DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

It's not *that* surprising that people wouldn't know who Liger is. NXT fans aren't necessarily puro fans, and his only exposure to a national audience in the US is those few short runs/appearances in WCW in the 90's.

BTW - Outside from the Liger thing

The thing that has me most excited from the tapings is that the yet again are teasing

Owens vs. Regal

• Like 2

It's like someone who started watching post-Attitude era saying "Who's Harley Race?" A little different in that Liger's never stopped wrestling, but it makes sense that someone wouldn't know who he is, or why this is kind of a big deal.

With NJPW burning the candle at both ends, it's seriously making me wonder if ROH might not say "screw it" and push up the start time for their show so fans can make both events. That would make for two amazing crowds instead of two half-ish houses.

Also guessing this leads to Liger getting into the HOF.

It's like someone who started watching post-Attitude era saying "Who's Harley Race?" A little different in that Liger's never stopped wrestling, but it makes sense that someone wouldn't know who he is, or why this is kind of a big deal.

My first exposure to Harley Race was as a Survivor Series teammate of Andre the Giant, Mr Perfect etc. I remember wondering aloud "This guy is king?!" Ah, the naivety of youth.

There are WWE superfans on this very board who will tell you they never watched a KENTA match or a Kevin Steen match or a Prince Devitt match before they were signed. So yeah, it's not surprising the NXT crowd only knows who is put in front of them.

Though to be fair - there is a difference of "never watching a match" and "not knowing them"

Like most folks on this board I think would at least know say KENTA or Devitt's name.

However - yeah - I don't expect a group of college age students who only watched the WWE during the Attitude era to know Liger.

Even with NJPW gaining popularity here, it's still the same that it's always been with puro.  Fans here will cherry pick the matches with the big names.  10+ years ago, they were only watching KENTA, Marufuji, and Kobashi.  Now they are checking out Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi.  They aren't slogging through a 4 hour show and watching Liger in a meaningless 10 man tag.  So yeah, I kinda get how they wouldn't know him.  Same reason a ROH fan 10 years ago couldn't pick Kishin Kawabata out of a lineup.

Even with NJPW gaining popularity here, it's still the same that it's always been with puro.  Fans here will cherry pick the matches with the big names.  10+ years ago, they were only watching KENTA, Marufuji, and Kobashi.  Now they are checking out Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi.  They aren't slogging through a 4 hour show and watching Liger in a meaningless 10 man tag.  So yeah, I kinda get how they wouldn't know him.  Same reason a ROH fan 10 years ago couldn't pick Kishin Kawabata out of a lineup.

And thank god for that.  I mean, how else could we feel superior to casual fans if they were somehow able to identify NJPW 2nd match guy #3?

• Like 2

Though to be fair - there is a difference of "never watching a match" and "not knowing them"

Like most folks on this board I think would at least know say KENTA or Devitt's name.

However - yeah - I don't expect a group of college age students who only watched the WWE during the Attitude era to know Liger.

How quickly everyone forgets the Tequila On A Pole match...

Went to a mini-show put on by Harley's WLW promotion a few evenings ago and found myself briefly chatting with Harley after the show.  He gets around with a walker nowadays, but he still did a spot at the end where he decked Trevor Murdoch.  Spent most of the conversation wondering to myself "What do you say to HARLEY RACE?"

Went to a mini-show put on by Harley's WLW promotion a few evenings ago and found myself briefly chatting with Harley after the show.  He gets around with a walker nowadays, but he still did a spot at the end where he decked Trevor Murdoch.  Spent most of the conversation wondering to myself "What do you say to HARLEY RACE?"

Open with, "your Majesty..."

I'm jealous. He's one of those guys on my list of "famous people I'd actually like to talk to." I've met famous people who I couldn't give two shits about and even less AFTER meeting them so I don't get start struck real easily. Harley would be a different story.

I'm guessing Liger/Breeze starts the show and Baron Corbin's match gets slotted between the women and the NXT Championship match. 

I want the woman's match last. This is a goodbye to The Four Horsewomen. They have made NXT so incredibly special. That isn't to say that KO et al aren't great. They are. But mainstream wrestling fans have never had anything like this.

So, was Meltzer hinting that there's some sort of working relationship brewing between NXT and ROH?

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The benefits for ROH are obvious, and I don't imagine it'd hurt WWE any if some of the vets like Joe and Rhyno are free to go make an ROH payday when they're not working NXT dates. It'd make NXT a more attractive option for people WWE might want an option on, but don't want to commit to paying full-time.

I finally got around to watching NXT this week, I didn't realize it was relatively easy to stream, thought I'd have to go download/torrent it neither of which sounded particularly tempting to me.

-Samoa Joe has awful music.  Like it starts out good, but the middle part sounds like a 'Select-Your-Wrestler' screen from an N64 wrestling video game.  Match was so-so.  I really wanna be excited for Joe in NXT but it's just sorta "Ehhh".  The German guy didn't look bad.

-I feel bad for Eva Marie because she's apparently trying to improve and she will have nuclear heat and is trying to play into it but you can tell she just can't.  Her voice is not nearly strong enough to talk to the crowd, she has no confidence in it.

-Blake/Murphy vs guys was pretty fun.  I like the guy who looked like Damien Sandow's brother who calls himself a drifter and apparently has business cards with his name and 'Drifter' on it.  He should be signed right away just because of that.  Have they ever given Blake or Murphy last names...or first names.  If not, I vote for them being known as Blake Murphy and Murphy Blake.  That move with Alundra Blaze (I just remembered that's not her name, but I'm not deleting it) afterwards was really great.  Personally, I'd make the other guy dye his hair blonde and have them all blonde.

-Women's match was great, though I was disappointed that Charlotte's weave just kind of came off, wasn't ripped off during a heated brawl.