DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: ROMAN REIGNS vs. ULTIMO GUERRERO

ROMAN REIGNS vs. ULTIMO GUERRERO  

91 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Ultimo Guerrero went from years of either coasting or overexposure or not having interesting opponents, to really breaking out of the pack, having pretty much the biggest match of his already main-event career, working like a maestro (or a boss, sure) on the indies, and having a fire lit under him, sans mask, vs Rush. Reigns backlash aside, the guy really deserves it this year. 

Reigns's Final Four appearance last year needs to be vacated like those Fab Five Michigan teams.

Depends. I we are basing his appearance based strictly on "amount of great matches he was in", it still holds. Even if he was the worst guy in all of them, he had his role and her player it better then almost anyone ever had.

Unfortunately for him, singles star is a role he doesn't fit nearly as well.

Yeah, Reigns has those six-man tags with Evolution, BUT now that we know he was protected by five other guys who are actually good at the pro wrestling, those mean less to me in his case. Plus, I'm beginning to think that it's hard to actually screw up a six-man tag and make it less than good.

Matt D made enough of a case for Ultimo Guerrero around here that I know he's better on my limited watching of him. 

I don't give a shit how good that mask match is. Every time Ultimo popped up on the Cadena Tres show (the only broadcast CMLL my TV got) he was in the worst or second worst match of whatever episode he was on. There's no amount of Good Big Matches that outweighs those hours of my life that are gone forever.

Also, the Evolution/Shield matches are in the eligible period. So yeah. Roman, here.

• Like 1

Shit, I picked the wrong guy, how do I retract that?  I meant to pick Ultimo.

This is the easiest matchup of the day.  Roman has a ways to go before proving himself as a single.  The match against Bryan was great, as were the tag matches, but that wasn't really because of him.  I'd like to see him have a great match against somebody who isn't as good Bryan.  Then I'd consider him.

But thank goodness I've been watching CMLL on Azteca.  Ultimo is my pick (well, I at least hope so if I could change that)

I can't help feeling that the mask vs. mask match itself is overhyped at this point.  I feel like the transitions and selling are highly suspect especially during the third fall as they take a a lot of time laying around after simple pinning combinations.  Also net appreciated is when they stop in the middle of the fall just to look at the crowd for no reason. 

Not to put this blame on Ultimo Guerrero but the match's camera direction takes you away from the action to show you establishing crowd shots for no reason.  The referee is also hopelessly awful.

I'm one of the few who really liked Reigns/Orton at SummerSlam last year. Thought the Reigns/Rollins RAW match in September was excellent and they had another good one not too long ago. Great Evolution/Shield tags and a MOTYC with Bryan just a couple weeks ago. Also had several of the Shield/Wyatt tags including the really good one on Main Event in April. Good TV matches recently with Rusev and Harper. Thought that SD tag turmoil last month was quite good too. Reigns being shit on for his push here.

• Like 2

I can't help feeling that the mask vs. mask match itself is overhyped at this point.  I feel like the transitions and selling are highly suspect especially during the third fall as they take a a lot of time laying around after simple pinning combinations.  Also net appreciated is when they stop in the middle of the fall just to look at the crowd for no reason. 

Not to put this blame on Ultimo Guerrero but the match's camera direction takes you away from the action to show you establishing crowd shots for no reason.  The referee is also hopelessly awful.

Some of that is fair, but UG has a lot of other things on his resume. I think the mask vs mask match is somewhat overhyped because it made a lot of people who haven't felt connected to lucha in a long time feel something again. I could be wrong about that.

Some of that is fair, but UG has a lot of other things on his resume. I think the mask vs mask match is somewhat overhyped because it made a lot of people who haven't felt connected to lucha in a long time feel something again. I could be wrong about that.

One of the reasons it was a good match to me is because I thought it was a sure thing Atlantis would be dropping his mask there and maybe retiring, considering how old he was and how the feud seemed like UG was gonna win it.  So it was pretty shocking to see UG lose instead.

I'm not voting because I haven't seen any lucha. Like, ever, other than When. So there's no way for me to understand anything involving Ultimo.

As much as Reigns was overrated last year, he's become underrated this year.

I never understood how anyone can say "He's clearly the fourth best..." when watching these matches. These aren't a series of one-on-one battles. Each person's role evolves the match into other parts.

I'm not voting because I haven't seen any lucha. Like, ever, other than When. So there's no way for me to understand anything involving Ultimo.

I never understood how anyone can say "He's clearly the fourth best..." when watching these matches. These aren't a series of one-on-one battles. Each person's role evolves the match into other parts.

And Reigns was to get fired up on the apron and make a really cool hot tag. It's an important role, but also the easiest. 

Gregg, from the outside in: Ultimo Guerrero is sort of like a Triple H with a cool mask who came up in an upstart tag team and then sort of solidified as a lead heel, really just coasting on by for years, except for Los Guerreros del Atlantida were way cooler than Evolution. At times they were really over with parts of the crowd like they were bandit populists. He's also a link back to Satanico, who you'd probably love, if only for the skits where he does all sorts of evil things. 

This last year he broke out of the mold he had been stuck in forever and really got to do a lot more. He deserves to make it to round two at least. 

And Reigns was to get fired up on the apron and make a really cool hot tag. It's an important role, but also the easiest. 

I know it's not in the voting period, but I've seen Wyatts/Shield at EC probably 500 times. And this could not be further from the truth in this match. The whole final third of the match revolves around Reigns being the last of his soldiers remaining, fighting against all odds and nearly finding his way to defeat The Shield's greatest rivals.

Also, Reigns' role was more doing trash talk. What, he's doing that from the ring apron? He was beasting people in the ring, laying down trash talk and doing cut-offs and/or eating hope spots leading to hot tags.

I have way too much in my life going on to watch every Shield match ever to write up about how incredibly wrong this theory everyone has. Actually, I don't have that much going on.