DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Since the other ones needed to be restarted anyway. Use this for what you are watching and if you have technical issues and what not.

Oh and I just signed up for the Network.

Y'all have been warned.

• Like 1

Summerslam 95 had no chapter breaks when I looked earlier. I wanted to watch Hogan/ Michaels. For some reason, I'm seeking out famously bad matches in the network archive (like Steiner HHH earlier)... I think it's the thing of, with a famously good match from 10+ years ago, I'd have bought the DVD to see it at some point. Whereas with a famously bad match, I'd want to watch it to see how bad it was, but I wouldn't want to pay money to see it.

What show is the Kennel from Hell on?

i assume you mean SS 2005. SS95 had HBK/Razor's 2nd ladder match, which is pretty damn good.

i still don't understand the hate for Hogan/Michaels. Hogan was a dick and refused to lose, HBK was also a dick and just over sold anything. but since Hogan couldn't sell anything, it really balances out. a fun romp but nowhere near a classic that some people (for no valid reason) thought it would be.

Kennel from Hell is on Unforgiven '99

Yeah, Summerslam '05. Watching a bit of it now. Orlando Jordan came in as US Champ, having beaten Cena for the title. The past is another Country, indeed.

Re-watched Umaga/Cena from Royal Rumble 07 yesterday. Its been one of my higher rated matches for Cena, but damn did i forget just how good it was along with everyone else involved. Estrada was great directing Umaga. The big spots are only around a handful and well built. And they did so well making Umaga look like the biggest monster ever. I still love that the finish is literally attempted murder just to keep Umaga down the 10 count. Just stuff all around, still up as one of Cena's best matches if not the best. It does make me miss blood even more as it really odes add a dramatic effect that is missing in these types of matches and brawls when WWE does them in the current era.

The secret of the Hogan/Michaels match is that during HBK's heat segment, it's actually perfectly good pro wrestling. Nothing amazing, but HBK is such a natural heel, and Hogan was still so great at sympathetic selling, it clicks.

So, in the "random, unexpectedly good matches" department, I just watched Mr. Kennedy vs. Shawn Michaels from Armageddon 07.

Kennedy's performance is very inspired, and Michaels was oddly not mailing it in despite being in a throwaway midcard match on a nothing ppv. The match starts with a lot of intensity and Michaels does a good job looking like he's surprised at how much of a fight he's in, and upping his intensity accordingly. His chops early in this match were actually decent, and there was little wasted movement from either guy. Kennedy predictably goes after the back, but Michaels creates an opening by working the arm and hand of Kennedy with some uncharacteristically vicious, Regal-like offense. Kennedy does a great job selling his hand for most of the match, and both guys do a great job conveying desperation and an urgency to win. The finish drags a hair as we do get a mailed-in Shawn babyface comeback sequence, but after the predictable SCM reversal, they come back with smart finish out of nowhere that plays on all the earlier work in the match.

Definitely worth a look next time you're in a random match mood.

Yeah, Michaels vs Hogan wasn't that bad, and when Michaels is on the attack it's basically just a Wrestling match. It's only when Hogan's in control that it looks a bit silly.

My other take away from the show is that it was 10 years ago, and Dominic Mysterio was 8 years old. If he was living his Dad's life, he'd be a four year veteran pro-wrestler already.

mike johnson saying there will be mid south content on the network in feb.

I am not sure if this is going to regular thing or kind of like those 2 Heat episodes that were done for the 12 days of Attitude thing.   They are going to show a 10/15/83 episode of Mid-South Wrestling, headined by Junkyard Dog vs. King Kong Bundy. 

But it is something

So, in the "random, unexpectedly good matches" department, I just watched Mr. Kennedy vs. Shawn Michaels from Armageddon 07.

Kennedy's performance is very inspired, and Michaels was oddly not mailing it in despite being in a throwaway midcard match on a nothing ppv. The match starts with a lot of intensity and Michaels does a good job looking like he's surprised at how much of a fight he's in, and upping his intensity accordingly. His chops early in this match were actually decent, and there was little wasted movement from either guy. Kennedy predictably goes after the back, but Michaels creates an opening by working the arm and hand of Kennedy with some uncharacteristically vicious, Regal-like offense. Kennedy does a great job selling his hand for most of the match, and both guys do a great job conveying desperation and an urgency to win. The finish drags a hair as we do get a mailed-in Shawn babyface comeback sequence, but after the predictable SCM reversal, they come back with smart finish out of nowhere that plays on all the earlier work in the match.

Definitely worth a look next time you're in a random match mood.

I'm probably the board's resident Kennedy fan, so I'm glad to see someone else enjoying his work. :)

I'm probably the board's resident Kennedy fan, so I'm glad to see someone else enjoying his work. :)

Have you seen him in TNA? He's terrible there. I don't know why they keep keeping him around.

Around.

I've been watching some of these Single Brand PPVs from the mid 2000s.  I saw some of them before but not all of them. Right now it's No Way Out 2005. The main event of this show is supposed to be JBL defending against The Big Show in a barbed wire cage match.  I don't think I've seen it. 

I liked the idea of brand exclusive PPVs because I thought it would give the midcarders more opportunities to showcase their talents and build interesting feuds. They were successful in accomplishing that but holy shit was the talent watered down. Take the match I'm watching right now...  Booker T vs. Heidenreich. He was so fucking awful and longer matches didn't work to his favor. I forgot how thin the brands were at this point.

Have you seen him in TNA? He's terrible there. I don't know why they keep keeping him around.

Around.

I enjoyed his early work in TNA - his feuds with Angle and Hardy were good. I assume they've just broken his spirit, since that's what they specialize in.

I liked the idea of brand exclusive PPVs because I thought it would give the midcarders more opportunities to showcase their talents and build interesting feuds. They were successful in accomplishing that but holy shit was the talent watered down. Take the match I'm watching right now...  Booker T vs. Heidenreich. He was so fucking awful and longer matches didn't work to his favor. I forgot how thin the brands were at this point.

That's something I think is lost on a lot of people who clamour for the return of the brand split -- it gave us things like Heidenreich working long matches and Orlando Jordan: US Champ. Nevermind that creative can't even book one roster's set of storylines properly.

Okay so the JBL vs. Big Show match was kind of fun. I can't believe I just sat through another Big Show match but at least it was from ten years ago. There's a lot of blood spilled which is always nice in a match like this. The finish was decent. In a vacuum, I do not hate that finish at all. I remember people being pissed at all the different ways JBL "escaped" during this title run but I liked it. It added a lot to the hate for this dude and this was a neat way for him to go over. 

Also, I really dug Cena vs. Angle. So Cena is U.S. champ rapping Cena here and he sells like a motherfucker. Always has but there was more to his comeback than just a simple HULK UP FUCK YOU. He won and continued to sell. You don't see that from him a lot anymore. I also liked that Angle begins the match by outwrestling Cena and Cena says "fuck this" and just takes it to the streets. His white rapper gimmick was so good. This is worlds different than when he was The Marine and outwrestling Iraqi sympathizer Kurt Angle.

Orlando Jordan: US Champ though was more a problem of booking the wrong guy as JBL's 2nd in The Cabinet. I'm not sure who else was available but there had to be someone better on the roster who could play Tully to JBL's Naitch. 

Always thought it was more Virgil to JBL's DiBiase. Orlando as US Champ did have some fun midcard matches with Hardcore Holly and I remember a good longer Benoit match too.

Orlando Jordan: US Champ though was more a problem of booking the wrong guy as JBL's 2nd in The Cabinet. I'm not sure who else was available but there had to be someone better on the roster who could play Tully to JBL's Naitch. 

Always thought it was more Virgil to JBL's DiBiase. Orlando as US Champ did have some fun midcard matches with Hardcore Holly and I remember a good longer Benoit match too.

I remember the increasingly short Orlando-Benoit matches, but I don't know if that was before or after the title.

And Virgil never held the Intercontinental title. Orlando would have been a fine lower midcard guy, but the #2 title on his brand was much too high for him.

Lance Storm wasn't doing anything of note then was he? Over the top US sympathizer Lance Storm as JBL's second would've been pretty awesome. Kind of like The Rogeaus. Maybe Lance could've even brought back All American Boys as his theme music.