DVDVR Message Board

UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz (1/31/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

tumblr_inline_ngtefe3L3Q1qep31s.jpg

UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz

January 31, 2015

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Anderson Silva (186) vs. Nick Diaz (185) - No Contest

Tyron Woodley (170.5) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (180)** - Woodley, DEC (split)

Joe Lauzon (156) vs. Al Iaquinta (156) - Iaquinta, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:34)

Thales Leites (186) vs. Tim Boetsch (185.5) - Leites, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:45)

Jordan Mein (169.5) vs. Thiago Alves (171) - Alves, TKO (body kick and punches), R2 (0:39)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Miesha Tate (135.5) vs. Sara McMann (135.5) - Tate, DEC (majority)

Ed Herman (186) vs. Derek Brunson (186) - Brunson, TKO (punches), R1 (0:36)

Ian McCall (126) vs. John Lineker (130)* - Lineker, DEC (unanimous)

Rafael Natal (185.5) vs. Tom Watson (186) - Natal, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Richardson Moreira (185.5) vs. Ildemar Alcântara (185) - Alcântara, DEC (split)

Thiago Santos (185.5) vs. Andy Enz (186) - Santos, TKO (punches), R1 (1:56)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight
**Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Thiago Alves

Performance of the Night: Thales Leites

Fight of the Night: Thales Leites vs. Tim Boetsch

Attendance: 13,114

Gate: $4.5 million

Buyrate: 650,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Diego Brandão vs. Jimy Hettes  - Hettes Removed Due to Undisclosed Medical Issue

He might end up fighting someone else in the interim though. I mean I am not ruling out MacDonald-Lombard being a stinker, but I do think whoever wins their title eliminator and doesn't get the shot will be pressured into fighting Diaz. The only way Nick gets one ASAP is if he is injury sub and someone else isn't ready (shit, that can still happen if Andy smokes him). However, I think Anderson probably wins this one easily so I'm not thinking of anymore crazy ass scenarios at 170 or 185.

I can't believe anyone thinks Nick beats Anderson.

Also that's another solid main card, plus McCall/Lineker should be a very good prelim fight.

Also that's another solid main card, plus McCall/Lineker should be a very good prelim fight.

At the very least I'm sure this is not the same Anderson Silva that you're thinking of in your head regardless of how far off of that guy he is.  It's a longshot but I don't ever count out Nick in a standup fight.  He's not going to lay on top of Nick for the whole fight which is what Nick's losses consist of.  You've never seen him knocked out, it will be a fight in my opinion. 

At the very least I'm sure this is not the same Anderson Silva that you're thinking of in your head regardless of how far off of that guy he is.  It's a longshot but I don't ever count out Nick in a standup fight.  He's not going to lay on top of Nick for the whole fight which is what Nick's losses consist of.  You've never seen him knocked out, it will be a fight in my opinion. 

The best striker he's fought was Paul Daley and he got dropped and almost finished.

Anderson is much bigger and stronger than Daley and if he rocks Nick he's going to finish the fight.

If murderous Anderson Silva shows up then yeah.  If silly Anderson Silva shows up and sleeps on Nick Diaz's jab, then no.

I would like to think that in the interim since the two Weidman fights, Silva is going to walk into the octagon with a chip on his shoulder and looking to send a message at the expense of Nick Diaz's cranium, but I have been proved wrong before.

The best striker he's fought was Paul Daley and he got dropped and almost finished.

Anderson is much bigger and stronger than Daley and if he rocks Nick he's going to finish the fight.

More importantly, the last southpaw he fought (Zaromskis) dropped him. That fight will be five years old this Friday. Before that, the last true southpaw Nick Diaz faced was Katsuya Inoue in May 2008. He has fought 11 orthodox fighters and one southpaw (the aforementioned Zaromskis) who fights right handed a lot subsequently. I was watching that fight and he isn't landing the jab. He's missing and going to the body instead. That's against a much smaller, less skilled guy. Moreover, it's smaller, less skilled guy who was willing to actively engage against him. I know Nick has fought from the orthodox stance before, but is Anderson Silva the guy you want to change your style against just to land a jab?

Everyone has their opinion but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to back your argument up with a fight that Nick won by first round TKO. 

Prime 100% Anderson probably dances around and makes Diaz miss and pretty much has his way with him striking and is able to finish the fight at any point he wants to.  My point of view is that it's highly unlikely that you will see that same Anderson Silva again.  It will most likely be good enough to win but like I said, I wouldn't completely discount Nick's chances. 

Prime 100% Anderson probably dances around and makes Diaz miss and pretty much has his way with him striking and is able to finish the fight at any point he wants to.  My point of view is that it's highly unlikely that you will see that same Anderson Silva again.  It will most likely be good enough to win but like I said, I wouldn't completely discount Nick's chances. 

Well, he is fighting a guy whose style allows him to do that. The whole first round, if it isn't a blowout, might just be mostly Nick Diaz taunting. The thing is Anderson has never been this slug it out, Fight of the Night type fighter. Everyone of those fights where he did go full bore ended in a finish (win or loss) save for the Maia fight. Not saying this fight is completely safe from being that type oddity, but I think Nick's best chance to win the fight also is what can get him knocked cleaned out.

Everyone has their opinion but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to back your argument up with a fight that Nick won by first round TKO. 

I only used the Daley fight as an example, because despite having never been KO'd before, he's gotten hurt and dropped by various opponents smaller and weaker than Anderson.

Didn't even Gomi hurt and drop him a couple of times in their fight? Yes, I know that was many years ago, but it just proves my point that if those smaller guys could drop him, imagine what a much bigger fighter can do to him.