DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I really want to see Joe come in with an Anorexic Samoan gimmick. Always purging after his matches. A second who keeps screeching at people backstage that he's barely 110 pounds. Have him lose winnable matches due to a lack of sustenance.

Afa then takes him under his wing and trains him to be a Headshrinker.

Brian Fowler, on 02 Mar 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:Brian Fowler, on 02 Mar 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

Edge was a hell of a gimmick match worker, but on his best night he couldn't have had that match with Bryan Triple H did.

mattdangerously, on 02 Mar 2015 - 01:29 AM, said:

Some wrestlers could carry a broomstick to a great match. Edge needed to be carried by inanimate objects to all his best matches.

None of this addresses my point that prime Edge would've done the same business in 2000 with Folley, Rock, and the McMahons that HHH did. HHH has a few standout non gimmick matches in a 15 year main event career. I'm not saying HHH is trash or that he didn't draw I'm saying Edge in the same spot does equal or better business. I'm not even that much of a fan of Edge, but I really don't see much difference in the two.

With the Brock/Vince news contributing to people reaching peak Roman Reigns Derangement System, when these RRDS folks reach their peak and do quit WWE, will that actually help Reigns because the people who would boo him for curing cancer, ending world hunger, end all wars and pinning Brock Lesnar will not be at shows or watching the show for his run as champion?

Over the last twenty years, I wonder who we could agree are bigger stars than Triple H.  Obviously Austin and Rock. John Cena. Hogan and Flair. Maybe Undertaker though I would say they are probably about even. I don't think I could argue Michaels or Bret over Triple H. They are probably all in the second tier. Lesnar is an interesting case. He was so huge as UFC champion.

Since 1995 I'd go Tier one.. 

1. The Rock

2. Stone Cold

3. Hogan

4. Cena

5. Lesnar

6. Goldberg

Then (no particular order) Sting, Taker, Flair, Bret, HBK, HHH.. 

If we're considering simply after 95, I'd consider dropping Bret for Edge.

I don't really understand the complaint that Triple H didn't "earn" his spot and kept it over the years due to his McMahon connections.  He was already established as a top heel when he and Steph got together,  And, assuming he did use his "backstage powarz" to keep his spot, so?  Are we pretending that hasn't been done a buncha times before in this business?  'Cause.... Dusty, Hogan, Flair, HBK, just to name a couple.

I'd probably prefer to sit through Triple H's meddling as opposed to Hogan.  Hogan supposedly meddled in the programs of guys he had no plans to wrestle (he wanted heels to drop falls, in case he worked a program with that heel some day.  It would mean more if the heel squashed all other babyfaces, then jobbed to Hogan.  Sigh).

I definitely prefer Trips to late-80's morbidly obese Dusty Rhodes, who made sure every heel in sight ran into his bionic elbow and managed to kill the heat of quite a few babyfaces by booking them in dull midcard programs. 

I don't think HHH As Equal to Rock or Austin ever felt organic. He's just not. He doesn't have the nebulous It Factor - which is code for Million Watt Charisma - and he never did. Good hand and solid promo but I'm dubious as to whether he ever drew a dime. At every step of his career, there was someone who was more over than him organically. Early, it was Bret, Shawn, Diesel, Razor, etc. Later it was Rock and Austin, and towards the end of his regular career it was Cena with some momentary others - Angle, Guerrero, Lesnar - who were also more over than him. Sure, he's reliably the fourth or fifth most over dude on the card, but whoopty fucking doo.

tl;dr: Jericho is a better comparison for HHH than The Rock.

• Like 2

I'd probably prefer to sit through Triple H's meddling as opposed to Hogan.  Hogan supposedly meddled in the programs of guys he had no plans to wrestle (he wanted heels to drop falls, in case he worked a program with that heel some day.  It would mean more if the heel squashed all other babyfaces, then jobbed to Hogan.  Sigh).

Perfectly logical booking since Hulk was the top face. 

I definitely prefer Trips to late-80's morbidly obese Dusty Rhodes, who made sure every heel in sight ran into his bionic elbow and managed to kill the heat of quite a few babyfaces by booking them in dull midcard programs. 

Explains why the Road Warriors and Rock and Roll Express were never over. Not like guys like Sting and Luger built careers off the pushes Dusty gave them.

Another big difference is Dusty and Hulk actually drew money without an asterisk by their name. 

• Like 4

So Nattie tweeted a picture of her at the gym with Eva Marie saying both are going to be at RAW, supposedly AJ is as well. Do we get Eva Marie/AJ III where we can see if Eva can get her third win against the former Divas champion in a 10 minute bout. (I hope Vince tweets #GaveEvaAChance)

• Like 1

What in the blue hell was that?!

Nakamura finding a way to make that video hilariously awesome rather than creepy. 

I want to see a Dean Ambrose/Shinsuke Nakamura feud. Or wait, maybe I want to see them tag together. 

Explains why the Road Warriors and Rock and Roll Express were never over. Not like guys like Sting and Luger built careers off the pushes Dusty gave them.

Another big difference is Dusty and Hulk actually drew money without an asterisk by their name. 

It would be a great dick move if Vince booked the divas in a thirty minute match for them to bomb in. Something like Nikki Bella vs Natty in a best of three falls match. 

Rosa vs. Eva Marie, 60-minute Iron Woman match.

Also put Cameron in as ref, just to see how many times she'll try to count when they're facedown on the mat.

• Like 1