DVDVR Message Board

Country music

TimWresPowr

• 3 months later...

Listening to that Jason Isbell album and it is amazing. Great roadtrip by yourself album.

Glad to hear you dig it! Every time I listen to it, I find something new about it that appeals to me. The lyrical content is excellent, I think. Isbell writes really great stories, some inspired by his own life, and some that he just crafts. I feel like he'll be the guy that people look back on in a few years and discuss what a great songwriter he was in the way that people talk about Steve Earle, Guy Clark, and Townes Van Zandt now.

His new album is free here - http://www.npr.org/2015/07/08/420588068/first-listen-jason-isbell-something-more-than-free

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Thread necromancy - June Carter & Johnny Cash have the best banter ever, June plays San Antonio Rose on an autoharp that cannot begin to be described as in-tune while wearing a diamond ring that possibly weighs more than she does.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned Paul Cauthen. He's quite a hoss in the Johnny/Waylon baritone tradition. 

Ian Noe may be more in the "folk" tradition of songwriters; he can be downright serious like Bob Dylan but he's got a sweet and soulful sound a la Gram Parsons.

• Like 1

Before every pop country song was singing about butts in blue jeans, Mel McDaniel was doing it right, with a catchy guitar hook and a pretty body-positive outlook...

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, Horatio said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Paul Cauthen. He's quite a hoss in the Johnny/Waylon baritone tradition.

First song I heard by him was the amazing "Big Velvet".

4 hours ago, driver said:

First song I heard by him was the amazing "Big Velvet".

I immediately thought of "Marfa Lights" when i saw this thread, but that is the most psychedelic tune on his first album. I probably should have used "Big Velvet" to introduce him to the board as it so aptly describes his vocal chords. Is he right when he says we ain't ready for Big Velvet? I compared him to Johnny and Waylon, but Elvis may have been more appropriate. He's gotta be one of the most distinctive musical voices of this century. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Bustin' rocks for getting stoned..."

This is a hella weird performance from Mickey Newbury. He plays an instrument called an omnichord, which seems to be a mix of a synthesizer, autoharp, and steel-guitar. It's an extended version of "Workin' Man" from a recently unearthed song-trading gig he did with Larry Gatlin in the 80s. Not sure if it was meant for TV or what; the entire thing can be found on youtube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The lines between country and rock are being blurred even further by Jellyroll and Hardy. Hardy is the most surprising one because of the amazing "Wait In The Truck"(featuring the talented Lainey Wilson) and while listening to him on Youtube the video for Blurry came up(which I had heard before) and I had an "Oh shit!" moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...