DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

Re: Douglas, his best match in ECW was sure versus Scorpio from The Doctor is In in 1996 - although he had an unexpectedly great match with Justin Credible at Cyberslam 1999  - who was responsible for that?

You are thinking of A Matter Of Respect, they didn't have a match at The Doctor Is In. That is probably Douglas' best career match, although there are some others that'd be close. He had a hell of a match with Foley in February of '96, and I'd really like to revisit his PPV title match against Bam Bam which I loved at the time. Of course some of the Steamboat tag work would be up there as well.

- WWE is still hoping that Stone Cold Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at Wrestlemania 30. If he is cleared and interested, an idea has been pitched. The idea is that Stone Cold would fight Triple H at the PPV for control of the WWE. Austin would represent Vince McMahon.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

- Here are the latest WWE injury updates on Undertaker, Big Show, Kofi Kingston and Rey Mysterio…

• Undertaker: As previously reported, Undertaker is still having shoulder issues and did have surgery following WrestleMania. He will rehab and the plan is for him to come back for his annual WrestleMania run.

• Kofi Kingston: Is expected back in two weeks and will join the WWE's tour of Australia. He is recovering from elbow surgery.

• Big Show: Scheduled to return on Monday's Raw. Was out due to a knee injury, but was still limping around at the MITB PPV. Show noticeably had lost weight and is looking to drop more.

• Rey Mysterio: Currently undergoing stem cell treatment to regenerate his knee ligaments. Mysterio is doing this to avoid major surgery and for him to return in three months.

- WWE is still hoping that Stone Cold Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at Wrestlemania 30. If he is cleared and interested, an idea has been pitched. The idea is that Stone Cold would fight Triple H at the PPV for control of the WWE. Austin would represent Vince McMahon. 

So dumb.  Why would that character give a damn about the WWE? or who controls it?  It makes no sense.  He should only show up, like Rock, to put some mouthy mother in their place or, like Brock, to correct some injustice (minus the "I just hated not getting to hurt people").

Or he should show up to put that mouthy mother Rock in his place and to correct the injustice that is Brock.

They would almost have to take Punk off the damn show to run anything else with Austin.  The fans just wouldn't let it happen.  I could get behind Cena/Austin after the initial disappointment, but yuck that HHH idea is just horrible on so many levels.

Let's change the subject.  I'm only about 5 minutes into this interview, but it's pretty awesome. 

Well if the story about The McMahonomania power stuggle is supposed to run from now till Wrestlemania 30, it makes sense Vince would want someone to take on Triple H. They would have to back up a dump truck full of money to get Austin to wrestle Triple H in something so lame though. Austin himself said if he was to come back, it would be a two to four month program so he wouldn't just come back for something dumb.

Jesus, HHH vs. Austin for control of WWE at Wrestlemania in 2014 sounds like the sort of thing somebody railing against how out of touch McMahon is would make up. How could anyone thaink that's a good idea?

Re: Douglas, his best match in ECW was sure versus Scorpio from The Doctor is In in 1996 - although he had an unexpectedly great match with Justin Credible at Cyberslam 1999  - who was responsible for that?

I always enjoyed Douglas' work in ECW, but after he dropped the strap to Taz, he had a fire lit under his ass for that short run as a babyface before he bolted to WCW.  That match against Credible is fn amazing, and the crowd was on fire for that.  Douglas & Credible were just laying the chops in in that bad boy.

Justin Credible is someone we have kinda looked over a bit in this discussion, as he is generally considered a subpar or boring guy, but he had a ton of good matches against a wide variety of guys, and it wasn't because they were all carrying him.  Credible had really good matches with Lynn, Sandman, Dreamer, Douglas, and the Impact players were awesome no matter who they were against.  People were fired up because he went over, but the matches w/ Sasuke were good.  I didn't like his matches with Sabu though...

Don't worry that Austin story isn't even in the Observer

Yes, it is. 

I don’t want to say working idea, because that’s too strong a statement, but a working idea for next year’s Mania main event is Austin vs. HHH, with the control of the company at stake, with Austin representing Vince. That would indicate HHH ends up as the heel because no way Austin comes back and is not the babyface. If that’s the idea, we’re talking a double turn since the simmering stuff so far as been HHH as the face (getting the face jokes in and being the one who says it doesn’t matter what I think, it’s all about business and what the fans want) and Vince as the heel (backing Vickie Guerrero, hiring Brad Maddox because he’s mad and punishing the fans for not seeing Vickie’s talents).

Ha! My bad. I guess when I searched I didn't load the page all the way hahaha. It's worded way different though, making it sound like an idea at the back of someone's mind

Oh sure, just laugh it off after you yelled at me and hurt my feelings...

• Like 4

I always enjoyed Douglas' work in ECW, but after he dropped the strap to Taz, he had a fire lit under his ass for that short run as a babyface before he bolted to WCW.  That match against Credible is fn amazing, and the crowd was on fire for that.  Douglas & Credible were just laying the chops in in that bad boy. Justin Credible is someone we have kinda looked over a bit in this discussion, as he is generally considered a subpar or boring guy, but he had a ton of good matches against a wide variety of guys, and it wasn't because they were all carrying him.  Credible had really good matches with Lynn, Sandman, Dreamer, Douglas, and the Impact players were awesome no matter who they were against.  People were fired up because he went over, but the matches w/ Sasuke were good.  I didn't like his matches with Sabu though...

Yes now that you mention it, Douglas was pretty good in ECW 1999 - he had a pretty good match against Tax at House Party 1999 that went all over the place...Re: Credible, I had completely forgotten the Lynn series,looking back was this both guys best work in ECW?

Jesus, HHH vs. Austin for control of WWE at Wrestlemania in 2014 sounds like the sort of thing somebody railing against how out of touch McMahon is would make up. How could anyone thaink that's a good idea?

I can see how WWE would think it's a good idea.  It's the two biggest starts they can get (Assuming Rock is out) wrestling in the main event.  Plus, with all the smark rage/hate of Triple H, people will tune in to see Austin win.

Let's change the subject.  I'm only about 5 minutes into this interview, but it's pretty awesome. 

This was an awesome interview.  Like it was mentioned it covers his time in Calgary, OVW - his adoration for Andre, his attitude (and how it's changed), his future, that time the cage door wouldn't come off, riding with Yokozuna and much more. This was very good stuff.

Justin Credible is someone we have kinda looked over a bit in this discussion, as he is generally considered a subpar or boring guy, but he had a ton of good matches against a wide variety of guys, and it wasn't because they were all carrying him.  Credible had really good matches with Lynn, Sandman, Dreamer, Douglas, and the Impact players were awesome no matter who they were against.  People were fired up because he went over, but the matches w/ Sasuke were good.  I didn't like his matches with Sabu though...

I completely agree with you. I still remember him having a real good match at a Danbury house show against a broken down Jack Victory, and I feel that of all the ECW champions he had the best and most consistent match quality.

This was an awesome interview.  Like it was mentioned it covers his time in Calgary, OVW - his adoration for Andre, his attitude (and how it's changed), his future, that time the cage door wouldn't come off, riding with Yokozuna and much more. This was very good stuff.

Great Calgary stories.  The whole interview puts a lot of Henry's career in perspective. 

Posted Image

I wonder if this is the picture Stu carried in his wallet?

• Like 1

I really loved the little bits about how/why he improved.  Two specific moments:

- When discussing the fake-retirement promo, Henry mentions taking acting classes in 2005 because Dr. James Andrews told him he wouldn't be able to wrestle again. 

-He mentions not wanting to be the big angry black guy because it would feed into negative stereotypes, and how he had to come to terms with that, leading in to his initial hall of pain run.