DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I don't think about it much, but everytime Kevin Dunn is brought up I think "Why is that piss stain not fired yet?" then proceed to hope for a situation where they have no choice but to let him go.  He always seems like the worst offender, even with Vince being seen as out of touch.

According to Cornette something Dunn's father did earned him a job for life.

This sounds like some John Wick shit.  Did Dunn senior murder Vince's competition to pave WWF's rise to prominence?

Someone really needs to go through the history of the NXT women and look at the steps of when it started getting good. I really don't want to do this but I see it happening.

I think it really began with Paige vs. Emma at NXT Arrival.

Sami is what Ricky Steamboat was 30 years ago, what Sting was 20 years ago and what Rey Mysterio was 10 years ago: He is the best pure babyface in the company and additionally to his credit, he's the one guy that doing the nice guy act works for in 2015 because he is able to connect with the audience by talking to them, not at them.

And tonight, he talked TO the audience and it worked.

Yeah and I would say it's much harder to be a pure babyface, and get over in this day and age. Sami absolutely smokes those guys on the mic though. He's my favorite face promo in wrestling right now with the perfect mix of sympathy, humor, and fire.

I don't think about it much, but everytime Kevin Dunn is brought up I think "Why is that piss stain not fired yet?" then proceed to hope for a situation where they have no choice but to let him go.  He always seems like the worst offender, even with Vince being seen as out of touch.

According to Cornette something Dunn's father did earned him a job for life.

This sounds like some John Wick shit.  Did Dunn senior murder Vince's competition to pave WWF's rise to prominence?

The story is Kevin Dunn's dad was driving home with all the tapes from the TV tapings done that week, the car ended up catching fire and Kevin Dunn's daddy went into the flaming car to retrieve the tapes, saving Vince Sr's TV time for the next few months.

Look, I'm a fairly tough guy. I'll dive into a burning car if it will get that dildo fired. All I ask is a Barry Windham comp from the DVDVR collective.

• Like 8

Has Goodhelmet done a Barry comp? Sounds like something he would have already been up to.

If I'm correct, he has. Thus, "my burning car to terminate the dildo" payment is there waiting for me.

Someone really needs to go through the history of the NXT women and look at the steps of when it started getting good. I really don't want to do this but I see it happening.

I think it really began with Paige vs. Emma at NXT Arrival.

There are all sorts of things before that, though. It isn't just in-ring. It's also the little character moments. Summer Rae wasn't that great in the ring, but she was really awesome playing the man girl role with some great "I won't even look at you, let alone sleep with you" faces. And she had Sasha look into the Lord Of The Rings Mirror, which starter her ascent to "best in the world" status. And then there were all these other moments like Emma breaking out her dance and becoming a lovable ditz, Bayley's hugs and the like, Sasha's epic pre-show harassment of the NXT crew where she truly became THE BOSS, the Paige/Santino vs. Summer/Fandango comedy classic, etc.

I'm going to start this at some point. But the Paige/Emma match to crown the first champion was really good.

I'm not sure they're headed in the right direction with Eva Marie. Believe it or not, I don't think she screams natural heel. Based on what I've seen from her Total Divas persona, she acutally seems like a genuinely sweet person deep down, even if she's a bit oblivious at times and makes head-scratching life choices. She's not a very good actress, but one emotion she's pretty good at conveying is being hurt because she has no idea why people wouldn't support her. Of course the crowd's gonna boo her, so you have to work with that, but I think going straight antagonist heel right off the bat with her is a bit lazy and doesn't play to her (thus far limited) strengths. She has "heel who thinks she's a face" written all over her.

That worked for Raven, though.  "What about me? What about Raven?"

I've been in on Gable since the Breeze match.

Really want to see Dawkins/Fulton get something to do.  They've got good size and ability, but right now they're in the same gimmick as Jordan/Gable.  Maybe they need a manager?

• Like 1

Rumblingz~ were that Dawkins and Fulton were going to join up with Gable and Jordan and do a Team Angle-style stable, at least as of a few months ago. I'm hoping that's still going to happen over the next couple of weeks.

Gable was awesome. So smooth on the mat, great goofy personality. Looks like a star. 

In re: to the women's division and when it "started" - I think whoever said the Paige/Emma Finals of the Women's Title Tournament got it right.

It's hard to go too much further back that that because you start to get into FCW territory and the women were definitely not doing there what they are now (or at least not given the time to do so)

Plus the Title tournament was presented as a big deal and they went out of their way to call it the "women's title" as opposed to 'diva"

What happens when the tag champs split up? Is he really gonna wrestle as "Blake"?

They will be known as Blake and Murphy #1 and Blake and Murphy #2.

They'll get a new look, too:

dr_seuss_cat_in_hat_thing_1_thing_2_mach

• Like 4

Oh god, Tim Wiese, former goalkeeper of the German national soccer team was actually at the perfomce center for a tryout this week.

I thought both parties would have realized by now this whole thing is ridiculous, but it seems they're actually going ahead with this.

CKDRvAaVAAAJ6uv.jpg

What happens when the tag champs split up? Is he really gonna wrestle as "Blake"?

They will be known as Blake and Murphy #1 and Blake and Murphy #2.

Maybe they can feud over the rights to the name, and the winner can get called up to the main roster stay in NXT for life as "Blake Murphy".

The loser will be released and go to TNA, where Mike Tenay will scream "We know who that is!  It's Murphy Blake!!"

• Like 1

In re: to the women's division and when it "started" - I think whoever said the Paige/Emma Finals of the Women's Title Tournament got it right.

It's hard to go too much further back that that because you start to get into FCW territory and the women were definitely not doing there what they are now (or at least not given the time to do so)

Plus the Title tournament was presented as a big deal and they went out of their way to call it the "women's title" as opposed to 'diva"

I'd say the starting point would be around the time Emma got over.  It seems from that point forward, they started giving the women more gimmicks (Bayley & Sasha Banks for example) and more storylines leading up to the Title Tournament.

Yeah, Gable could be the real deal. Seems way ahead of the other WWE products.

Jordan seems to get it too, but Gable seems like the one with the upside. Really love the way they have handled them so far.

• Like 1

NXT WOMAN'S DIVISION EVOLUTION

So, what was the first woman's match in the current incarnation of NXT?

It starts the JULY 4, 2012 episode and it's SOFIA CORTEZ (now in Lucha Underground) against Paige. Things to note: Paige has no entrance and is in the ring when the match begins and Full Sail is like 75% full. And Jim Ross is on commentary. It's about three minutes long and not bad at all. It's better than an insane amount of awful divas matches we've seen throughout the years. Cortez controls most of the match. Paige's main move in this is "slap the hell out of her mouth" and Cortez's counter is "kick her in the face." Cortez wins with some wheelbarrow DDT thing that is very, very indie. But this wasn't bad, despite neither girl having any character or backstory and just going out to wrestle for three minutes.

JULY 18, 2012 is the first NXT to have two women's matches. The first is Kaitlyn vs. Tamina. The second match is RAQUEL DIAZ (Shaul Guerrero) against Paige. Raquel gets the first video package of any of the females, and has a whole snotty party girl/princess bit with her "exfoliating ugliness tour." She starts the match by coming down to the ring with a mic spot.She's using a Madonna-type headset. Her delivery is great. Paige comes out with something vaguely like her theme music and does her primal scream. And... well, the crowd starts chanting her name. The match is like two minutes long and isn't bad. Paige still doesn't have anything more than "clothesline" and "kick" at this point. But she does a good job playing to the crowd and getting them behind her. She comes off as being serious and all-business. Diaz does a lot of fun coward/cheap shot artist stuff. She wins with a Gory Special-type move. It's a shame Shaul has her health issues (she suffers from an eating disorder, I believe?) because she had a ton of potential and could definitely play a character, at least. I can see why they would give her a video package and try to introduce her.

SEPTEMBER 19, 2012 is Paige's first win in the current format, beating Alicia Fox. Paige is somehow super over with the crowd despite getting no mic time and jobbing twice. But she just has a real gift for connecting with the crowd and knowing how to interact with them. Kudos to whoever it was who caught that in her this early and realized she was someone to build a division around. This match is eh, especially when Alicia is in control. But Paige has good strikes. And the ending is disjointed but a sign of things to come, as Paige uses some roll-up thing to hit The Ram Paige DDT thing. These types of moves -- multi-step moves and counters -- are pretty common among the Four Horsewomen. But this stood out to me, here. This was a pretty evolutionary step right here, as someone they weren't pushing right away (Raquel Diaz was getting the early push) connected and they started to run with it. And, in response, she tried to work tight and snug. The crispness is still a ways away.

SEPTEMBER 26, 2012 is Paige's first video package. Nothing too much, but just shows she's a serious fighter. Good way to establish her character.

NOVEMBER 28, 2012 is EMMA's debut! She jobs in a really awful match to Audrey Marie. Audrey Marie had some sort of modern country fan character. She had a little beef with Paige going on over a whole "misplaced tag team" thing they did in some match with Alicia Fox and another WWE diva. Like 50% of this match is spent in a body scissors. But it's really fun to see Emma in her debut. JR's commentary in this match is hilariously bad, too. "We know she has talent since the WWE signed her."

DECEMBER 12, 2012 is The debut of SASHA M'F BANKS! She's in the opening match against Paige, who is really over. And this is all on Paige, who just knows how to get the crowd to respond to her. What a gift. It's funny seeing Sasha as non-descript. She comes down like a babyface but has some heel stuff in here, including a pretty great slap and we see a little of her trash talk game. But this is almost all Paige. The match is heavy on roll-ups and things like that, before Paige wins with the Paige Turner. Nothing bad, but just there.

DECEMBER 26, 2012 is a "year-in-review" show. And there is nothing involving the women. This is really telling. NXT had half a year to find it's footing. They obviously concentrated on the men's division, with a lot of time being devoted to Seth Rollins, Kassius Ohno, Bray Wyatt, Bo Dallas and Jinder Mahal. Paige somehow managed to get a cult following just by basic crowd interaction. There was only one angle they ran-- Paige and Audrey had a "misplaced tag team" split that lasted for about one episode. They had a stumbling block with Shaul Guerrero's illness ruining that push. And there were multiple episodes in a row where there wasn't a woman's match.

In other words: The NXT Woman's Division doesn't really have any importance to it at all. There is nothing there, aside from throwing Paige and Audrey Marie in the ring for a few minutes.

It's absolutely insane to think that 18 months later, the NXT Woman's Division would become what it is.

• Like 1