DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Recently discovered that various channels are showing various episodes of 'Moone Boy' chez nous, so I am DVRing every one of them I can find.  Lovely, hilarious little show about the life of a 12-year-old boy growing up in Ireland in the late 80s with his imaginary friend (Chris O'Dowd).  Has a real 'Father Ted' feel to it.  The actors who play his parents are amazing, and never fail to completely crack me up every episode.

This is probably a leftover from the Super Bowl, but I just saw a Snickers commercial based off of the Brady Bunch "football to the nose" episode with an axe-wielding Danny Trejo playing one sister and then, out of nowhere, Steve Buscemi playing another one. Absolutely hilarious and really took me aback.

• Like 1

From the January thread ... a little background on "George Burns Comedy Week", as well as the episode featuring Don Rickles and Don Knotts ...

http://www.avclub.com/article/steve-martin-george-burns-and-comic-take-twilight--209384

The creators described it as a comedic version of "Twilight Zone" and "Amazing Stories", and not a busted pilot showcase (although CBS spun off one of the episodes into its own series, "Leo and Liz in Beverly Hills").

JD

• Like 1

Finished the first season of Sirens today and its a solid 10 episodes, I found it hugely enjoyable.

It could be me but I dont find it THAT funny however im very interested in the characters as opposed to any of the other half hour comedies that are around at the moment, definitely gonna watch season 2.

EDIT: Forgot to include how hot Jessica McNamee is and also my grammar sucks.

Watching a c. 1981 episode of CHARLIE'S ANGELS (terrible, terrible show).  They are sneaking around some random goon's apartment and right there on his shelf next to his LP player is "TALKING HEADS: 77."

I love that it was important for us to know that this mob thug is so far ahead of the curve in terms of alt credibility.  That's detailed character development!   The goon in question works for Joseph Ruskin who played a hatchet-faced heavy on literally every crime show ever made and who's career spanned from an episode of THE HONEYMOONER'S to an episode of BONES.

MV5_BMj_E5_MDg2_NTk0_OV5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_

He was also the only actor to appear in some iteration of every STAR TREK series from OS to Enterprise.  Here he is in SMOKIN' ACES:

006_SMA_Joseph_Ruskin_001.jpg

He was also married to a woman who would eventually be married to this guy:

anigif_enhanced_10576_1404001251_3_previ

who also played Heather Locklear's dad on my other current favorite show T.J. HOOKER

herdcoward.jpg

The same show that last week featured CORINNE BOHRER MOTHER OF THE BACONATRESS HERSELF!!!!

My GOD THE CYCLE OF LIFE!!!  It's...Sublime!

Wrestling connection: The murder victim was Ric Drasin.

• Like 1

I don't know about y'all, but I'm all in on Helix season 2. I was so disappointed with season 1 and I was totally done with it, but it sucked me right back in. I guess this time I'm not expecting any answers, just fucked up plot twists that make absolutely no sense and go nowhere.

Like Lost.

I still can't get over the fact that Veronica Mars' mom was the Chicken McNuggets Shanghai girl...that's right up there with Jason Alexander dancing with MCDLT's and creepy moonface Mac Tonight as one of the all-time great Micky D's commercials of my youth...

In memory of a particular Ron Perlman fan -- now no longer with us -- Did anybody see the Blacklist after the Super Bowl?  Any good?

I'm starting to get a bit lukewarm towards the show as a whole, but it was a solid episode and ended on a cliffhanger.

• Like 1

Always Sunny was absolutely amazing tonight.  I'll keep it spoiler-free but I thought it was pretty ballsy to suddenly turn into an homage to a movie that it's pretty safe to say the majority of the audience hasn't seen.

That it was and one of the gang probably had to do some cardio training for a particular scene.

Always Sunny was absolutely amazing tonight.  I'll keep it spoiler-free but I thought it was pretty ballsy to suddenly turn into an homage to a movie that it's pretty safe to say the majority of the audience hasn't seen.

I'm not sure I know what movie it is referencing, but I enjoyed the episode very much just for the simple device of

Charlie is a super-focused perfectionist on Inspection Day and Paddy's would fall completely apart without him.

I'm not sure I know what movie it is referencing, but I enjoyed the episode very much just for the simple device of

Charlie is a super-focused perfectionist on Inspection Day and Paddy's would fall completely apart without him.

According to Howerton, the episode was inspired by an episode of True Detective, hence Dennis' impression.  Wonderful episode this week.  Frank in the basement was amazing. 

According to Howerton, the episode was inspired by an episode of True Detective, hence Dennis' impression.  Wonderful episode this week.  Frank in the basement was amazing. 

I know which episode of True Detective he was inspired by then. Also we found out a couple of months ago if not for Chris Pratt Howerton would have been Star-lord.