DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK

ALBERTO EL PATRON vs. DREW GULAK  

90 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Gulak is one of those guys I should actively try to track down more often. I've seen him in like five or six matches (including that AR Fox match linked above), and I enjoy him each time. 

ADR/Patron had that fun Sin Cara match on Main Event, but honestly, I can't remember anything else he's done this year. 

I feel like people who leave wwe get a bump in popularity for no real reason. Alberto was awful in for the first half of the year, unmotivated and formulaic. He has been better since he left, but nothing he has done has made me seek out matches or view him differently. Gulak, on the other hand, has been a major part of the best Indy wrestling has to offer for the entire year. His best is better than Alberto, and his worst isn't nearly as boring. I don't see any reason beyond name recognition to vote for ADP.

Gulak was one of the best wrestlers in the World last year.  If someone said he was the absolute best I wouldn't argue it.  35 minute mat classics with fucking Joe Gacy of all people in a warehouse, MOTY candidate v. Busick on 4/27, the best series of matches all year v. Thatcher spanning multiple promotions, carrying overrated turds and frauds like Ricochet, Papadon, et. to good matches.  Really good tag match w/Busick v. The Bucks.  I like Del Rio/Patron but this isn't even difficult.  Gulak is vastly superior in every way based on the time period in question 

• Like 1

Gulak is the easy pick.  I could never get into ADR.  Nowadays he's presented as this hero, especially with how he left WWE.  But try as I might it's impossible to get into his matches.

With Gulak from the couple matches I've seen he is just straight up better.  Better wrestler, and his matches held my interest a lot more than any ADR match.

Too bad he's going to lose.

What are Alberto's best matches I should check out before voting? His last few months in WWE are a blur in my head. I've seen his ROH stuff, but what are his best matches in AAA and WWE from March up until his release? The one thing he does have going for him was that incredible promo he cut for Lucha Underground before the Texano run-in. So much passion.

I'm watching all the Gulak matches that are up on youtube from the past year (including the Gacy match Dylan mentioned) and will track down the Busick match from April. I've avoided CZW like the plague because CZW but I'm more than willing to give this guy a fair shake.

Are we voting for Gullak's masked work too?

You are voting for whatever a person did in the time period.

I mean otherwise Juan Cena would have had to be in this

I voted ADR but Gulak is a top notch wrestler. To me, ADR is a more versatile performer, but Gulak just gets better by the year and will be the face of indy wrestling pretty soon, unless he gets picked up by the WWE before that happens. This was a tough choice, but I just enjoyed Alberto more. Never quite understood why so many people find him boring.

So right now it is a tie.   Forgive me for my lack of March Madness history but does both get eliminated? 

Gulak work in the last couple years has trounced El Patron for me although I admit to not watching any AAA.    Although luckily this was in March before the eventual Nick Gage CZW feud that will ruin him for next year.

So right now it is a tie. Forgive me for my lack of March Madness history but does both get eliminated?

Gulak work in the last couple years has trounced El Patron for me although I admit to not watching any AAA. Although luckily this was in March before the eventual Nick Gage CZW feud that will ruin him for next year.

I believe Phil said he will break any ties with his vote.

To clear it up since everyone else is being obtuse due to their Chikara markdom - Gulak is/was one of the Ants (fuck me if I can remember which one - Soldier I think)