DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Thoughts on WrestleMania VII

Marty Jannetty's timing was way off in the Rockers-Faces of Fear opener. I'm pretty sure the finish wasn't supposed to be a mistimed double dive off the top rope.

Hilarious to see the Undertaker measuring Regis Philbin for a casket 24 years ago and Regis is still alive!

Power & Glory should have won the tag belts from the Hart Foundation instead of the Nasty Boys. They were built up strong with the win over the Rockers at SummerSlam 90 and won again with the Visionaries at Survivor Series 90. Instead, they hot shotted the belts to the Nasty Boys, and Power and Glory was never taken seriously again after getting crushed by the Road Warriors.

The blindfold match gets criticized a lot, but it's a great comedy match. It just doesn't work as a brutal feud blowoff match.

Randy Savage is the MVP of this show for putting over Ultimate Warrior in a career-ending match and getting pinned with one foot. Also, his facial expressions were amazing, not just in the reunion with Elizabeth. After FIVE top-rope elbow drops in a row didn't work, he looked at the crowd like, "What do I do now?"

Gorilla Monsoon also did a great job explaining Warrior's internal monologue when he was walking out of the match and then back in, questioning whether "his time is over" after Savage kicked out of his finisher.

I totally forgot that Greg Valentine turned babyface and feuded with Jimmy Hart's stable. Some guys, like Valentine and Rick Rude, were always meant to be heels.

Sherri didn't go very long without a client, jumping from Savage to DiBiase just five matches later. I read on History of WWE that they did a brief angle where Sherri was trying to recruit Andre the Giant as well. Imagine her managing the reformed Megabucks! Unfortunately, Andre could barely wrestle anymore.

IIRC, that bit where Sherri recruited Andre (it was a larger angle where all the managers made pitches. Payoff ended up being Earthquake destroying Andre and the birth of the Natural Disasters) ended with him spanking her.

• Like 1

I had the VHS of WM VII so it's another show I've watched a million times but even as a kid I would always tune out before Hogan/Slaughter. It's a decent match and all but holy shit was I PISSED at the Royal Rumble title match. Warrior was my guy. After watching Macho/Warrior the whole rest of the show is pretty weak.

I wasn't thrilled with the Hart Foundation losing the tag belts either. SummerSlam '90 was one of my favorite shows like ever (another VHS I owned) and the Demolition/Harts match is a big reason why.

• Like 1

I was wondering, for the WWE Network subscribers, do you see the Network as an addition to your wrestling DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS collections, or do you see it as a replacement?. 

Supplement for me. I still have a ton of tapes/discs but the Network is great for watching old stuff in better quality.

• Like 1

I was wondering, for the WWE Network subscribers, do you see the Network as an addition to your wrestling DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS collections, or do you see it as a replacement?. 

Supplement for me. I still have a ton of tapes/discs but the Network is great for watching old stuff in better quality.

This. Plus, as we've now seen, there is no guarantee that content that goes up on the network will stay on the network.

• Like 1

On Episode 157 of RAW, 4/29/96, Steve Austin busts out a giant swing. I now get why he's a fan of Cesaro.

This show had Mankind and Austin in matches back-to-back. We're just missing The Rock at this point. 

Thoughts on SummerSlam 91

This was a great night to be a babyface. IRS and the Natural Disasters were the only heel winners all night. Even the wedding went off without a hitch!

Power & Glory & Warlord kicked out of Davey Boy Smith and Kerry Von Erich's finishers before succumbing to the mighty top-rope bodypress of Ricky Steamboat.

Something tells me Hulk Hogan wasn't really in the dressing room when Bobby Heenan took the NWA World title belt backstage and challenged Hogan on behalf of Ric Flair. Not only did Hogan not appear on camera, but the door had a piece of paper with the word "HULK" printed on it. Heenan's fortunate that Lou Ferrigno didn't answer the door.

Mr. Perfect is the clear MVP. He showed no signs of his crippling back injury and had a great match with Bret Hart. I'm sure Hart thought to himself, "Boy, Earl Hebner sure rings the bell quickly when someone applies the Sharpshooter!"

I love Lord Alfred Hayes, but he conducted a hilariously bad interview with Stu and Helen Hart after Bret won the IC title. First, he asked Stu Hart for a comment just as Bret showed up to celebrate. Then, Lord Alfred took the mic away from Stu when he finally did talk, saying "He's a little bit speechless!"

Coach is right up there with the Baron as far as worthless managers go. Let hear what the announcers have to say about him.

PIPER: And then there's the Coach.

MONSOON and HEENAN: (silence)

It looked like the finish was botched in the jailhouse match, as Mountie kicked out the Bossman slam and then later got pinned by what we now call the Alabama Slam.

Iron Sheik was great. He was suplexing Hogan and Warrior around like it was 1984 again. Speaking of that year, I love how Sheik slapped the Camel Clutch on Hogan just like he did then, in the same building where Hogan beat him for the title. This time, it's gonna work!

The Nash/Steiner/Goldberg "improvised finish" match might have the most confusing and counter-productive commentary I've ever heard. Ignoring how ridiculous the angle itself was, if you're trying to do a worked shoot, isn't the best play to have the announcers no-sell what's going on in the ring try to act like nothing's wrong? I have no idea how them talking about "political stroke" and "who WCW wants to go over" helps the story in any way. The way Schiavone, Madden, and Hudson drifted in and out of kayfabe was trippy as shit.

• Like 1

Watching Charlotte handcuff Vince Russo at the GAB 2000 might have been one of the retroactively weridest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

Vince Russo yelling YOU BITCH! repeatedly at young Charlotte after she did it was uncomfortable. 

Also, young Reid was involved, which was sobering.

I'm kinda sorry that I saw your post and watched that whole thing.

Did you expect a segment involving Vince Russo and Ric Flair's kids to be tasteful in any way?

No, but it still somehow failed to clear the very low bar of expectation that I had set for it going in. 

Thoughts on Survivor Series 91

This was a lackluster show due to the in-ring absence of Sid, Warrior, Savage and Roberts, the latter two of whom showed up to cut promos about their PPV matchup six days later at Tuesday in Texas. It was weird to see the LOD victory end the show. In fact, the entire show seemed like a set-up for the fans to buy the second PPV.

Ric Flair's win on a goofy technicality was a great nod to all of his Dusty Finishes as NWA World champion.

Sgt. Slaughter went from America-hater to flag-waving patriot in one pay-per-view. I guess they did the injury angle with Jim Neidhart to allow Duggan to welcome Slaughter back into the loving arms of the USA.

Hercules went from the team that won with a clean sweep to the team that got shut out in just one year.

When Undertaker's gong went off in the middle of the show, I thought the fans should have been tipped off that Hogan was losing the title. Then I realized that when I went to King of the Ring 93, I didn't realize Hogan was losing the title when his match with Yokozuna went on in the middle of the show. 

Undertaker is the MVP of the show. He debuted one year earlier, never lost on TV, and won the title from Hogan to cap off a perfect rookie year in the WWF.

• Like 1

Anyone else having problems with The Network?  I am getting the "Content Unavailable At This Moment" menu

kept getting that yesterday on my Roku.  Going out of the channel and then back in would fix it, but when I picked another program to watch it would happen again.