DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Changing subjects, I thought this was interesting:

Regarding all the criticism of the Rumble match, Jamie Noble was the producer of the match with Joey Mercury as the assistant. Also involved in putting the match together were Michael Hayes, Pat Patterson and Brian James. That’s probably why James wasn’t happy when he went on Twitter and people were calling it the worst Rumble ever.

Interesting. A lot of NXT guys have put over Joey Matthews as the next great agent. There were so many missed opportunities in that Rumble... it doesn't reflect well on whoever put that steaming pile together.

There just seemed to be so many missed opportunities in the Rumble itself, not even taking in to account Reigns winning the whole thing. EVERYBODY thought there would be a spot in the Rumble where both Miz and Mizdow would be in the ring together, Miz is eliminated, now what does Mizdow do? A small little spot that most people wanted to see and would mean nothing in the grand scheme of the Rumble as a whole, and yet Miz and Mizdow aren't even in the match together at the same time. Bryan's elimination was not teased or built up to at all. No drama. Just another elimination. No back and forth to build any drama at all at the end with Rusev and Reigns. Let them go for 2-3 more minutes with Rusev getting the sneak attack, building SOME sort of sympathy for Reigns and having him fight back from underneath to finally eliminate him to win. But instead Reigns throws out Rusev with little to no fanfare or build up at all.

There were just a ton of little things throughout the match that were always there when Patterson was booking the whole thing that were missed out on this year.

• Like 1

Most people around me in the crowd thought Mizdow would be either #2 or #3 after Miz came out. There was also a sort of amusing moment where no one had any reaction to Miz' music hitting because we didn't know if it was Miz or Mizdow yet.

• Like 1

There just seemed to be so many missed opportunities in the Rumble itself, not even taking in to account Reigns winning the whole thing. EVERYBODY thought there would be a spot in the Rumble where both Miz and Mizdow would be in the ring together, Miz is eliminated, now what does Mizdow do? A small little spot that most people wanted to see and would mean nothing in the grand scheme of the Rumble as a whole, and yet Miz and Mizdow aren't even in the match together at the same time. Bryan's elimination was not teased or built up to at all. No drama. Just another elimination. No back and forth to build any drama at all at the end with Rusev and Reigns. Let them go for 2-3 more minutes with Rusev getting the sneak attack, building SOME sort of sympathy for Reigns and having him fight back from underneath to finally eliminate him to win. But instead Reigns throws out Rusev with little to no fanfare or build up at all.

There were just a ton of little things throughout the match that were always there when Patterson was booking the whole thing that were missed out on this year.

God, if Rusev had just popped up and thrown out Reigns, it woulda been the greatest Rumble ever.

with Del Rio, much like what I'm seeing with Wyatt , they had something special and they lost it. Why did they lose it? A few reasons (a) Del Rios perfect opponent is an underdog face. Not many of those floating around in the main event. (B) He was thrust into the Cena/Punk feud that he had no place being in. Wrong place, wrong time. © It seemed like Del Rio (along with Miz) took a lot of clean falls to Cena/Punk during this period. (D) He was the moved up and down the card from main event to upper midcard, exchanging victories with whoever he feuded with.

At the end of the day, they took away Del Rios teeth and he never recovered.

Speaking of Jay Lethal, I think he's an awesome promo when he's doing the Macho Man and Ric Flair stuff but am I wrong in thinking he's really overrated in the ring?  I see a lot of people say "Oh, Jay Lethal, this should be a good match"  but I don't think he really deserves the rep.  I feel he's pretty damn generic. He's never connected with me.  How do y'all feel about him?

Lethal isn't terrible or anything, but he's never done anything for me.  While he's capable of being in solid matches when he's in the ring with someone better, there's nothing memorable about his ringwork.  The Lethal Injection always looks contrived as hell and most of his offense never looks like it actually hurts.

I can't take him seriously as a heel either.  He always sounds like a kid trying to do an imitation of a professional wrestler.

Lethal isn't terrible or anything, but he's never done anything for me. While he's capable of being in solid matches when he's in the ring with someone better, there's nothing memorable about his ringwork. The Lethal Injection always looks contrived as hell and most of his offense never looks like it actually hurts.

I can't take him seriously as a heel either. He always sounds like a kid trying to do an imitation of a professional wrestler.

Agree 100%.

His babyface stuff is fine. But he should have kept the top rope elbow as his finish.

I like Jay Lethal a lot, actually. I think everything he does is smart and smooth except his finish. The springboard cutter thing he is using always comes off as contrived and hurts the flows of his matches I think.

Part of why I like him is his ability to sell whatever his character is doing though, So it might not be and objective sort of HE IS CLEARLY AWESOME thing, but more of just a guy I have always enjoyed watching for whatever reason.

There was a picture of Bret in this month's thread of when he went on his awesome rant about getting screwed (the whole aftermath following the cage match with Sid). I can't remember now. What was the first really TV-14 kind of moment that started ushering in the Attitude Era? Was it something with Dustin? I remember Lawler calling him the f-word.

Lethal isn't terrible or anything, but he's never done anything for me.  While he's capable of being in solid matches when he's in the ring with someone better, there's nothing memorable about his ringwork.  The Lethal Injection always looks contrived as hell and most of his offense never looks like it actually hurts.

I can't take him seriously as a heel either.  He always sounds like a kid trying to do an imitation of a professional wrestler.

This is honestly the best summation of Jay Lethal you'll see IMO.  Just nothing special.  I FFWD past his matches unless I like his opponent.  His style is very early 2000s indies and light as a feather in the worst possible way you can take that.  Aside from developing some great impersonations, I don't think he's improved since 2003. 

The Lethal Combination (weak STO backbreaker into an equally weak Downward Spiral) doesn't look like it could break an egg.  The Lethal Injection is great as an out-of-nowhere counter but really really stupid as a straight-up finisher.