DVDVR Message Board

windows 10

It's not just local TV and radio still with old versions

I am at a Unversity and half the machines here still run XP

Of course some of this is the fact that we are a state institution - so for example, we run a lot of state mandated programs that ONLY work on IE.

Pretty secure...

We just upgraded from Win 2k four months ago at work, I don't know how quickly we'll go to Win10

My jaw hit the floor reading this. How in the fuck did your company function with that? Jeezus, that's crazy to think of.

The potential rollout to 10 might not be bad for some areas. But anything medical like hospitals and clinics likely won't see this for some time. Even then, odds are it won't work with most of the medical programs because they're tied to at best XP. Big names like UMMC are just now getting ready to put in 7, but aren't expecting it to stick with the programs used.

Not true. I was a team lead for a group that rolled out Win 8 last spring to multiple hospitals and clinics. I wouldn't be surprised if we're doing Win 10 a year from now.

What state do you live in?  In Maryland the ones I've worked at have had these kinds of issues.  It mainly comes down to they spend out the ass for all these programs years ago.  Yet it's like pulling teeth to get approval for anything that can be barely supported/put in compatibility mode for 7.

Why would you need a work computer running anything past XP unless you were involved in some very high end graphics software? If all you're doing on it is paperwork what OS you are using is an utter irrelevance. OS updates are for people that want to play around. Office computers should always stick to cheap options.

Anyway, I will likely pass on the free upgrade to 10 because of my main system's age, combined with the fact that windows 7 has been so stable on it. I'll just probably go straight to buying a new 10 system at some point. DirectX 12 will be Windows 10 exclusive, but I don't see 100% of games going DirectX 12 required right away or anything. In fact there's pretty much zero chance that happens, so I'm willing to wait and watch in this case, and then get in when I have to.

What state do you live in? In Maryland the ones I've worked at have had these kinds of issues. It mainly comes down to they spend out the ass for all these programs years ago. Yet it's like pulling teeth to get approval for anything that can be barely supported/put in compatibility mode for 7.

Washington.

This is turning into the IT Misery Thread.

I worked for a state agency that was still running Server 2003 for almost all of the critical applications. My former boss would freak out every time upgrading would be brought up. Apparently, the agency had enough money to give directors Surface tablets but not enough to buy a new server.

I can back up the statement that XP was reliable. Too reliable in Microsoft's eyes. They are sitting on this twelve year old operating system and thinking "Damn, how can we sell people on Win 7/8? I know! Let's stop supporting XP. That'll show 'em!" A necessary evil to progress, I guess. *shrugs*

For the Virginia hospitals I work for, we just upgraded to Win 7 in time for XP's EOL, we finished last spring.  So I imagine we will upgrade to something whenever Win 7's EOL is and not a second sooner than that.  So expensive to upgrade, not just the software but the man hours.  Oh the man hours.

I am looking forward to trying Win 10.  I hated Win 8's interface but loved the speed, if they can make the interface better but keep it fast, I'm on board.  I mean after a year passes and they patch up whatever doesn't work right.

Man, I have it good.  My company upgraded to Windows 7 a while back, moving from Server 2008 to Server 2012 on the network side as new servers are built and we only have a few 2003 servers left that we're phasing out before EOL in July.  I need to print this thread and show it to my boss whenever he thinks we're not doing enough to get rid of old stuff.

• Like 1

I put Classic Shell on my win8 desktop at work and now it's like having a great win7 machine.

Classic Shell is great until you have to deal with a dummy who clicks on every link and spyware/trojans jump on the .exe.

Not to mention OpenVPN seems to not function at all with Classic Shell installed.