DVDVR Message Board

Broomstick Matches/One hit wonders

Kuetsar

If there is a topic like this I apologize, but I thought it might be interesting. For clarification, I am talking about carry jobs that were the best matches of the other guys career but should be borderline miraculous.  The one that fits in my mind in the (in)famous Bret Hart vs Tom Magee match. Couldn't find it on youtube, but I know its been there before. I know Flair and HBK have these type of matches too, just not sure which ones. . . 

The Goldberg/Sid matches don't hold up terribly well, they're mostly just competent brawling; but THE MAN had plenty of decent matches over the years.  The Rock match at Backlash, the Raven title switch, that one damn fine Scott Steiner match, the Booker T job (aside from the instant no-sell of the finisher), etcetera.  But it's probably true that DDP pretty much picked up all 300 pounds of concussion-addled Goldberg and carried him like a fuckin' crucifix to the single greatest match of our entire career at HH98.  (Sid has his own carry job of honor, though; go back and rewatch the Royal Rumble 97 match, where he's out-bumping a clearly off-his-game Shawn Michaels.)  

Kinda surprised nobody's brought up Fonzie/Beulah, that one is a classic in terms of one performer practically working their opponent like a puppet.  

I did once see a guy literally work a broomstick.  It was a talented fellow named Dynamite Dan, who was so incredibly laid-back that his career never went anywhere practically because of ennui.  Dan had the driest sense of humor this side of Steven Wright, he'd done a gimmick where he'd hilariously parodied the other wrestlers he was facing, right down to facial tics and mumbled catchphrases.  I wish I could remember exactly what  the setup was or exactly what he did, time/headshots/drugs sadly blur the details, but somehow he managed to actually wrestle a broomstick for like two minutes.  It was spontaneously improvised, he just did it because he thought it'd be funny; and he actually got some of the Tennessee-but-kinda-smarky fans to enact an ironic "Go, broom, go!" chant.  I do recall that the tide turned when he shot the broom into the ropes and managed to broomstick-clothesline himself in the face, and then it turned into a double-down spot where the rest of the heels around ringside were shouting encouragement for Dan to kick that broom's ass.  

Bret vs Bulldog at Summerslam 92 and Steamboat vs Luger are the two that sprung to mind.

Didn't Steamboat say that Lex called their matches?  

Kinda weird that Bret/Bulldog gets so many shoutouts (it's not inaccurate, but still) while plenty of other easy examples go unmentioned.  Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Lawler vs Kerry Von Erich with the accidental blading, practically every Vince McMahon match ever, whenever insert-your-favorite-ECW-hardcore-legend-here showed up for work In No Condition To Perform...

• Like 1

Not sure if Sam counts as a broomstick or not (he was basically JTTS at this point), but enjoy nonetheless. I haven't watched this in 30 years and still remember it clear as day.

Bret vs Bulldog at Summerslam 92 and Steamboat vs Luger are the two that sprung to mind.

Eh, I don't know if Luger counts as a broomstick.  He wasn't a bad worker at all, just lazy a lot of the time.  I recently watched a perfectly above average Luger/Hayes match from, I think, Chi-Town Rumble and Hayes definitely did not carry Luger there.  And, as someone else here already mentioned, Steamboat has said that Luger called their matches.

• Like 1

No, Steamboat called their match at GAB to the extent that he was actually instructing Luger when to stooge on the crowd and everything

I guess calling the Summerslam match a broomstick job is unfair to Davey Boy but it is pretty much a fact that Bret had to carry him

first match that came to my mind was Bret Hart vs Pierre Oulette. 

now don't get me wrong, i love the Quebecers and even their lowcard run in WCW as the Amazing French-Canadians, but i don't think most people expected anything out of this match and it ended up being a fantastic little ditty.