DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Full Sail is the best crowd in wrestling. Maybe ever.

Someone praised the "Father Of The Year" chant, for example - fuck that. How did that help Owens get over as a heel or move the storyline along? It's just some asshole in the crowd trying to be funny.

Well, I don't really understand your thinking. The crowd isn't responsible for getting Owens over as a heel or moving the storyline along. The writers and performers are responsible for that.

It wasn't some brilliant crowd performance, but it was funny, and it showed that Owens was over as a heel to some degree because 1) the crowd used his constant "Family Man" heel bullshit against him after 2) he had done a heelish thing (destroyed Zayn, ran from Joe).

Where you got the idea that Full Sail is responsible for getting people over themselves, I don't know. It was just a funny little chant that was a character-specific way of chanting that Owens was a liar and a coward. 

• Like 2

Well, I don't really understand your thinking. The crowd isn't responsible for getting Owens over as a heel or moving the storyline along. The writers and performers are responsible for that.

It wasn't some brilliant crowd performance, but it was funny, and it showed that Owens was over as a heel to some degree because 1) the crowd used his constant "Family Man" heel bullshit against him after 2) he had done a heelish thing (destroyed Zayn, ran from Joe).

Where you got the idea that Full Sail is responsible for getting people over themselves, I don't know. It was just a funny little chant that was a character-specific way of chanting that Owens was a liar and a coward. 

The impression I got from the chant was that the fans were doing the smarky thing and cheering heel Owens (as they have been since his turn). I didn't get the impression that they were taunting him at all.

You're right that it's the writers and performers that are responsible for getting themselves over - and if there's an uncooperative crowd that would rather chant funny stuff than respect the performers, it makes their job much harder.

I took it that the crowd was mocking the whole "Family Man" justification KO used for being human garbage. That is pretty awesome.

I am also all-in on booing the hell out of Eva Marie. I just saw two years of Bayley/Sasha/ Charlotte/Becky/Paige/Emma. I also like Carmella and Dana even though they are clearly green. Eva is terrible still.

I'm still confused why Enzo and Cass didn't get the title match (and title switch) for the Brooklyn Takeover show. Seemed like the most obvious thing they could have booked.

Yeah, I don't get it etiher. The only way that makes sense is if they're about to get the call up....But then, I don't think that makes the best sense.

As much as you can see them improving with each new set of tapings, especially Cass (even though I hate when he comes in throwing those limp-wristed punches off a hot tag*), they are still SO not ready to be working longer matches on the main shows week in and week out. Right now, I think they'd get chewed up and spit out by the main roster pretty quickly.

*I realize this is a very DVDVR thing to complain about, but he's the only dude on Earth who connects with a punch with his hand behind his shoulder.

When the territories would tape all of their TV in the same small TV studio, did the crowds ever become like the NXT/TNA crowds? I mean, I assume that taping in front of the same audience does create a weird dynamic.

Maybe some of the Techwood folks in Crockett WCW era: the guys who showed up in suits to cheer the four horsemen.

Also maybe the Front Row, Section D guys, but they generally were just at house shows and later ppvs.

On the other hand, the chivalry chant is the best ever.

The NO MEANS NO chant, directed at Blake and Murphy when they were sleazing at Carmella, is up there.

Oh man, I forgot about that one. That was aces.

Just a thought: Regal turns heel in support of the OneTrueVillain Kevin Owens. I know heel GMing is not what we want, but that might be the point.

Worst case scenario imo. I love Regal as GM but I don't want him getting involved in feuds enough to cost someone a belt because you're setting up a match that you can't possibly payoff. Him turning heel on Balor is incredibly problematic in a lot of aspects.

Honestly, I took that "Father of the Year" chant as nothing more than the crowd trying to be clever, just like 90% of anything they do.  They aren't even in the same league as post-Mania Raw crowds when it comes to be annoying twats, but if you don't think they are trying to get themselves over, you're kidding yourself.

• Like 2

Honestly I despise modern american wrestling crowds altogether. What's with this need to chant stupid shit every five seconds? How about shutting up for a little or, if you're SO overzealous you just have to make some kind of noise, why not just chant the name of the wrestler you like? Not to mention how stupid most of the chants are. "this is awesome"-great, you, a fan of wrestling, attending a wrestling show, think wrestling is awesome. Never would have guessed. "this is wrestling"-how is this even a thing? yes, what you are watching is in fact wrestling. What's your point? When the indy crowd chants este es lucha towards Satanico and Blue Panther doing sublime matwork they are sending a message to the youth they need to stop watching puro shows and spamming so many flips and learn some holds. What message exactly does "this is wrestling" send except "I want to be important?".

• Like 2

Kevin Owens saved this Wednesday's show with a great promo. Most of the other promos were garbage (PROMO 101: never call your opponent's losers, but at least two people did), and a lot of the wrestling was just...ugh. 

And what the hell did NXT fans do to deserve a Carmella/Eva Marie match next week? That's cruel and unusual punishment.

• Like 2

Full Sail is the best crowd in wrestling. Maybe ever.

The crowd cheers for good guys and boos bad guys.

They most certainly do not. Kevin Owens is a bad guy. There is not one redeeming quality about him, yet they cheer him unless he is wrestling Sami Zayn. Tyler Breeze is an arrogant heel, yet he gets plenty of love from the Full Sail crowd.

Carmella was getting booed for awhile. Bo Dallas got booed. Baron Corbin got booed. Eva Marie got booed. The Full Sail crowd is not alone in this, (ie: The Lucha Underground temple cheering ultra heel Pentagon Jr) but you can't use it as one of your talking points.

• Like 1

I really hate the fucking announcers

I am trying to catch up on NXT for tonight and I agree that the commentating has becomes completely unbearable.   Most of these shows have turned into Bryon Saxton into how much of a dork he is and Corey Graves doing an awful JBL impersonation spending most of the time ragging on Saxton.   

The NXT commentators were the only bright spots on the WWE commentating garbage but apparently someone told them they have to be copy cats and it is has devolved drastically.   I know part of it was the loss of Regal but I really think that Tom Phillips was much better than people give him credit.

I am not sure if it is a good thing but I can't get Samoa Joe's new entrance music out of my head.  Maybe because it is the just the same beat about 100 times

Loved the Bull Dempsey segments.  I was so worried that they were going to turn him into NXT version of Greg Excellent (CZW reference)

I have hated the NXT fans at Full Sail for a while but hasn't it already been determined that majority of the problem cases were ex TNA fans who stopped going to IMPACT tapings.   You know the ones that apparently go in groups with matching T shirts and gimmick names.   The biggest problem I have is that the loudest group of them went from helping the company to putting themselves over. I mean it isn't as bad as people doing JBL and Jerry Lawler chants in the middle of matches but I am sure if someone would tell them it would "get them over" they would do it

Honestly I despise modern american wrestling crowds altogether. What's with this need to chant stupid shit every five seconds? How about shutting up for a little or, if you're SO overzealous you just have to make some kind of noise, why not just chant the name of the wrestler you like? Not to mention how stupid most of the chants are. "this is awesome"-great, you, a fan of wrestling, attending a wrestling show, think wrestling is awesome. Never would have guessed. "this is wrestling"-how is this even a thing? yes, what you are watching is in fact wrestling. What's your point? When the indy crowd chants este es lucha towards Satanico and Blue Panther doing sublime matwork they are sending a message to the youth they need to stop watching puro shows and spamming so many flips and learn some holds. What message exactly does "this is wrestling" send except "I want to be important?".

I mostly agree with you, but serious question: Wouldn't "This is wrestling" send the same message about whatever the crowd is watching? Though whenever it gets used, it's for the sort of flippy stuff that the "Este es lucha" crowd is apparently against, at least usually. 

I hate that chant, though. If you like what you're watching, just, you know, cheer for or boo the guys wrestling. Take those GAB crowds I mentioned. They saw something cool and really got into it vocally without some dumbshit "This is wrestling" chant. Their palpable excitement, oohs, and aahs were the best way to get over that they liked what they saw. 

If we were discussing ROH shows from 2006 I might agree with your point. In WWE it's more of a byproduct of having "pregnant pauses" after every even remotely big spot and the crowd trying to keep themselves entertained during them than any kind of message-sending.