DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

So that episode in particular with Jesse, Spooge, his wife, and their son is the episode that basically made me stop watching Breaking Bad 2 or 3 times. I just couldn't get past that episode. It was some of the most heartbreaking shit to see with that little kid in that meth house and it was too heavy to go on after. I obviously eventually got past it and watched the series twice over, but it was that episode in particular that was some of the heaviest shit to see. No pun intended.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

So that episode in particular with Jesse, Spooge, his wife, and their son is the episode that basically made me stop watching Breaking Bad 2 or 3 times. I just couldn't get past that episode. It was some of the most heartbreaking shit to see with that little kid in that meth house and it was too heavy to go on after. I obviously eventually got past it and watched the series twice over, but it was that episode in particular that was some of the heaviest shit to see. No pun intended.

Oh man.  I didn't have kids the first two times I saw that episode (I've watched all of BB twice).  I'm not sure I could handle it now.

Edited by Technico Support

There was a brilliant moment when Gus was scrubbing the tiles where that Michael Myers-esque mask of his fell completely away and he turned into a cornered rat hissing with fear ("He can't strike yet!"). It was blink-and-you-miss-it but it was there. Giancarlo is such a great actor. 

• Like 3

I loved the framing of the Lalo scene coming immediately after the bunker scene. Anytime they show that thing, I always think of Werner and how Lalo asked everyone about him initially. To have that payoff finally come around is brilliant.

Part of me wonders if Kim and Jimmy's plan involved Hamlin figuring out the deal. Also I foresee Mike's tail men to end up crossing paths with Hamlin's and spooking them off.

I mean if using Google in 2004 to find info about the name Verner Zeigler is a Batman skill... then sure?

This isn't high level detective work. He knows the guy's name. He saw the video footage so he knows what he looks like. You Google the name and see his picture with an obituary. Boom case solved. Took 14 minutes of his time and an internet connection. If that's all it takes I guess we are all Batman lol

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I mean if using Google in 2004 to find info about the name Verner Zeigler is a Batman skill... then sure?

This isn't high level detective work. He knows the guy's name. He saw the video footage so he knows what he looks like. You Google the name and see his picture with an obituary. Boom case solved. Took 14 minutes of his time and an internet connection. If that's all it takes I guess we are all Batman lol

youre-batman-batman.gif

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Listen, I don't know you, but yes, you may be able to Google something just like Lalo, BUT do you look as suave while doing it?  I doubt it. 

That's not a knock on you!  Who among us could be so smooth?  I'd say none.  None could be so smooth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Continuing down my Kim is the Walt of this show theory... (Episode 6 spoilers ahead)

Her impetuous to pull this scheme with Jimmy is to get money to fully fund her pro bono work. Yet here she is, on her way to a meeting that would give her full funding to work on her pro bono work on the up & up, deciding that the scheme is more important than the meeting and bailing. Showing that this was never actually about the pro bono work. Kim isn't in the pro bono business, she's in the empire business. Just like Walt. She's addicted to the feeling of getting away with things she knows she shouldn't. And that's the appeal of dating Jimmy for her too.

They sure are foreshadowing pretty heavily that whatever that is that they're gonna slip into Howard's drink is going to do more damage than expected. It sure feels like Howard is about to die and Kim will have to decide to do time or disappear. Or maybe it's all a brilliant misdirection. Either way I'm enjoying the ride.

I do wish this last season had the pacing of Breaking Bad's last season. So much shit happened in just the first half of their last season. This show is not matching that. It's still gripping tv. But so far we've had one death, one gun hidden in a lab, and not much else happening.

• Like 3

I'm loving how Saul's move into the deeper criminal underworld is going to happen because the criminal veterinarian is going legit. 

"I think we found the Zodiac Killer!" 

Also, the vacuum cleaner repair man's business card was in there. 

Poor Francesa!  Spends all that time getting the office redone into a calm, safe space, only for it to literally get pissed on.  Do we get to see the remodel into the gaudy shithole it eventually becomes or is it left offscreen?

Return of the student filmmakers!

For a while there, I thought this was the midseason finale.  Glad it wasn't, thought it was a step up from last ep.  Like @Ultimo Necro said, LOTS of table setting here.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I'm loving this season. I also thought about the body count and BCS is a lot different than BB in that you're not going to get a high body count. Honestly, by the end of this, if it's only Jimmy's brother, the German, Nacho, and Lalo that kick the bucket then that makes sense to me. 

I also love that I have no idea what Jimmy and Kim's scheme is. Really looking forward to the midseason finale. 

Also, the Nebraska license plate on Kim's mom's car. Maybe that's why Jimmy chose Nebraska?

• Like 4

Mid-sesason finale tonight. I saw a post from one of the writers trying to temper expectations because it was originally written as a 13 episode season with no break. So there may not be a very heavy handed cliffhanger tonight with that in mind.

He could also be a Russo and just trying to swerve bro. Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Yeah disregard what that writer tweeted out. Itssa Swerrwwwveee Broooooh.

Hell of an ending. And some great story telling too. Jimmy & Kim will be riddled with guilt since he would have never been there without the shenanigans. Very Breaking Bad like. They can't report the dead body either. So when the show comes back they're going to have to dispose of the body and not tell anyone making it 100x worse.

Love the Breaking Bad-verse so so much.

• Like 4