DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Just watched the JBL/Cena I Quit match from Judgment Day 2005. It's pretty over-the-top, but it's really cool to see the attitude version of John Cena. Blood, swearing, head shots, violent looking chokes, this match has it all and more. JBL is great as the dickhead heel who gets what's coming to him and slowly realizing he'll never be able to make Cena quit. Some of Cena's offense is still goofy, but the blood, take no prisoners attitude, and general grittiness of his character make it easy to see why he was so universally over at this time. It's weird to hear "Let's go Cena" not followed by "Cena sucks." This also avoided the "get beat down forever, win in 2 minutes" formula that contributed to crowds souring on Cena afterwards. He really beat the hell out of JBL before JBL finally quit.

This match definitely lacks the raw emotion of elite I Quit matches like Rock/Foley or Flair/Foley and the blood and some of the spots are clearly overcompensating for that, but it's still a good spectacle and worth watching to see John Cena work a completely different style still within the context of his face character and to see the always-underrated (as a wrestler) Bradshaw slug it out.

I signed up because of the free month thing and I'm not all that impressed tbh. The parameters and indexing are abit too narrow for my liking, for example I'd like to be able to just watch a specific match from an event or be able to view a specific wrestler (ala youtube) but instead I can only watch full events and have to go to a specific year.

On top of that, if there a gulf of Clash of the Champions missing? Can they only show WCW stuff not NWA? And where's the AWA stuff?

It's great for if you've got mates over and you're having a few beers but I doubt I'll be continuing after my trial

So I put WCW Uncensored 96 on, because of my quest for bad Wrestling (I wanted to see the Triple decker cage fiasco). And then all of a sudden, the second match on the show was Regal vs Finlay. And it was FUCKING AWESOME~!

• Like 1

I signed up because of the free month thing and I'm not all that impressed tbh. The parameters and indexing are abit too narrow for my liking, for example I'd like to be able to just watch a specific match from an event or be able to view a specific wrestler (ala youtube) but instead I can only watch full events and have to go to a specific year.

There's a search option... at least on my PS4 app. I used it to watch a few Bull Nakano matches the other day

So I put WCW Uncensored 96 on, because of my quest for bad Wrestling (I wanted to see the Triple decker cage fiasco). And then all of a sudden, the second match on the show was Regal vs Finlay. And it was FUCKING AWESOME~!

That Regal/Finlay match rules.

The doomsday cage is wrestlecrap hall of fame material for sure, but the underrated "bad wrestling" component of the show is Sting/Booker vs. Road Warriors No DQ match going 30 fucking minutes. It's up there with the likes of the HHH/Shawn HIAC in the "ohmyfuckingGOD just bring it home already you've made your point" department.

Just watched old Mid Atlantic from Black History Month package. Holy shit. Briscos vs Steamboat/Youngblood. Valentine vs Hart (Horowitz). Bob Orton. Flair promo with Steamboat. That's a big pile of money.

And speaking of money, "SOMEBODY TAKE THE DAMN MONEY!"

This was a genius episode of wrestling.

• Like 1

I was bored and picked a random show to watch and landed on Fall Brawl 1995.

The opening match was a surprisingly long US title #1 contender match between Brian Pillman and Johnny B. Badd. Badd was really over, and it didn't sound like anyone even laughed at him when he chucked one of his audience frisbees right into the turnbuckle from about 3 feet away. Pillman was in transition to going heel on this show. These got like 30 minutes, but filled it well. They started with respectful mat wrestling, then escalated to striking and high impact moves, before finishing with 10 minutes or so of "big move-kickout-repeat." Badd got busted open early, and Pillman was acting more heelish throughout the match, although both guys had a lot of fire. Match ended with a double crossbody spot where Badd landed on top. Kind of unexpected, but after the overkill stretch, it pretty much had to end with a flash pin or cheating.

Next up was Cobra vs. Craig Pittman. Apparently Cobra was the face even though he was a generic looking musclehead with an annoying theme that was like 3 letters of morse code on continuous loop. Meanwhile Pittman was the heel with an awesome rafter entrance decked out in full commando gear. Private Iaukea distracted Cobra, so Pittman could do his elaborate entrance and sneak attack him. The actual match only lasted a couple minutes with Pittman quickly winning with his jujigatame called the code red.

DDP vs. Renegade for the TV title was next. DDP had some really over-the-top comedic bumping going in his early days. Renegade wasn't as bad as I remembered. Not great mind you, but at least passable enough to have an average 5 minute match with DDP. Renegade was clearly on the outs here, though, as he jobbed somewhat quickly and Heenan murdered him on commentary. "He calls that zircon cutter... Get it? 'Cuz that guy's not a real diamond, he's a cheap knock off." Botched mineralogy aside, that's pretty brutal for a guy who was being presented as a decent midcard face to that point.

Harlem Heat vs. Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck for the tag titles also got a surprising amount of time, although most of the match was about Parker and Sherri. Both teams got an extended control segment, and there was pretty good striking at various points in the match. It probably went about 5 minutes too long, but definitely had its enjoyable moments like Stevie Ray and Dick Slater having a bar-fight like slugfest and Buck stomping Booker square in the face. When Parker and Sherri finally kissed in the opposite the ring, chaos ensued. Somewhere in there, the Nasty Boys came out and hit Slater with his own boot as payback for something that happened on Main Event. Harlem Heat regained the titles.

The semi-main was the heavily hyped Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson showdown. Both guys cut money promos earlier in the show, and this definitely has to be on the list of most underrated matches of the 90s. Like some of the earlier matches, it was long, but you didn't really notice it as much here with all the story involved. They set up the story of "tough love" in their promos and followed through to perfection in the match. So much raw emotion from both guys who managed to somehow look heistant but tough at the same time. And holy shit, Flair was as stiff as I've ever seen him. There was also a dueling body-part work element to the match, with Anderson doing the family trademark arm work while Flair naturally went after the legs in between the heated brawling. Flair pounding one of Arn's legs while he had him the figure four was a nice touch of desperation, and Arn screaming "you got nothing" made for a great high point in the match. Soon after, Brian Pillman would come out of the stands and attack Flair from behind, which allowed Arn to hit the DDT for the win.

The Wargames match featured The Hulkamaniacs (Hogan, Sting, Savage, Luger) vs. The Dungeon of Doom job squad (Shark, Kamala, Meng, Zodiac). The only good thing about this match was the Hulkamaniacs delivering the fire-iest fired-up babyface promo of all time before the match. It's hard to imagine a better crazy face promo group than that. The match itself was a plodding, predictable affair. Everyone on the face team gets beat up until Hogan saves the day. Luger has some hilarious selling for Meng's kicks, though. Hogan made Zodiac quit with a camel clutch, which meant Hogan was supposed to get a singles match in the cage with Sullivan right after. That lasted about a minute before the Giant came out and attacked Hogan. Those two beat him up for a few minutes until the other faces ran back out to close the show.

Overall, this was an enjoyable show, if not particularly memorable. The Wargames match was extremely dull, but everything on the undercard was acceptable at worst. Pillman/Badd was surprisingly epic, and Flair/Arn was legit great. The latter alone (and associated promo material) is worth a look if you don't watch anything else from the show.

For the past week or so (maybe a little longer), I've noticed a lot more buffering than normal. I'm using a Roku 2 XS and I have a really good internet connection (my Roku is hard wired to my router and my speed is 100 down/30 up). I would say that the recent buffering has been the most noticeable since the first week it launched when they were trying to work out all the bugs. I initially chalked it up to maybe a ton of people taking advantage of the free month and their servers not being up to snuff but November was a free month and I don't remember any difference in quality.

Am I the only one seeing this or nah?

Also, I've been watching Nitro and the Clash/PPV's in order and I just watched Great American Bash 96. I'm baffled at how many people called Steve McMichael McMichaelS for so long, especially considering he had been announcing for 8 months before that.

Next up was Cobra vs. Craig Pittman. Apparently Cobra was the face even though he was a generic looking musclehead with an annoying theme that was like 3 letters of morse code on continuous loop. Meanwhile Pittman was the heel with an awesome rafter entrance decked out in full commando gear. Private Iaukea distracted Cobra, so Pittman could do his elaborate entrance and sneak attack him. The actual match only lasted a couple minutes with Pittman quickly winning with his jujigatame called the code red.

This is one of my favorite things ever. Pittman was pretty awesome.

For the past week or so (maybe a little longer), I've noticed a lot more buffering than normal. I'm using a Roku 2 XS and I have a really good internet connection (my Roku is hard wired to my router and my speed is 100 down/30 up).

Am I the only one seeing this or nah?

I have a Roku 3 with a similar connection. My recent buffering issues have been going on since before the Rumble and nine times out of ten they only last during the first two or three minutes of whatever I'm watching. It has never happened when watching the live feed but I only watched the rumble and some NXT's via the feed.

I was bored and picked a random show to watch and landed on Fall Brawl 1995.

The opening match was a surprisingly long US title #1 contender match between Brian Pillman and Johnny B. Badd. Badd was really over, and it didn't sound like anyone even laughed at him when he chucked one of his audience frisbees right into the turnbuckle from about 3 feet away. Pillman was in transition to going heel on this show. These got like 30 minutes, but filled it well. They started with respectful mat wrestling, then escalated to striking and high impact moves, before finishing with 10 minutes or so of "big move-kickout-repeat." Badd got busted open early, and Pillman was acting more heelish throughout the match, although both guys had a lot of fire. Match ended with a double crossbody spot where Badd landed on top. Kind of unexpected, but after the overkill stretch, it pretty much had to end with a flash pin or cheating.

DDP vs. Renegade for the TV title was next. DDP had some really over-the-top comedic bumping going in his early days. Renegade wasn't as bad as I remembered. Not great mind you, but at least passable enough to have an average 5 minute match with DDP. Renegade was clearly on the outs here, though, as he jobbed somewhat quickly and Heenan murdered him on commentary. "He calls that zircon cutter... Get it? 'Cuz that guy's not a real diamond, he's a cheap knock off." Botched mineralogy aside, that's pretty brutal for a guy who was being presented as a decent midcard face to that point.

Harlem Heat vs. Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck for the tag titles also got a surprising amount of time, although most of the match was about Parker and Sherri. Both teams got an extended control segment, and there was pretty good striking at various points in the match. It probably went about 5 minutes too long, but definitely had its enjoyable moments like Stevie Ray and Dick Slater having a bar-fight like slugfest and Buck stomping Booker square in the face. When Parker and Sherri finally kissed in the opposite the ring, chaos ensued. Somewhere in there, the Nasty Boys came out and hit Slater with his own boot as payback for something that happened on Main Event. Harlem Heat regained the titles.

The semi-main was the heavily hyped Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson showdown. Both guys cut money promos earlier in the show, and this definitely has to be on the list of most underrated matches of the 90s. Like some of the earlier matches, it was long, but you didn't really notice it as much here with all the story involved. They set up the story of "tough love" in their promos and followed through to perfection in the match. So much raw emotion from both guys who managed to somehow look heistant but tough at the same time. And holy shit, Flair was as stiff as I've ever seen him. There was also a dueling body-part work element to the match, with Anderson doing the family trademark arm work while Flair naturally went after the legs in between the heated brawling. Flair pounding one of Arn's legs while he had him the figure four was a nice touch of desperation, and Arn screaming "you got nothing" made for a great high point in the match. Soon after, Brian Pillman would come out of the stands and attack Flair from behind, which allowed Arn to hit the DDT for the win.

The Wargames match featured The Hulkamaniacs (Hogan, Sting, Savage, Luger) vs. The Dungeon of Doom job squad (Shark, Kamala, Meng, Zodiac). The only good thing about this match was the Hulkamaniacs delivering the fire-iest fired-up babyface promo of all time before the match. It's hard to imagine a better crazy face promo group than that. The match itself was a plodding, predictable affair. Everyone on the face team gets beat up until Hogan saves the day. Luger has some hilarious selling for Meng's kicks, though. Hogan made Zodiac quit with a camel clutch, which meant Hogan was supposed to get a singles match in the cage with Sullivan right after. That lasted about a minute before the Giant came out and attacked Hogan. Those two beat him up for a few minutes until the other faces ran back out to close the show.

Overall, this was an enjoyable show, if not particularly memorable. The Wargames match was extremely dull, but everything on the undercard was acceptable at worst. Pillman/Badd was surprisingly epic, and Flair/Arn was legit great. The latter alone (and associated promo material) is worth a look if you don't watch anything else from the show.

I was at that show. With my dad who doesn't dig wrestling but was duly impressed by the AA/Flair match. My already significant respect for him grew that day.

He also dug Eddy Guerrero who debuted in a dark match before the show, versus Alex Wright.

Fall Brawl 1995.

the best/worst part of that WarGames match is that not only did Hogan save the day, but he single handedly beat up EVERY member of the DoD, didn't sell a single strike, and won the match within 3 minutes of being introduced. 

i'll third the love for Flair/AA. even a non-Flair fan such as myself could appreciate his work here.

Craig Pittman is on my shortlist for least interesting wrestler that got a consistant push. i've said this before, but his armbreaker was so friggin' lame. he wasn't that great in-ring, and his promos sucked.  please just keep him off my TV.

Arn vs Flair was at Fall Brawl 95, in September 1995, right? And then the Austin 3:16 speech was at King of the Ring in June of 1996.

Someone in the crowd for Flair vs Arn has a 'Flair 3:16' sign.

So there you have it. Definitive proof that at some point in the future, Time Travel will be invented.

Or just that it was a reference to the single most well known verse of the bible.

Don't be ridiculous, nobody reads the bible. It was 20 years ago, not 200.

• Like 1