DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: NEGRO CASAS vs. KUSHIDA

NEGRO CASAS vs. KUSHIDA  

74 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE NEGRO CASAS

KUSHIDA is dope, manages to incorporate his flips without them ever looking particularly contrived, had a great BOSJ run and title matches against Ishii and Taguchi.........

but yeah. He's not beating Negro Casas nor should he.

• Like 2

Agree with Nick.  Kushida got dicked by the random draw here. Really he's your mid-major who if the brackets had fallen right could have gone on a run to the Sweet Sixteen or even the Elite Eight.  And I think Casas' year last year was actually down from the prior years.  But Casas is not someone I can justify voting Kushida over

I am going to assume yes

Finding solo matches online for KUSHIDA was a little on the frustrating side.

Of course part of that is me being anal and trying to focus on solo work to make it a little easier for a judging perspective

Kushida has done a good job in the past year being good in any environment that he was presented in. He could work spotfest oriented tags, long singles matches, and even do some body part selling on those rare occurences. A really solid worker that is probably in my top 7-8 for New Japan.

Negro Casas last year probably had my least favorite year of his since 2011 yet I still don't know if there were 15 better workers worldwide. Casas wins.

I am going to assume yes

Finding solo matches online for KUSHIDA was a little on the frustrating side.

Of course part of that is me being anal and trying to focus on solo work to make it a little easier for a judging perspective

Right, that makes sense.  You would probably have to draw from the BOSJ to get many KUSHIDA singles matches.  People should just be aware that that Ibushi match is a total trainwreck and not the best showcase for either man. 

Kushida has done a good job in the past year being good in any environment that he was presented it. He could work spotfest oriented tags, long singles matches, and even do some body part selling on those rare occurences. A really solid worker that is probably in my top 7-8 for New Japan.

Negro Casas last year probably had my least favorite year of his since 2011 yet I still don't know if there were 15 better workers worldwide. Casas wins.

This is a pretty good summation.

I will say that I think Kushida was hurt a bit by the fact that he didn't really get the Junior Title run some had hoped to see out of him.  When he was in singles matches last year he looked really, really good, but he never got the chance to build on it long term.  If he had six months of performances like his matches v. Ricochet, Liger (great match, borderline MOTY level) and Ishii, I'd have had no problem voting him over Casas. 

I like Casas but haven't watched much lucha in the relevant time span to vote in this round. I will say though, Kushida won me over last Spring. I liked him fine in tag matches but he had several brilliant performances in singles matches. The match he had in NYC was an eye opener for me. He connected with the crowd so well. In a building mixed with casual wrestling fans, "ROHbots" and NJPW fans, it seemed like he appealed to everyone there. It was a joy to watch.

This is hard to pick because I liked everything I've seen of both of these guys, but haven't loved anything from either of them.  This is like asking me what is my favorite Japanese steakhouse.  They are essentially exactly the same in my mind.  I'm going to pick Kushida, because I've seen more of him and I like Japanese Jr. wrestling better than I like lucha.