DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers [Taped Feb. 3]

caley

FCW and NXT are the same damn thing a WWE developmental territory. Pretty much every guy they have on their roster right now came up through the WWE system be it in NXT, FCW, or OVW. Rollins, Reigns, Bray, Harper, Paige, and Rusev for starters came from NXT. If they don't do anything with people like Zayn, Neville, Owens, Charlotte, Sasha, Itami, Balor, Corbin, etc etc then there's a major fucking problem with the guys running things on the big show.

Patrick B., on 04 Feb 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

I have no expectations for the NXT guys once they make it to the main roster.  I don't see any of them going anywhere (MAYBE Corbin).

You don't think Zayn will get over in front of an audience that has made Bryan and Ziggler the two most over baby faces? Ziggler doesn't even have a likeable personality people just cheer him because he delivers in the ring. Zayn is about 10 times better at all things pro wrestling than Ziggler. I'd go as far to say Zayn has better baby face qualities than Bryan. He's certainly better on the mic, and is bringing the fire like no other face right now on top of delivering outstanding matches that fit the narrative of his storylines to a tee.

Now of course if he comes up dropping falls to Xavier Woods it could be an uphill battle, but in today's WWE a worker of Zayn's caliber has a better shot at getting over than ever.

• Like 1

As far as NXT callups go, there's been:

-Paige-Definitely not a bust.  She's traded the belt with AJ and Nikki and is on Total Divas.

-Rollins-Definitely not a bust.

-Emma-After Santino's retirement not much happened.

-Ascension-Wait and see but so far a bust.

-Sandow-In FCW mainly, cup of coffee in NXT.  In best role yet, but doesn't count as NXT for me.

-Roman definitely doesn't count as he was only in FCW, but they're claiming him as an NXT guy.

I'm blanking on others.

Wow, I have to take back my earlier statement, there's been some great callups.  I think that because they never trumpet that Rollins was in NXT people tend to forget he was there.  As far as testing the waters, there was a good reaction to the tag match they had on Raw.  Zayn and Neville really shone in that.  And people reacted quite favorably to Charlotte/Sasha from Main Event.  So there is cause for hope going forward.

There's also:

Big E - New Day is not looking like much so far, but Big E has not exactly been a bust. 

Bo - Bo has been great. He's been in a supporting role, but he almost got faceturned by the crowd because people dig the act. He's fine.

Rusev - definitely not a bust.

Adam Rose - okay, he's been a bust but they rushed the act on to TV.

• Like 1

AJ was already the Anti-Diva at that point.  Charlotte would be the anti-anti-diva

AJ was the hipster nerd anti-diva. Paige was the goth second generation anti-diva. you can sort of hear that it was intentional on her podcast appearance with Jericho. They brought her up and then basically told her not to do anything that had gotten her over in NXT.

I can see them runing about a 50% success rate with call-ups currently on the NXT roster. There are guys it would be incredibly hard to screw up (Zayn, Balor, Breeze) and guys that might be huge or might get completely lost in the shuffle (Neville, Itami, Corbin, Owens). But that would be roughly equal to the success rate of pretty much every other developmental system they've had. For every Brock or Batista there's a Paul Birchill or Ken Doane.

• Like 1

Patrick B., on 04 Feb 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

I have no expectations for the NXT guys once they make it to the main roster.  I don't see any of them going anywhere (MAYBE Corbin).

You don't think Zayn will get over in front of an audience that has made Bryan and Ziggler the two most over baby faces? Ziggler doesn't even have a likeable personality people just cheer him because he delivers in the ring. Zayn is about 10 times better at all things pro wrestling than Ziggler. I'd go as far to say Zayn has better baby face qualities than Bryan. He's certainly better on the mic, and is bringing the fire like no other face right now on top of delivering outstanding matches that fit the narrative of his storylines to a tee.

Now of course if he comes up dropping falls to Xavier Woods it could be an uphill battle, but in today's WWE a worker of Zayn's caliber has a better shot at getting over than ever.

I think he could get over, but it's a matter of how they use him once he's on the main roster.  Until that happens, it's all speculation.  Size doesn't matter quite as decisively as it once did, but it still matters.

Yeah basically everyone under 40 on the main roster came up through the WWE system. It's not like NXT is a drastic change from the way they did things in FCW.

Size matters to Vince, but to an audience that has made a 5'8 175 guy the most over wrestler in 10 years I doubt it does. Plus Sami is legit 6'0 and 200 lbs anyway. Neville's height might hinder him a little, but the guy is the most spectacular wrestler in WWE history. You would almost have to be trying to sabotage these guys not to get something good out of them on the main roster. 

I have very guarded expectations when it comes to the people I'm a fan of.  Last year, I figured that WWE would label Bryan as "injury-prone" if he came back and that seems to be what has happened.  At least now I know not to get my hopes up about him any more so I won't be disappointed.

AJ was already the Anti-Diva at that point.  Charlotte would be the anti-anti-diva

AJ was the hipster nerd anti-diva. Paige was the goth second generation anti-diva. you can sort of hear that it was intentional on her podcast appearance with Jericho. They brought her up and then basically told her not to do anything that had gotten her over in NXT.

This is the problem with the call ups. 

" You know what connects you with the audience? Yeah...stop doing that"

This is the problem with the call ups. 

" You know what connects you with the audience? Yeah...stop doing that"

WWE is run exactly how one would expect a business in the bizarro world to be run. 

As for Bryan/Kane, the only way a feud can end when a casket match isn't enough is a cremation match. The loser gets shoved in a 1600 degree retort. 

• Like 1

Dammit. I can't believe you just got me excited for Taker/Bryan at WM fighting over an urn containing Kane's remains and the subsequent ceremony to try and bring him back to life which is ruined when Bryan interferes causing not Kane to re-emerge from the urn but:

fake Diesel[/spoier]

• Like 1

They probably printed up a bunch of Big Red T-shirts, then had to dump them when they dropped the nickname.

When Paul Heyman talks about his time running OVW and working with the future Superstars, he only mentions Punk, Beth Phoenix and Ken Anderson (as people who graduated to the big leagues). Was the hit rate that low, or are there a bunch of people (like Ziggler) he has to pretend weren't there?

• Like 1

Which was? I only watched so much NXT before last year, but I saw little difference between Paige then and the Paige that debuted. The only real difference I can think of is maybe how Paige generally carried herself in terms of confidence. The anti-diva gimmick wasn't even so much an actual gimmick as it was a moniker.

It did take a while for people to give a shit about Paige because it took a while for to stop trying to cram 10 minutes of shit into a 2 min sack. Y'all worried for the other NXT divas better hope they start getting shorter matches.

The problem with some of the NXT call ups is that their characters developed naturally in NXT, only to get called up without that build. Emma and Big E are the most obvious examples.

I think NXT going on the road more will help, since the Full Sail crowd eats up everything, so they need more experience with different crowds.

• Like 1

Who did Eric Rowan piss off? He went from being part of the Survivor Series multi-man main event to losing pretty much every match he's had since.

I assume he only made it into that match because of Sheamus suffering an injury, not because they had a big push in mind for him.

I have very guarded expectations when it comes to the people I'm a fan of.  Last year, I figured that WWE would label Bryan as "injury-prone" if he came back and that seems to be what has happened.  At least now I know not to get my hopes up about him any more so I won't be disappointed.

Not their fault he dropped the ball.

Why do you rip on Bryan at every occasion possible for getting a necessary surgery that saved his career and ability to use his arms? Did he choose to get injured? It's the first major injury of his career, too. What's your point? 

And the WWE sure willingly and gladly gave him "the ball/ring," didn't they? He worked his ass off to get to that point and the fans forced the WWE's hands.