DVDVR Message Board

I always show up at the end of Artist A's set if I want to see Artist B's set, then make my way to the front (or as close as possible) while everyone is filling out. That's how I got really good spots for Cloud Nothings and Ty Segall.

It looks like the only major summer festivals we will not know the lineups for next week will be Firefly and Forecastle. 

I wonder of Sasquatch is attempting the two separate lineups thing from last year again.

Am I the only one that thinks two weekend festivals are fucking dumb?

They're dumb and the water down things. I think Coachella's quality has dipped since they started.

The only acceptable festival for it in my opinion is Jazz Fest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ACL drop the second weekend at some point. I think they've reached a point where there is no way to accommodate the crazy of trying to squeeze everything into one weekend from a local-impact point of view, so they bring back the national acts for a second week with different locals, but now they've reached a point where both weekends have enough heat and tourists to make shit messy for locals, but not enough to reach that critical mass inside the park. They're basically victims of their own success (and the total clusterfuck Austin has become generally as its out-of-control growth continues).

I wouldn't be surprised to see ACL drop the second weekend at some point. I think they've reached a point where there is no way to accommodate the crazy of trying to squeeze everything into one weekend from a local-impact point of view, so they bring back the national acts for a second week with different locals, but now they've reached a point where both weekends have enough heat and tourists to make shit messy for locals, but not enough to reach that critical mass inside the park. They're basically victims of their own success (and the total clusterfuck Austin has become generally as its out-of-control growth continues).

Well, I think ACL more than any of the other fests was responding to people complaining about how quickly they sold out a one weekend festival.

With a festival like ACL, you're only going to sell out your first weekend because the luster of the festival is not the same for the second weekend, and you do not have the same media coverage either.

2014's was a little different in that they booked Lorde for the second weekend, which I am sure helped that weekend slightly.

There's a lot to like in that Roo lineup, but there is not a lot of WOW.

Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals Reunion is a pretty awesome add though.

I hope they do tour some non-fest dates in the southeast. 

Of the Acts I haven't seen that I want to see,there's just enough to entice me, but I am not as giddy as past years over it.

My Morning Jacket

Billy Joel

Florence

Brandi Carlile

Hozier

Ben Harper

Bassnectar

Jamie XX
The Growlers

Houndmouth

War on Drugs

Strand of Oaks

I know, different strokes and all that, but I just can't see how anybody is excited that Billy Freakin' Joel is one of the headliners for Bonnaroo. The guy who wrote and performed "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" is one of the headliners at one of the premier hip music festivals. He's one of the definers of the term "whitebread" when it comes to music. Do they just book these old dudes with a dartboard? Next up: Motor City Mildman Bob Seger. Or a Springsteen tribute band. At least McCartney used to be a Beatle, fer goodness' sake.

I know, different strokes and all that, but I just can't see how anybody is excited that Billy Freakin' Joel is one of the headliners for Bonnaroo. The guy who wrote and performed "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" is one of the headliners at one of the premier hip music festivals. He's one of the definers of the term "whitebread" when it comes to music. Do they just book these old dudes with a dartboard? Next up: Motor City Mildman Bob Seger. Or a Springsteen tribute band. At least McCartney used to be a Beatle, fer goodness' sake.

A lot of Roo's audience is younger and probably does not have the experience with Joel's catalog that some might, so they're just excited to hear say "Piano Man" live.

I am also a big proponent of seeing guys with a mostly positive reputation live, for the "oh shit, I saw _______" live thing.

In some cases, that ends up being one of the best shows of my life (like Macca was).

Some really good stuff in the middle of the card, but meh....

I don't give two shits about Billy Joel and Mumford.  Kendrick will be cool, but I was in the pit for that a couple years ago.  I'm guessing he is getting a main stage headliner set?  I knew it would be a better time slot than last time, but I was expecting a late night show.

I don't give two shits about Billy Joel and Mumford.  Kendrick will be cool, but I was in the pit for that a couple years ago.  I'm guessing he is getting a main stage headliner set?  I knew it would be a better time slot than last time, but I was expecting a late night show.

The rumor is both he and Deadmau5 are going unopposed on the main stage, which probably would mean a healthy nap for myself if I go.

Bonnaroo is hip? It's basically all-natural whitebread.

A bunch of dirty people doing drugs in a field doesn't exactly scream whitebread to me, but ehh..  

I get what you are trying to say about the type of acts, but this is a place that has 5 shows going at 3 AM.  Lots of variety.  You can hate like 2/3rds of the lineup and still barely catch all the shows you want to see.  

Bonnaroo is hip? It's basically all-natural whitebread.

You meant Coachella right? Bonnaroo is far from whitebread. It's probably the most unique *BIG* festival in America.

The rumor is both he and Deadmau5 are going unopposed on the main stage, which probably would mean a healthy nap for myself if I go.

Kendrick from 10-11:30, then Deadmau5 from midnight to whenever. Something like that. Both are headliners, but Kendrick will more or less pre-headline for Deadmau5, going into his late night What spot. Basically, the Stevie Wonder/Jay Z slot from 2010. Which is pretty big, even if I don't like that kind of music. Only the third person ever to do a LN What show (Phish and Jay Z were the first two), and the first EDM act to ever do it.

Even though I am by no means a Dead guy, I kind of hate that Bonnaroo didn't secure the Dead reunion. It would definitely surpass our current headliner situation.

Also, other southeast festivals dropped their lineups. Shaky Knees is a festival that understands its audience and released a rad lineup. Big Guava in Tampa uses a lot of those same artists plus Passion Pit, and Counterpoint just sounds like a chaotic blur of Jam Bands and EDM.

The Price-point and shorter drive to Counterpoint has me interested as well. Shaky Knees is really the most friendly lineup to me, but I understand they are in a bad venue for a third year in a row. Can they really not justify a full weekend in Piedmont Park or Centennial without charging an arm and a leg?