DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I thought Black Machismo wasn't only a great character but also featured some of Jays best performances in ring. There's a JAPW match from around that time on YouTube where Jay is up against Booker T that I throughly enjoy.

• Like 1

To me, there is nothing that separates Jay Lethal from Azriel, another guy who was in ROH when he was very young, and seemingly never changed his style or improved at all. The difference is Lethal is consistently on TV and talked about as a good worker, while Azriel has trouble getting booked in CZW. 

I thought Lethal was fine as Black Machismo but when they started trying to push him as a serious guy after that, I couldn't stand him. Thought his promos were awful and hated the segments with his family that attempted put him over as so likeable when I found him the complete opposite. Always found it funny when he beat Flair on PPV then the following Impact, he's beat clean by Hardy in under 5 minutes.

There was a picture of Bret in this month's thread of when he went on his awesome rant about getting screwed (the whole aftermath following the cage match with Sid). I can't remember now. What was the first really TV-14 kind of moment that started ushering in the Attitude Era? Was it something with Dustin? I remember Lawler calling him the f-word.

IIRC, Lawler didn't call him the f-word.   He said something "Aren't you....queer?" then Dustin said "NO" to thunderous applause.  Bad times.

Hart repeatedly said "bullshit" in that promo, and also made reference to Austin's name being 'Stone Cold' because his "stones are so cold".

But you'd probably have to go to Austin the previous summer, with the initial 3:16 promo.  I also vaguely remember Nash making a couple bordering on TV-14 comments in his last heel run before he left.

By the fall, with Austin, Pillman, the Hart Foundation and, finally, DX, WWE was full-on into the TV-14 stuff.

Lethal and Flair's woo off in 2010 is damn good enough to make all criticisms about Lethal useless. Besides, he has a great punch, is likeable and is one of the few guys to make a 'homage to ___' gimmick work.

They didn't screw up ADR. The fact that he got a rocket shoved up his ass and the crowd reacted to him like their was a random diva match every night screwed him up. The guy could kill a crowd like Alicia Fox in no time. He just didn't have any charisma to back up his push. The Rumble crowd in 2011 was losing their collectively ever motherfucking minds when they thought Santino had won. It was announced Del Rip won and if it wasn't for his music, you could've heard a guy in the cheap seats cough. This was the case for five years.

Del Rio was great when he had the car, Ricardo and the smug, arrogant smile on his face. That fucking wink was great. He has a great "arrogant" charisma and was born to play an aristocratic heel.

Del Rio as a murderer would've been miscast. He just didn't have the physical charisma to draw you into the match with just moves. He was great at playing a character in the ring but I don't see him drawing people in with just a straight forward wrestling gimmick. I mean, the crowd reaction he got after he dropped the aristocrat gimmick proved that.

They so fucked up by taking away the cool cars and rich guy stuff when he turned face. People love cheering guys in cool cars, and face Flair still wore suits and flew in Lear jets.

With one REALLY glaring exception, it seems that WWE thinks that all top babyfaces should be bland working class good guys with impeccable morals. Considering how successful that REALLY glaring exception was, you'd think they'd realize how terrible that strategy is.