DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

And don't forget to warn the fathers to lock up their daughters - Single Randy Orton is back on the prowl!

The TMZ report revealed two things:

1) WWE protects the gimmick even in divorce hearings (they listed his monthly salary at nearly $300K, which Meltz promptly laughed at)

2) Randy Orton's ex is some kind of saint. She walked away with a house, a car, jewelry, a $100K engagement ring, a $600K bank account, full custody of their daughter and only $5,400/month in child support. Orton keeps everything else (somewhere in the range of $3million+ and all of his cars, motorcycle, guns, and the other house), and all future WWE earnings. 

The Wyatt Family did not look very good Monday. Red beard guy looked lost and tripped up black beard guy more than once. They looked too Nexus and not enough Shield. 

Red Beard Guy can be the new Evad Sullivan or Norman the Lunatic

I loved the on-location spots with the Wyatts. Very creepy. The debut was cool. The lantern/darkness entrance and then Bray sitting in the rocking chair... very good. I hated the "Husky" chants as well but it didn't ruin the moment. Sheep mask dude is not very good but I like Brodie Lee.

The Wyatt Family did not look very good Monday. Red beard guy looked lost and tripped up black beard guy more than once. They looked too Nexus and not enough Shield. 

I actually liked that. They're supposed to be backwoods monsters. It's supposed to be out-of-control.

• Like 1

I gotta think that puro's current lack of TV penetration is the only reason that Suzuki isn't an Austin-level star. He's the surly fuck you have to love.

Well put. I'd like Suzuki to get an IWGP Heavyweight Title reign at some point.

Randy Orton's ex is some kind of saint. She walked away with a house, a car, jewelry, a $100K engagement ring, a $600K bank account, full custody of their daughter and only $5,400/month in child support. Orton keeps everything else (somewhere in the range of $3million+ and all of his cars, motorcycle, guns, and the other house), and all future WWE earnings. 

Meltz also said her family was fairly well-to-do in the first place, so it's not like she's going to be out in the cold any time soon.

I actually liked that. They're supposed to be backwoods monsters. It's supposed to be out-of-control.

Agreed. The Shield are (kayfabe and otherwise) accomplished, world-travelling wrestlers coordinating tactical assaults. Harper and Rowan stumbled out of the swamp and followed their cult leader's orders to beat up a fire-controlling necrophiliac. They shouldn't look polished.

• Like 15

Meltz also said her family was fairly well-to-do in the first place, so it's not like she's going to be out in the cold any time soon.

Of all the people to have a fairly easy-looking and amicable split - Randy Orton wouldn't have come anywhere near my list.

Speaking of marriages and divorces, poor Bully Ray.  Brooke Hogan with no respect for the sanctity of marriage or the kay fab.

Maria Kanellis brought that shit on herself.  You can't run around telling tales on people and not think that's going to blowback on you at some point.  Especially, when you're such a marginal talent like her.  Hopefully, Bennett won't end up paying for it too.

WWE really dropped the ball with Ryback.  They might've had their new Cena/Hogan last year going into HITC and inspite of losing every match against The Shield, he was surprisingly still really over going into WrestleMania.  Now, I don't even know what he's supposed to be.  It's like if Hogan came in and instead of beating Sheik for the title, he lost because Danny Davis popped him in the nuts and then went on to lose matches against the Heenan Family for months until turning heel on WWF Champion Bob Backlund out of nowhere and then started hanging out with Moolah.

Wish the Wyatt Family had attacked the McMahon Family instead of Kane.  Would've made them instant main event players.  Could've laid out Vince and Trips and kidnapped Stephanie and been all, "Your old lady belongs to ol' Bray Wyatt now" and "Your grandbabies lay awake at night afraid of the imaginary monsters under their bed when they should lay awake afraid of a real monster like Bray Wyatt".

Then you get Triple H trying to run through the Wyatt Family to get to Wyatt but the NUMBERS GAME!  So Vince has to hire some backup in the form of Col. Parker's Stud Stable.  Wyatt Family vs. Trips, BUNKHOUSE BUCK!, and THE MONSTER MENG! in an Elimination Chamber War Games.

• Like 5

The attack itself wasn't great but the entrance and the vignettes were excellent. Very good atmosphere, and consistent. I also really liked the shot with the stairs at the end, I don't care how gimmicked it was.

Also I just think it'll be cool to see someone working a match on TV in jeans again.

• Like 1

-A match at the WWE NXT tapings featured Sami Zayn (El Generico) against Antonio Cesaro in a two out of three falls match. It was described as one of the best WWE matches in years. Fans in attendance even chanted "match of the year" and gave the two a standing ovation.

-

-Antonio Cesaro d. Sami Zayn in a 2-out-of-3 falls match. I think it was about 20:00. Just ridiculously good; one of the best TV matches you're ever going to see. The first fall took only seconds—Zayn hit a flip dive on Cesaro before he even got to the ring, threw him in, rolled him up and pinned him. The crowd loved this, and sang Zayn/Generico's old "Ole" music to celebrate—as over as he is here, a lot of the crowd has still remembered him best from his old gimmick. Cesaro took the advantage quickly in the second fall, but it had a lot more length to it, as Zayn got a few hope spots, and kicked out of a bunch of near falls before Cesaro finally caught him for a submission. The third fall was magical. Cesaro kicked out of a Canadian destroyer. Zayn kicked out after a picture-perfect uppercut. Zayn hit a tornado DDT after diving through the ropes across one corner of the ring. It was around this time that you started to hear "Sami" chants a lot more than "Ole"s. Also, a lot more "NXT" chants than I've ever heard here before. The finishing sequence: Zayn came off the top rope, looking for another tornado DDT. Cesaro caught him, went to throw him off, but Zayn got him in a headlock, going for a choke in midair. He didn't have the body scissors, though, and so Cesaro got hold of Zayn's legs, muscled him up overhead, then dropped him into a perfect uppercut. Cesaro picked him up immediately (no playing to the crowd), brought him to the middle and hit the neutralizer for the clean 3. Both guys got a standing O, with lots of "Match of the Year" and "Sami" chants.

The attack itself wasn't great but the entrance and the vignettes were excellent. Very good atmosphere, and consistent.

Great initial reaction from the crowd as well, lots of high pitched screams/cries from the kids and women. I just hope they don't get bogged down in a Kane fued for too long, because I'm not sure that even Bray's promos could carry that enough.

The rumored Kane/Undertaker vs Wyatt Family match doesn't sound all that too appealing to me (Though it probably won't happen because Undertaker is injured again).  I'd rather see them go after a less monstrous face, like Dolph Ziggler.

The rumored Kane/Undertaker vs Wyatt Family match doesn't sound all that too appealing to me (Though it probably won't happen because Undertaker is injured again).  I'd rather see them go after a less monstrous face, like Dolph Ziggler.

The Wyatt's forcibly baptizing AJ in some brackish stormwater near their compound would rule. AJ in that sheep mask would create an Earth Crisis-level firestorm of pervy fan-fic, too.Wyatt Family vs. Dolph/Big E. would be a lot of fun.

The Wyatt beatdown suffered from not having them dance around and sing and act insane enough. As it was, it just looked like two big guys from anywhere between 1988-2013 doing a slow WWE style beatdown. They could have been Earthquake and Typhoon or The Barbarian and The Sanitation Worker.

It seemed so generic after the videos and Bray's awesome entrance.

They needed more of the ole' TCM/THE WICKER MAN random skipping in circles and chanting things like "'NAM TIME! 'NAM TIME!!!!!" or something. Myabe even a third little dude to jump around and cackle.

Two big wrestlers don't scare me. Two mentally deficient hillbillies who are impervious to pain and reason...you're getting there.

The Wyatt beatdown suffered from not having them dance around and sing and act insane enough. As it was, it just looked like two big guys from anywhere between 1988-2013 doing a slow WWE style beatdown. They could have been Earthquake and Typhoon or The Barbarian and The Sanitation Worker.

Could they have been Mike Knox and Luke Gallows?

The Wyatt beatdown suffered from not having them dance around and sing and act insane enough. As it was, it just looked like two big guys from anywhere between 1988-2013 doing a slow WWE style beatdown. They could have been Earthquake and Typhoon or The Barbarian and The Sanitation Worker.It seemed so generic after the videos and Bray's awesome entrance.They needed more of the ole' TCM/THE WICKER MAN random skipping in circles and chanting things like "'NAM TIME! 'NAM TIME!!!!!" or something. Myabe even a third little dude to jump around and cackle.Two big wrestlers don't scare me. Two mentally deficient hillbillies who are impervious to pain and reason...you're getting there.

In NXT, they were constantly yelling/moaning "yeahyeahyeah!!" during matches and beatdowns. It was obnoxious but effective, and the debut probably could have used some little tic like that, certainly. I'd still argue that the guy smiling beatifically in a rocking chair while they tried to decapitate Kane made them seem plenty unhinged.