DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-5-15

MGFanJay

anyways, 3 hour shows are death for audiences. Short of distributing crystal meth to the fans, how are you gonna keep them alive by the end on most nights after 3 fucking hours of unopposed action?

Actually put on an entertaining product.

how many products/sports/etc are consistently awesome for 3 hours in a row?

short of reviving crash TV for a short-term bump, there's not a way to have a 3 hour show that isn't gonna wear out a predominantly young crowd by the end of the night

When that scenario works the crowd responds with jeers and boos. They don't sit on their hands. People aren't reacting because we had the payoff to this already. This is now redundant. People should be okay with this because it means Sting is coming back to get rid of them? It already fucking happened. They already paid money to to see it.

anyways, 3 hour shows are death for audiences. Short of distributing crystal meth to the fans, how are you gonna keep them alive by the end on most nights after 3 fucking hours of unopposed action?

short of reviving crash TV for a short-term bump, there's not a way to have a 3 hour show that isn't gonna wear out a predominantly young crowd by the end of the night

People seem to be entertained by 4 hour long football games just fine. Maybe it's because football announcers aren't constantly shitting on their own product and Roger Goodell doesn't handwave games away and make everything meaningless after the games are played.

So it's been a couple of weeks....how is the NEW DAY stable going?

Are they doing anything outside yelling "New Day!" and dancing this week? The Raw recaps tell me "no" but maybe I'm not giving the writers the benefit of doubt.

I'm sure they will progress those characters in the coming weeks.  I'll check in again later.

Reason number one: If the Authority tried this shit in the 80's/90's, faces would be rioting, and laying out fools.

There's heels going over, and there's booking you faces as spineless cowards that don't stand for anything.

Hogan, Savage, Dusty, Sting, JYD, The Vob Erich's... They wouldn't suffer this shit.

Yeah I mean, I just don't think heel promoter works unless you've got a Stone Cold figure who doesn't play by the rules on the face side. Someone should be showing up at the end there with a pool cue to beat Triple h's head in with it...

It's like Taken 4 starting out with Bryan Mills standing around doing nothing the first hour while Albanians kick around his daughter and his old CIA buddies...

Well, except for ebbie because she got hers.

:D

Told you fuckers that Barrett's the only guy who wins the title in angles.

I IS SO SMART! S-M-R-T! I MEAN S-M-A-R-T!

But really, I didn't have the announcing on and stuff, but I hope Barrett cuts a promo about how stupid it is for Ziggles care more about "putting on good matches" instead of fucking winning. The Authority is terrible and all, but when one of the most over guys on the show don't even want to fucking win, why bother?

• Like 2

Problems with this angle:

1. It made the babyfaces look like total pussies who aren't worth caring about. Can you imagine how Austin or Rock would have reacted if Vince gave them a tongue-lashing and fired them in the middle of the ring? They wouldn't have just stood there hanging their heads in shame, that's for damn sure. Seriously, who would ever get behind such pathetic characters?

2. Who gives a shit if someone gets fired? I've lost count of all the times someone has gotten fired and ended not missing a single show. Not to mention that big stipulation that was rendered completely meaningless LAST FUCKING WEEK.

This is by no means intended to be an exhaustive list. Additions are not only welcomed, they're allowed.

• Like 3

Did I miss something?   Didn't BNB return last week to a face pop and got the KO pin victory against Cesaro and now he takes the heel's route to victory against Ziggler with help from Kane's shenanigans?

People seem to be entertained by 4 hour long football games just fine. Maybe it's because football announcers aren't constantly shitting on their own product and Roger Goodell doesn't handwave games away and make everything meaningless after the games are played.

But the refs do.

• Like 1

They don't even use the three hours effectively. It's recap after recap. Fuck all that. I don't go to Raws anymore because it's fucking boring. In Chicago it's boring to go to a Raw because your ability to survive through the slew of repetitive and boring segments is something more adequate for a Navy Seal. The one positive is not hearing the announcing, which on a night like time, spent their time burying the shit out of the Ascension. Good work fellas, way to get over your new talent.

Yeah, I have no idea why everyone is shitting on this angle. None. You guys could get Savage/Steamboat AND the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and Hogan turning and would hate it.

That you actually believe that tonight's show is in any way comparable to any of those angles is why it is so hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

Did I compare this angle to those? No. I'm stating that everyone has a knee jack reaction to everything on Raw these days. It's a yawn fest reading it, honestly.

A knee-jerk reaction may have been piling onto the Authority angle a year ago, when it was still (somewhat) fresh.

Re-hashing the exact same angle, almost literally to a T, a year later, isn't a knee-jerk. We've all read this book before.

But the refs do.

Tony Romo is a great cowardly heel though. And he always makes sure to show ass.

I'm on Gregg's side here, I thought it was good storytelling and logical. I'm not convinced the pay off will be tremendous (most because taking Ziggler Rowan and Ryback off TV is a face move in my book) but I'll tune in for the journey.

Also, I'll even take it a step further and applaud the Ascension segment. They have been getting zero reaction. None. With one promo they have become the only people on the roster that all the announcers unanimously hate. It's great; if Cole and JBL can agree these guys are douches, they must really be douches. People love nostalgia, and I think this will actually end up getting them heel heat. Granted they are the absolute drizzling shits in ring so they won't be able to sustain it, but this angle of getting all the retired rasslers pissed off for disrespecting the biz is an inspired choice to get them some much needed heat. Killing jobbers alone clearly wasn't going to cut it.

It's funny, because Michael Cole not liking something seems to me like the quickest way to actually make it appear cool.

Like, if Michael Cole thinks you're cool, then you're definitely not. So if he's shitting on the Ascension, it may actually help them.

Reading some of these facebook comments... what is WITH wrestling fans!? Some of the strangest stuff I've ever read. They seem to believe wwe exists in some real / fake hybrid world, talking about storylines but bemoaning the authority, and the good guys getting fired. It's so bizarre. 

People seem to be entertained by 4 hour long football games just fine. Maybe it's because football announcers aren't constantly shitting on their own product and Roger Goodell doesn't handwave games away and make everything meaningless.

1) there's a lot of prime time stinkers from the NFL but when you have 16 matchups a week, it's damn near impossible to not get a good game every week

2) are they putting out a bad product? or are the announcers just shitting on it to make it bad?

3) Goodell has done a better job working games and getting storylines than the WWE, sure. They also do it over 21 weeks or so instead of 52 weeks.

But seriously, kill off the 3rd hour. Have 30min planned of "postshow" on USA and WWEN (which is always less than 30min due to matches running over). The fanbase is made up of 11 year olds and they're running the equivalent of marathon tapings every week.

Reading some of these facebook comments... what is WITH wrestling fans!? Some of the strangest stuff I've ever read. They seem to believe wwe exists in some real / fake hybrid world, talking about storylines but bemoaning the authority, and the good guys getting fired. It's so bizarre. 

it's Facebook.

And Kayfabe lives.

• Like 1

Gambling has more to do with that than whether everyone is really entertained with NFL product.

Check out a Diva like Lana on Instagram and report back with your thoughts. If you think the Facebok shit is weird...woo boy.

it's Facebook.

And Kayfabe lives.

it's not that they think it's real. it's the really, really weird mix of the two. it's just very odd. 

Gambling has more to do with that than whether everyone is really entertained with NFL product.

since the WWE isn't an actual sport, they can launch a gambling front and promote fans gambling money on the outcome of worked matches, right?

• Like 1