DVDVR Message Board

2014-15 NFL Playoffs: Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

Well, there's two AFC titles, and I think six or seven trips to the conference title game, and a compete dominance of the division during those ten years. The string of excellence hasn't really broken despite not winning another ring.

To actually be serious though, it's sad because it doesn't reflect just how dominant they've been since their last Super Bowl win. The number of rings isn't an accurate reflection of team performance. They've really been the most dominant team over the last decade. 

• Like 1

To actually be serious though, it's sad because it doesn't reflect just how dominant they've been since their last Super Bowl win. The number of rings isn't an accurate reflection of team performance. They've really been the most dominant team over the last decade. 

Does dominant really mean squat when a team (you crushed 45-3) comes into your house six weeks later to knock you out of the playoffs?

• Like 3

Does dominant really mean squat when a team (you crushed 45-3) comes into your house six weeks later to knock you out of the playoffs?

Dominant is clearly the wrong word.  As is excellence.  Good is more fitting.  Maybe very good even, but that's about as far as I'd go.  

It's the football version of "first world problems."

I'd have to agree, given that pretty much every major sports team in that metro area has won their sport's top prize in the last decade or so.

Sure, that and the fact that there are teams that have been shit for so long that would just love to make the playoffs sometime.  "I once lamented I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet."

I don't even know how you could.

Well, that's not entirely true. People talk about the Detroit Red Wings like some kind of uninterrupted dynasty all the time I guess. But I'd like to think most people see through that.

There really isn't all that much talk of a Red Wings dynasty. From 1995-2002? Sure. Now? Nah. Now it's mostly longest playoff streak in sports", that kind of thing.

Even then, they've won more recently than New England :) And probably should have had a second title the year after that.

I don't even know how you could.

Well, that's not entirely true. People talk about the Detroit Red Wings like some kind of uninterrupted dynasty all the time I guess. But I'd like to think most people see through that.

There really isn't all that much talk of a Red Wings dynasty. From 1995-2002? Sure. Now? Nah. Now it's mostly longest playoff streak in sports", that kind of thing.

Even then, they've won more recently than New England :) And probably should have had a second title the year after that.

It's more of a media thing at this point than a fan thing. Which in a sense is where a lot of the Patriots hate comes from too: the talking heads sure like to tell us certain narratives, over and over and over.

The less one pays attention to them the less aggravating this stuff seems no doubt. It's probably one reason I have found so much enjoyment in soccer in the last couple years; as nuts as the European media is (and the BBC are the biggest sports rumor whores in all of media), in north America it still gets less coverage than the other major sports so it's a little easier to just follow the games and dodge all the "noise" telling us what to think.

So you were wondering why Tom Brady was flipping out on a ref against Baltimore and didn't get a flag?

Turns out Timmy Jernigan poked him in the eye right in front of the refs with no call

I once watched a Titans player literally spike David Garrard's head into the ground right in front of a ref and there was no call, so I'm not going to feel much sympathy for Pretty Boy.

It's like saying the 49ers dynasty was from '81-'98.  It really wasn't, was it?  The dynasty ended on 15-13. So, Young went on to have a Hall of Fame career and Rice was still the best WR in the game and Seifert was still the coach. They won another Super Bowl in '94 which was a tremendous collection of talent.  But it wasn't really one super long dynasty was it?  They won 10+ games every year except the strike year in '82.  It reaches a point where only a couple names remain.  I like to think of dynasties where many of the players are the same.