DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Patrick McEnroe kept saying earlier tonight "no way Nadal can beat Berdych 19 times in a row", since Nadal currently won the last 18 matches over Berdych. His fellow announcers were laughing at him, but he was dead serious when he called the upset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Milos Raonic actually beat a highly ranked tennis player (Rafa Nadal) today, and even broke service once to do it. The big Canadian might finally be putting everything together. Now that I have said this, watch Federer come oyut and destroy him in the semifinals tomorrow.

Milos Raonic actually beat a highly ranked tennis player (Rafa Nadal) today, and even broke service once to do it. The big Canadian might finally be putting everything together. Now that I have said this, watch Federer come oyut and destroy him in the semifinals tomorrow.

Federer pretty much had control over the game but it wasn't a blowout, just 13-9 over 2.

Djokovic is amazingly nasty. Although Murray does have ways of wilting a bit.

Raonic hasn't beaten Federer in a hard-court set without a tiebreaker. So losing the 11th game to go down 6-5 with Fed serving game 12 was a crucial loss after handling his business for most of that set. Add in another loss to start the 2nd set. Some guys are just so good that they can beat you if you just screw up twice.

So, Halep v. Jankovic?

looks like todays the day for Jelena Jankovic to defeat Halep because Halep keeps losing her games (and Halep's toe too). 6-2 first set. 3-1 in the 2nd so far.

edit: so Jankovic loses the 6th game on her serve to make it 3-3

edit: 3 games in a row with serves broken!

edit: 4 in a row, Jankovic serving up 5-4.

edit: 5 in a row. 5-5 now. Either 7-5 or an epic tiebreaker that goes on until someone holds serve

edit: Sorry Jankovic!

• 1 month later...

Ever want to see The Bryan Brothers play music in front of a Palm Springs ballroom holding roughly between 30 - 50 ex-wives of doctors? And then up the stakes with an incredibly awkward Novak Djokovic dancing? This is your day.

• 4 weeks later...

At this point, only Steffi Graf has a decent argument against outright crowning Serena. And at the rate Serena is going, Steffi won't have that advantage for long.

40 fewer titles is a big gap. The argument against Williams is she doesn't perform nearly as well in smaller tournaments.

The looooooong run of greatness is a big plus, obviously.

I'm going by Grand Slams. And Serena also has several of those by playing doubles with Venus, which Steffi only did for a couple of years and didn't have much success with it.

Eh, women's doubles is incredibly thin talent-wise. It's nice and all but I don't give much credit for those.

Women's singles is very much lacking talent-wise outside of Serena as well. Her sister was supposed to be her #1 challenger, and injuries have killed that rivalry, even more than the two of them half-assing their matches against one another did.

And if we count doubles, that makes Martina Navratilova the undisputed queen. 18 singles grand slams, 31 doubles grand slams, and 10 mixed doubles grand slams for 59 total slams. Serena's at 35 total right now (20, 13, 2).

Edited because I hit 6 instead of 8. :)

Edited by Dewar

Martina has 18 singles Grand Slams--don't cheat the woman!  ;)

You can make a strong argument for Serena, Steffi, or Martina.  Chris Evert, too. I'd go with Serena and Steffi neck-to-neck with Martina right there, but that's my take.

Makes me feel bad for Monica Seles again, she was awesome before that idiot stabbed her. She was pretty good after her return, but it was never the same. :(

• Like 1