DVDVR Message Board

windows 10

I honestly don't have a clue about it.  The only thing I know is that through black magic one will be able to play a game across platform from xb1 to pc running Windows 10 according to my xb1 dashboard.

This pisses me off to no end because I unboxed my xb1 3 weeks ago out of boredom.  Had I known this....I'd probably traded it in on a ps4 and then built a pc to play exclusives for each.

Fuck you microsoft.  

/end butthurt

• Like 1

It's free to upgrade for a year after Windows 10's release, after the first year, anyone that wants to upgrade will have to pay. There isn't a subscription fee, as of now.

Yes, but what happens if you don't pay? Will your PC restore to 8.1 by itself? Or will I have to re-install my old version of Windows (which is almost always a nightmare)?

Did you just wake up?  Anyone that upgrades within the 1st year of its release gets it for free.

There is no charge to upgrade the software for 12 months

There is no subscription fee.

Anyone who upgrades within 365 days of WIN10's release gets it for free.

WIN10 $0

• Like 2

Did you just wake up?  Anyone that upgrades within the 1st year of its release gets it for free.

There is no charge to upgrade the software for 12 months

There is no subscription fee.

Anyone who upgrades within 365 days of WIN10's release gets it for free.

WIN10 $0

So you're saying it's free, then?

I may consider upgrading my Windows 8 laptop to Win10 just to see what it's like.

I however am not looking forward to dealing with users and their issues after they try to upgrade in an enterprise environment. Microsoft seems to talk more about the structure should be more free but there's no talk about security for the OS.

I would love to try it to see how it's like.  I'm easily impressed, so the start menu being like it used to be with some tiles is gravy for me.  I would be curious about how it would tie into mobile devices.

Regarding enterprise environments, I recall when they first introduced it they said that they had enterprise in mind with this one.  If they can get the security part right I could see businesses picking this up quicker than they have with 7.

When I saw the free upgrade thing I got pissed figuring that you would need to have Windows 8 and FUCK Windows 8. Then I saw that folks with Windows 7 qualify for the free upgrade and now I'm like FUCK YEAH!

We just upgraded from Win 2k four months ago at work, I don't know how quickly we'll go to Win10

My jaw hit the floor reading this.  How in the fuck did your company function with that?  Jeezus, that's crazy to think of.

The potential rollout to 10 might not be bad for some areas.  But anything medical like hospitals and clinics likely won't see this for some time.  Even then, odds are it won't work with most of the medical programs because they're tied to at best XP.  Big names like UMMC are just now getting ready to put in 7, but aren't expecting it to stick with the programs used.

We're currently on 7.1 Enterprise for most things.  I think our old graphics computers were running NT 4?

Actually, prior to getting our new equipment in 2004, our CG was running 3.1.1 and our still store was the Ampex ESS, which debuted in 1977!

I can backup Zeidler here. I work in radio and most of our computers are XP. Our servers are in fact 2003. There's a few select computers that are Win 8 but the ones that actually are responsible for running the stations are all XP.

Which is actually is.

Except its EOL and support stopped last year, so if you want any official support, you have to go to at least 7 now.  Which isn't horrible.

Now getting jumped to 8.1 for no good reason other than the Exec level thinks it looks pretty and wanted Surface tablets, well, yeah.  That's an issue, especially when you have a lazy End User Tech team.