DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Things that need to happen.

1.) When Cesaro finally goes heel on Kidd, he needs to bring the Vaudevillains up as a his Edgeheads.

2.) When Sasha comes up, she needs to reunite Naomi and Cameron as her minions.

I feel like it will be Kidd turning on Cesaro. Kidd's much more the natural heel IMO

This crowd was so hot that it really brought home how much doing multiple tapings in a row unnecessarily hurts the shows later in the tapings when they are shown on TV.

I really loved the dueling Owens/Zayn chants (and Owens dismissing the crowd). This whole opener was really great, actually, with the mirroring of how Owens got Zayn to agree to fight him for the gold and all that. I even bought that it burns Owens up that he can't shake Zayn, though I wish they had pushed that idea a bit more in past promos and such. I will say that Owens really put over this idea really, really well later on when he was on commentary and pointed out how no one gives him credit or attention for being a righteous family man because everyone keeps talking about him and Zayn instead. Anyway, it can't be possible that Zayn's winning, right? I really have no idea how this is going to go, honestly. Looking forward to it. 

Enzo/Cass is so money. They are getting their routine where Enzo takes an ass-whooping before Cass comes in to save him down. I actually think Cass is finding his in-ring niche as a pretty good hot tag; he gets progressively better at this each time I see him. 

Dana Brooke looked much better, albeit she was wrestling Bayley, whom I haven't seen have a bad match in forever. There are things that she naturally has, and I can see why they signed her. It seems like she took in-ring shit-talking classes from Mark Henry because she's really good at that. She cut down on the posing, too, which is good (though her entrance still has WAY too much of that shit). This was pretty simple for her to execute; she got beat up, had a few control moments where she did some basic chokes and shit, and then let Bayley do the rest leading up to the finish. 

Rhyno/Corbin really interests me, and I've never been a Rhyno fan.

Itami's confused look when he was watching Adam Rose and the Rosebuds come out and do their schtick was pretty amazing. I actually liked this match quite a lot as a glorified squash; it was fast-paced and Itami cut through Rose's bullshit prancing and just struck the shit out of him until he won. 

Becky Lynch should really focus on just tying people up in knots. Loved how she initially locked in the armbar by using the forearm to grind her opponent's head down to the mat and leave a better opening to secure it. It was a thing of beauty. I feel like she's also getting more comfortable by the week and that we're beginning to see why she was so highly-regarded before coming into the company. 

Let me finish here by talking about Owens. He is insanely great in his role as smarmy heel ace. I love that he came out for commentary and promptly reminded everyone that last time he came out, he was disrespected and had to throw someone over a table. Phillips remembering this and telling Saxton (or vice versa, can't tell 'em apart) to just agree with Owens later on after Owens reminded them about Zayn being the shortest-reigning NXT champ was priceless. Anyway, this dude is clearly tough, but he also does a great job of being a chickenshit and cheapshotting asshole without doing it in a way that undercuts how tough he is. Also, he FINALLY got Riley on the powerbomb! He just couldn't fucking help himself and had to run back and do it after hitting Sami. Amazing. He's so petty that even though he beat the shit out of the dude twice already and made his point, he wasn't going to stop trying until he nailed it. 

I am serious when I say that I truly believe they could build the big show around him being the heel champ right now and it would work just as well. Dude has an aura and nails his character down flat, plus his in-ring is awesome. I could watch him all day.

• Like 2

Bayley vs Dana was pretty good. I don't know which laugh was better Graves' when Enzo missed the cross body or Owens after the power bomb to Riley. Nice to see Corbin get some character development. Everything Owens/Zayn continues to be gold.

Kevin Owens rules. He's everything that can possibly be bad about a person. Tonight, we saw him:

1) Act dismissive of his boss for no real reason other than he can.

2) Hypocritically try and get out of a title defense against Sami.

3) Crack under the strain of Sami figuring out how to get to him -- revealing himself as motivated by jealousy and spite while hiding behind "fighting for my family" as his excuse.

4) Completely bury Alex Riley beyond all belief on commentary. Making fun of the whole dumb "rage as I'm in a cage" deal was amazing.

5) Treating the announce team like he was a cat with a toy. He wanted them to talk about him and then would make them talk about the match, all with a hint of glee in his voice that he loved knowing they were so scared of him he could make them dance at his order. That's just such a bully move -- enjoying the intimidation of people physically not able to stand up for themselves.

6) Bringing up being the paragon of a family man again. Because giving your wife and kids money is everything a father should be, as opposed to "making them proud" and "setting a good example" and "teaching values."

7) Blindsiding Sami the first chance he could just minutes after talking about wanting to watch a good match.

8) And then laughing his ass off when he finally got Riley. Like it was said before -- He really couldn't help himself and he just HAD to rub it in this guy's face that he could ruin his career. And, not just that, would sadistically enjoy seeing this guy scream in pain while standing over Sami's carcass.

A+. The guy is somehow playing a monster Vader-type heel, your traditional 80s villain bully, a jealous creep, a puppet master and a hypocrite in one fully realized package. He's the best.

• Like 3

I do not. Because I live in California, and in a small city where they have basically no competition outside of satellite, they don't just put Spanish channels in their packages, you have to sign up for the "Latino Entertainment Package". Again: Comcast/bastards.

Also, stupid bastards, because most of the Spanish speakers just go with satellite.

Generally if you call Comcast and say I'm thinking of leaving you for fill in the blank depending on the region where you live they will lower your bill and give you more channels to stay with them.

I can't speak for Comcast, but TWC is pretty much abandoning this practice.  From everything I've heard, I'm glad Comcast is abandoning the merger though.

They haven't abandoned this practice.  You just have to fight harder for it.

(Live in the same area you do, and got a small bit off a couple of weeks ago)

Dana looked WAY better this week. Seems like having two months off to focus on the tape of her debut match and figure out what did and didn't work before working another live match really helped hone her character some more. She cut down on all the annoying bits from her debut match and focused more on what did work. Plus, she didn't completely dominate the veteran in Bailey, and Bailey was on her way to winning the match before Emma's distraction

Did anybody else feel like Owens has put on some more belly weight since his debut? I thought he looked pretty great in his debut up to the last set of tapings in February, but seems like he may have let himself go a little in the last two months. He's obviously never been a super in shape guy, but it seemed like his belly was a little bigger than it used to be a couple months ago. I'd think he'd need to get that under control a bit more before he makes his main roster debut.

Other than that, LOVED everything involving Owens this week, and LOVED Zayn rubbing it in his face that everything Owen's has accomplished has Zayn's name next to it. Great way to bait him. Looking forward to the rematch, and I can't really predict how that ends at all. I can certainly see an inconclusive finish leading to part III where Zayn finally gets the belt back, but how do we get there? That's what I love about this show. There are several logical ways to take the story, but it's certainly not predictable.

Haven't read any spoilers for the next couple of weeks, but it looks like we're getting this card for the next Takeover special

Zayn v Owens - NXT Title

Enzo/Cass v Blake/Murphy - Tag Titles

Becky Lynch v Sasha - Women's Title

Bailey v Emma

Rhino v Baron Corbin

Finn Balor v Hideo Itami v Tyler Breeze - #1 contender's match

Pretty solid line-up. Can't wait.

Did anybody else feel like Owens has put on some more belly weight since his debut? I thought he looked pretty great in his debut up to the last set of tapings in February, but seems like he may have let himself go a little in the last two months. He's obviously never been a super in shape guy, but it seemed like his belly was a little bigger than it used to be a couple months ago. I'd think he'd need to get that under control a bit more before he makes his main roster debut.

I'm pretty sure the knee injury has a lot to do with it.

I don't see Zayn getting the belt back he needs to be moved to the main roster as soon as the Owens feud is over. Maybe he can put over Breeze on the way out. I would guess Itami gets the title shot after Owens/Zayn is done. Seeing Neville work a couple matches per week against good opponents just makes me realize how lame it is we only get about one Sami Zayn match per month in NXT. The guy is beyond ready, and I think he's turned into the best babyface promo in the company(Cena can hit levels no one else can, but he's been way too inconsistent, repetitive and pandering for me).

I don't think there's ever been a character that I went from "hate this guy" to "pretty big fan" as much as Enzo Amore.  This guy gets it.  He does so many of the little things right and seems so natural in the character.  He doesn't look like he's playing wrestler at all.  Looking forward to chanting along with him live some day.

Speaking of natural...totally agree with Zayn as best face promo.  He and Owens were both on in that opening promo.  I hope they don't add any stips to the match as I'd like to see them go straight up again.

The women's division is terrific.  I was watching last night thinking to myself that I had at least something of an investment in each of the full time women that I saw last night and then realized I didn't even see Sasha or Charlotte.  None of them are crazy divas and all of them are at least athletic. They all have or are developing interesting characters.  The division has remained strong.

In conclusion, I love NXT.

I really enjoyed the episode.  I agree that Sami needs to be called up immediately, but I also love his feud with Owens.  It's that grudge feud they wish they had on the main roster.  And Dana was much better this time around with the "less is more" approach.  And Riley's popularity with some fans is still puzzling as he doesn't have much of anything going for him.  The "RAAAAAAGGGEEEEE!!!!" vibe would have been kind of okay with me ten years ago, but certainly not now.  If he's so full of rage his offense should at least reflect that, but he can't even do that.

The thing about Sami needing to be moved up after this feud is that this is such a blood feud, I don't see how they can coexist in NXT once the feud is over (or how the feud could end of they're both there.)

Ideally, there would be enough synergy between NXT and Raw that Owens wins the feud having never lost to Sami, Sami moves up, and in a year or so, they re-run the angle with Owens debuting by attacking Sami after he wins the IC belt.

• Like 1

That's the same thought I had. They acknowledge their history and obviously they both have bright futures. Why not save the biggest blow off for the main roster? Zayn/Owens 4 at Wrestlemania 35 or the like.

Although that would require the whole company thinking long term which doesn't seem all that likely right now.

Yeah, Jonny's idea is awesome, but it would take two things to work:

1. Zayn needs to be booked to be important and good and a rising star.

2. The IC title needs to be booked to be important and something to be vied for (like, you know, the NXT title is booked). 

I have zero confidence that Vince McMahon and his writing team can establish both of those things. Heck, I can make an argument that the NXT Women's Championship means roughly as much as the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (in terms of just how they are booked, not in terms of how they are presented by the company), so clearly there is a steep dropoff in booking that I can't see Vince McMahon rectifying soon enough to make the idea work.