DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Eh12JkgWkAAL9O1?format=jpg&name=small

Dominic Thiem wins the US Open, his first Grand Slam from two sets down. Last time that happened at the event was 71 years ago, Pancho Gonzales. Thiem is the first player to claim a Grand Slam title from two sets down since Gaston Gaudio at the French Open in 2004. Thiem had lost three consecutive Grand Slam finals: the 2018 and 2019 French Opens, followed by the Australian Open earlier this year. Glad Dominic Theim has won his first Grand Slam Title.

Edited by The Natural

• 4 weeks later...

Toughest task in sport? Beating Rafael Nadal at the French Open. 12 time champion with a win loss record of 99-2. Nadal's never lost a French Open Semi-Final or Final. Staggering numbers.

Edited by The Natural

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Toughest task in sport? Beating Rafael Nadal at the French Open. 12 time champion with a win loss record of 99-2. Nadal's never lost a French Open Semi-Final or Final. Staggering numbers.

EkDZjMBWoAUJo4P?format=jpg&name=small

Rafael Nadal won the first set 6-love versus the world number one, Novak Djokovic and 6-2 in the second. Incredible. Nadal's nearly unstoppable on the clay.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

EkDZjMBWoAUJo4P?format=jpg&name=small

Rafael Nadal won the first set 6-love versus the world number one, Novak Djokovic and 6-2 in the second. Incredible. Nadal's nearly unstoppable on the clay.

6-0, 6-2, 7-5.

13th French Open for Rafael Nadal.

100-2 record at the French Open.

100% record in the French Open Semi-Final and Final.

20th Grand Slam tying Roger Federer for the most.

You won't ever see dominance like Rafael Nadal at the French Open in any other sport. Staggering numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Third plane this evening also. Too late to cancel it but it's going to be a farce.

You're either going to get some guy coming from nowhere to win it due to having a decent preparation through the qualifiers with solid match practice, or given the elite guys turned up a few days before the others, are probably going to be able to make the most of that, and it'll get super one sided.

• 4 months later...
46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maria Osaka withdrawals from French Open, largely over her refusal to do press conferences, citing mental health concerns. 

She didn't want to be at a presser where people would be like, "So, your clay game really sucks. Any thoughts?"  Can't say that I blame her since she has struggled with depression in the past and has a hard time processing dumb hater crap on social media.

She's a quiet, private person, doesn't like public engagements or speaking in front of crowds, and prefers to let her tennis do the talking.  I can understand journalists wanting access to the top players, but the WTA needs to stop treating players like they are obligated spokesmodels.  Naomi's a good ambassador for the sport when you let her take things at her own pace and do shit her way.

Edited by J.T.

There's also the matter of pressers being contractually obligated.

Which isn't to say there should not be reforms, especially when you add in the old men vs young women/girls dynamic of women's tennis. 

I think it's a complicated issue

• Like 2

I feel for Naomi but I also think that most sports would in the long run be worse off if the press was not given access to the athletes and they instead communicated mostly through press releases and hand-picked interviews. I think things may have worked out for the best as I had this odd feeling that if she is bringing this up now it might mean she's not personally in the best place right now, and if true then as much as it sucks it might be best if she's not subjected to the pressure of a major in that case. Definitely a tricky situation though and I don't see an easy "they're right/wrong" or fix there.

• Like 1

Candace Owens also had some not so nice things to say about Naomi before the asshole learned that Naomi suffers from chronic depression though Naomi's own confession.

I'm glad that we're starting to get away from the "just walk it off" days of dealing with mental health issues.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, username said:

I feel for Naomi but I also think that most sports would in the long run be worse off if the press was not given access to the athletes and they instead communicated mostly through press releases and hand-picked interviews. I think things may have worked out for the best as I had this odd feeling that if she is bringing this up now it might mean she's not personally in the best place right now, and if true then as much as it sucks it might be best if she's not subjected to the pressure of a major in that case. Definitely a tricky situation though and I don't see an easy "they're right/wrong" or fix there.

I feel bad for her too, but, at the same time, I assume she or someone in her camp understood what the WTA expects out of players re: dealing with the press.  So how did she expect this to turn out when she unilaterally decided she wasn't going uphold her end of things?

It's a complicated issue, but, generally, I feel like if you're suffering from social anxiety and/or mental health issues, pro athlete is probably not the profession for you (neither is public speaker, sports commentator, etc.).

I met Ricky Williams during the period where he was doing press appearances and meet and greets with fans wearing a football helmet (away from the field) and it was both sad and somewhat comical.  The natural reaction is to feel bad for him, but, at the same time, he appears to have understood that he was putting himself in a position that wasn't detrimental to his mental health, and he kept agreeing to be in that position, so..... I dunno.

13 minutes ago, Eoae said:

It's a complicated issue, but, generally, I feel like if you're suffering from social anxiety and/or mental health issues, pro athlete is probably not the profession for you (neither is public speaker, sports commentator, etc.).

I would agree if the bullshit going on in the NBA didn't remind me that people seem to believe that purchasing a ticket to a game entitles them to interact with players in stupid ways.  The sports media also seems to feel empowered to occasionally conduct themselves in an inconsiderate manner while calling it "asking the tough questions."

There has to be a happy medium between protecting players and giving media and fans access to the players (which is why we go to live sporting events in the first place), but the answer we seem to be getting from the WTA at least is that players should just suck it up and prepare to deal with a rude and abusive press.

I'm somewhat cool with that because as you say, if you're going to be a pro athlete you need to have thick skin, but I also feel that the organizations that govern these sports could do a better job at making these interactions between the players and the public a bit more orderly.  You should be able to ask Naomi Osaka questions about her play and the matches she faces without being overly insulting or digging into her personal life.

And yeah, I know that I am going to be somewhat biased since Naomi is like four years older than my daughter, so I feel somewhat protective of Naomi as I wouldn't want any abuse heaped on my daughter's shoulders either especially if I knew she was suffering from depression.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Plus, anyone who thinks Tennis fans are passive and mannerly and better behaved than the fans of other sports should go talk to Monica Seles about that shit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Candace Owens also had some not so nice things to say about Naomi before the asshole learned that Naomi suffers from chronic depression though Naomi's own confession.

I'm glad that we're starting to get away from the "just walk it off" days of dealing with mental health issues.

Thankfully understanding of mental health issues has improved though there's still work to be done though. More compassion and less judgemental. Hope you're well xxx.

• Like 2