DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: AJ STYLES vs. RICCOHET (Prince Puma)

AJ STYLES vs. RICCOHET  

92 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

"Ricochet"

HA! What is so funny is that I had that in the WOTD thread and was like "Well I clearly I fucked that up"

Because my stupid brain thought what I typed today trumped 6 months ago.

This one is tough because they both had really good years, but AJ takes this. Last year, I would have said Ricochet easily. 

Between the G1 and several other NJ shows, ROH, and a solid Jersey All Pro match against Sydal, Styles was so much fun to watch. Never liked Styles that much before this year, and I can do without the lame "Too Sweet me" Bullet Club stuff, but the guy delivered big time.

Ricochet impressed so much in New Japan that I thought he was a lock to get signed there full time. And his stuff for DGUSA/Evolve was really good too. He had two awesome matches in LU also.

Like I said, both did great this year, but I think Styles had more memorable matches overall. Injuring a few people with the Clash is pretty bad though. That is definitely a big mark against him.

I have almost caught up in my Lucha Underground watching, but I'm having a hard time getting into Puma. I prefer AJ's work in New Japan, which is mostly what I've seen from him. Good year for AJ. 

I think it's telling that the only disappointing/eh AJ match I can remember seeing last year was against Ricochet.

I'm not saying AJ should win this whole thing, but I wouldn't have a problem if he did.  And most of the guys I would be likely to vote for over him are going to get bounced early

This is one matchup that I think they actually did recently.  I like Ricochet, and as Prince Puma he's been great.  But botched Styles Clash aside, I'm going with AJ.  He got out of TNA and made himself more relevant than he's been in years.  That, and he's had great matches ranging from Hanson to Okada.  And most of them have been pretty damn great and better.

Yeah, even if you're not an AJ fan, that's kind of a crazy statement. Between the two, Styles had a bigger high profile year than Ricochet. 

I think that depends on your stance on kayfabe.  Ricochet's 2014 is pretty damn close to unmatched on "Best overall years by an indy wrestler ever" in kayfabe sense. Open the Dream Gate, Open the Freedom Gate, Best of the Super Juniors, Battle of Los Angeles, Lucha Underground Title. That's a pretty ridiculous year for him.

Not sure it ranks up with 2 IWGP title reigns, but it looks damn good on paper.

• Like 1

Only means he lost it once this year; I couldn't find my car keys this morning before work, vote for me for 2014 March Madness winner! Oh, I forget, I didn't misplace my keys in Japan, so that should hurt me in the voting ...

Fuck "high profile." Go Team Ricochet!

Only means he lost it once this year; I couldn't find my car keys this morning before work, vote for me for 2014 March Madness winner! Oh, I forget, I didn't misplace my keys in Japan, so that should hurt me in the voting ...

Fuck "high profile." Go Team Ricochet!

Dude. I love Ricochet and your making me want to change my vote to AJ.