DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

One of my favorite things about NXT is the way that they build people up and down the cards. 

Emma and Dana Brooke had to be a reasonable challenge for Sasha and Charlotte, so they had a few weeks of individual wins against Bayley, Blue Pants and Carmella. Then they got fed to Charlotte/Sasha to set up the match the two of them had. When Bayley came back from injury and it was time for her to get the push, she went over Emma and then Charlotte and then Becky. Clear progression. 

They do it with the tag teams too. 

It's something so simple and it's a luxury of having a 1 hour long studio show relative to 5 hours of TV a week, but it makes a huge difference. 

Up on Raw if Bayley was going to go up against Sasha at a big show, they'd trade wins fifteen times in a tag matches or something. 

I think it goes back further than that, as you have guys like Corbin or Dempsey working as enhancement talent, getting moments in various matches to shine. There was a battle royal a while back that Corbin got a decent push in, prior to his "debut", and of course Blake and Murphy got the title win out of no where as well.  Given the nature of NXT as a known training place, it makes sense when people finally start to put it together and start winning matches.

I think Raw could use a little more of that.  Why is Mark Henry basically a JTTS now?  Have the commentators talk about his peak with the Hall of Pain and how's he's aging, has thought about retirement, but he's trying to prove he still has it.  Jack Swagger is trying to prove his title win, which came through a MITB cash in wasn't a fluke.  When they start pushing someone out of the blue, talk about how they've spent time at the performance center, etc...

We are going to get Becky trying to break Corey's arm at some point right? She seems to be the only person he is a heel towards or will the honorable Finn Balor stick up for his close personal friend and confront Corey over the disrespect.

Corey treats Becky on commentary like Ventura treated Hogan on commentary there has to be some payoff. He can take an armbar and/or a stomp off the top rope right?

I don't know if she's being instructed to do it because of her push to the top, but Bayley's selling has been crap during her comebacks. She completely blew off all the work Emma did on her hand, and Becky spent the entire match working on Bayley's arm only for it to have no effect whatsoever during Bayley's run of offense. The announcers kept saying how Bayley was fighting through tremendous amounts of pain while she was looking completely fine.

What's the deal with no Cass and Enzo match announced? Are they getting the call for Summer Slam or Raw the night after? They are the most over act in NXT, and this is the biggest show in NXT history, and they aren't in one of the top 6 matches? I'm expecting Blue Pants to be the one the Vaudevillians bring out.

Joe laying out Corbin probably means he jobs at Takeover. I don't imagine that will go over well in front of that audience. My money is on an Itami heel turn after Balor retains. If they don't have a big angle like that lined up I could see Sasha/Bayley headlining. Also Mojo is the worst ever I mean the fucking worst.

Bayley was great in the match against Becky! She sold it very well. Anytime she had to use that arm was in an adrenaline rush scenario and she sold the pain afterwards. She really sold Becky doing some arm drop "rip the socket out" very well -- that's when the hurty jumped up a bunch of notches. She was in the Disarmer for like two seconds before she got out of it, so it's not like that would be a death move. The damage to the arm in the Sasha match was of a higher magnitude so Sasha sold it more. Bayley's arm wasn't worked over as much and she sold it to an appropriate level.

Well we'll know more about Enzo and Cass after tonight since they're taping the go home show tonight. But the rumor going around was Enzo and Cass were going to debut at SummerSlam taking on the tag champs whoever they are after the fatal four way match.

Also I think Joe goes over in Brooklyn because Breeze is going to go over Liger and they don't want the crowd to be that upset with two of the finishes. A Joe win allows Corbin and Joe to have an extended feud while the Breeze win allows him to step into a feud with Balor for the belt (unless Itami is healthy enough to attack the one who took him out)

She was in the Disarmer for 10 seconds(not forever but still enough to do damage on a weakened arm) and her first move after that was a suplex where she showed no signs of her arm being hurt. I liked it a little better on second watch, but Bayley could've added more to it with better selling down the stretch. It may seem nitpicky, but that's just how I felt watching it. Still a real good match, and I hope Sasha and Bayley steal the  show as it's my most anticipated match for Summer Slam weekend (with Liger/Breeze being second).

I expect Breeze to get a big babyface reaction so I don't think they'll have to worry about him going over upsetting the fans. I didn't know they were taping another show before Takeover. Cass and Enzo vs New Day would pretty much be the greatest thing ever.

Bayley and Becky was great fun.

The crowd LOATHES Corbin.

I LOATHE Mojo Rawley.

I can't wait for Brooklyn. What a great card they have lined up.

NXT makes my wrestling pants feel funny in the front part.

Some weird stuff went down at the tapings tonight. They taped three shows but I'm not sure what is airing. I know they are taping a show after Takeover next Saturday. I guess that will air on 8/26.  It will all probably air but still weird. The go home show for Takeover is really good.

Go home show:

Bayley/Sasha contract signing. Sasha cuts a great promo on Bayley saying she's not good enough. Bayley attacks her afterwards to a big pop

Breeze beat Rob Ryzin. Breeze now has a cape that is made out of the same stuff as his boots. He was carrying a Liger Mask and put it on Ryzin after the match.

Enzo/Big Cas and the Hype Bros beat Jesse Sorrenson/Mr. 450, Aaron Solo and some other guy. Very fun match Enzo is so over. I hope they do a Enzo/Big Cas/Hype Bros vs Mechanics/Jordan/Gable at takeover.

Joe beat Steve Cutler. Baron Corbin attacked Joe after the match and laid him out with the End of days.

Kevin Owens closed the show. I'm not sure this part will air but Owens just ripped into the crowd for booing the mention of Brooklyn. Called us the John Cena of wrestling crowds and total hypocrites. Nuclear heat for all this. Not Eva marie heat but close. Balor came out and they got into a brawl to end the go home show.

Second week

Sasha Banks beat Gionna Daddio. I felt so bad seeing Gionna out there. I think she's only had a handful of matches but she was botching moves right and left. The crowd was just on her case all match but she made up for it with a nice jumping crossbody. Sasha had the title with her and this should air after Takeover.

Rhyno/Baron Corbin beat the Ascension. Ascension were over huge with the crowd. Corbin got disqualified for beating down on the Ascension on the outside too much. Not sure if that was planned or not as Konnor looked stunned. Regal restarted the match and Rhyno won with the gore.

Alexa Bliss beat Blue Pants. I think the love affair between the crowd and Blue pants is over. Alexa is such a natural as a heel.

Apollo Crews beat Martin Stone

Eva Marie beat Billie Kaye. This was awful and all on Eva. She forgot to kick out so the ref had to pretend that she did. Crowd went insane with bullshit chants and were on Eva's case afterwards. I'm hoping that was planned for Total divas. A "cameron pins diva on stomach" moment.

Jason Jordan and Chad Gable beat Neville and Crowe. Best match of the night. Gable is so so good for a guy with his experience. Great ring presence and he's brought a lot out of Jordan. Neville got a hero's welcome and looked generally touched at the pop he got.

Week 3

Carmella beat Peyton Royce. Royce came out to the NXT season 3 theme which got a big pop out of me.

Johnny Gargano and Tomaso Ciampa beat Bull Dempsey and Breeze. Stunning result. Ciampa slapped the ever living crap out of Breeze and it knocked Breeze loopy for a while. Breeze distracted Bull and Gargano got the win.  He was really over with the crowd.

Dana Brooke beat Billie Kay

Main event. Neville beat Kevin Owens by dq. Owens had the NXT title with him. I don't even know what that's about. Good match till the dq. Breeze came out to help Owens then Balor ran out.

Fun show overall. Very squash match heavy but I'm a fan of those. Next tapings is 9/10

Why did they give Tye Dillinger the gimmick that should have belonged to Curtis Axel from day one?

So glad I wasn't the only one thinking this when I saw it. I'm not terribly high on Curtis Axel, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him when I saw Dillnger using the one gimmick that probably could have really worked out for Axel.

Can Tucker and Drew replace Brennan and Saxton?

"No, a mechanical koala!

"Mega Wedgie Drop!"

"More like Cry Dillinger!"

But the part where Graves asked if they watched Rocko's Modern Life and they were like "No, you're old!" was :(

• Like 2