DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Related question: just what the fuck is a Z-pack?

I think it's heavy-duty medicine that fights bacterial infections.

Yeah- a Z-Pack is actually what you 'would' give for a staph infection, if you think it's a normal staph infection and not MRSA (so there is the case of "he'd have to know it was MRSA, have informed Dr.Amann it was MRSA, and they still keep giving him Z-Packs for it"- which can likely give proof.) 

As for the video- no, there's no big baseball-sized growth there, but there ARE a lot of shots in it where you can see that there is a smaller lump that isn't baseball-sized, but is pretty visible (somewhere between the second and third visible star on his trunks for a placement) 

• Like 1

Related question: just what the fuck is a Z-pack?

Z-Pak is a nick name for Zith-Pak, or as the commonly dispensed generic name of azithromycin. When it's in 'pack' form, it's 6 tablets of azithromycin 250mg. The most common prescription calls for the person to take two the first day and then one of the remaining four every day until gone. If you are allergic to amoxillcin (or any 'cillin) or sulfa, you're probably get a prescription for a z-pak because it's the third most common antibiotic. If you go to an Urgent Care place because you have a funny cough, you'd probably get one. It also comes in a Tri-Pak, which is three pills of azithromycin 500mg.

I hope the doctor wins because those fucking z-pak jokes for fucling unbearable.

• Like 1

Yeah- a Z-Pack is actually what you 'would' give for a staph infection, if you think it's a normal staph infection and not MRSA (so there is the case of "he'd have to know it was MRSA, have informed Dr.Amann it was MRSA, and they still keep giving him Z-Packs for it"- which can likely give proof.)

Why would Punk have to have informed Amman it was MRSA? Isn't the idea that (according to Punk) Amman should have correctly diagnosed this and treated it properly? I mean, don't we normally expect our doctors to tell US what we have?

• Like 2

Why would Punk have to have informed Amman it was MRSA? Isn't the idea that (according to Punk) Amman should have correctly diagnosed this and treated it properly? I mean, don't we normally expect our doctors to tell US what we have?

Wasn't Punk's whole thing at least on the podcast that he was continually misdiagnosed and that he got the ZPack because of how run down he was becoming from the infection? If things happened the way Punk said they did, at the least he's at fault himself because he should have gotten a second opinion way sooner.

Weird question.

I am doing a lot more writing lately, freelance and stuff for myself.

One of the things I would like to do to keep me sane is to do a bit more writing about the things that I love; pro wrestling, music and movies.

I know what I like about movie writing. I know what I like about writing about music. Outside of recaps or news, I am not sure what sort of good writing is out there on pro wrestling.

So who is doing semi-regular writing about pro wrestling that isn't just news or recaps?

I like Brian Oliu's lyrical essays on pro-wrestling quite a bit.    W. Todd Kaneko just wrote a book of poems about dead wrestlers that I enjoyed.  Danielle Matheson's stuff on UpRoxx has been consistently good too, especially her recent article on representation in wrestling.  Paul Arrand Rodgers is worth checking out too, he used to be the ring announcer for AIW.  Also, there's always Kristoffer Diaz's Pulitzer Prize nominated play The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity, which I caught in it's premiere run, and just loved.  There also seems to be a decent community of folks on Tumblr writing about wrestling in interesting ways.  In terms of zines, Thumbtacks and Razorblades and Total Girl Chaos are both fantastic.

• Like 1

You had me worried for a second, ebbie. That post was mostly coherent and informative, but you pulled it out of the fire right at the end with that final sentence.

I'm a CPhT in school to be a N-P. The idea that a guy being skilled enough to save a guy from a heart attack doesn't know enough shit about infections to say 'yeah, you ain't workin tonight' is laughable. Especially when MRSA infections can be deadly, contagious and are usually so painful that you can't do shit while you have one.

I know people have an either 'you can't stand the shithead' or 'you want him to stick something in you' view when it comes to Punk, but come on. Common sense ain't for everyone, I know.

Some doctors are shit at diagnosing staph infections for some reason. I went to the doctor once for a growth in my armpit, I told him it was a staph infection and he didn't believe me. He eventually agreed to test it and gave me antibiotics "just in case." He sent me off saying that "it most likely isn't a staph infection, but take this until you find out."

I got a call a couple of days later telling me that I indeed had a staph infection. 

You had me worried for a second, ebbie. That post was mostly coherent and informative, but you pulled it out of the fire right at the end with that final sentence.

I'm a CPhT in school to be a N-P. The idea that a guy being skilled enough to save a guy from a heart attack doesn't know enough shit about infections to say 'yeah, you ain't workin tonight' is laughable. Especially when MRSA infections can be deadly, contagious and are usually so painful that you can't do shit while you have one.

I know people have an either 'you can't stand the shithead' or 'you want him to stick something in you' view when it comes to Punk, but come on. Common sense ain't for everyone, I know.

Counterpoint: WWE and its employees have a long history of being corrupt, inept, and utterly defiant of common-sense practices that would be prevalent in any other area of life. 

There's a reason why people buy into Punk's claims so easily that leans away from fandom and towards history. 

• Like 3

Bored thought I was having to myself earlier - what is the most successful first-name kayfabe-wise? I'd initially assumed Steve (Austin, Williams, Regal), but a bit more thought lead me to Robert (inc shortenings). Just off the top of my head, you've got several world champs like Backlund, Van Dam, Roode, Lashley, Orton, multi-time NWA champ Conway...even the best manager of all time in Heenan. Any better suggestions?