DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Hopefully all these women being called up leaves Emma to rule over the NXT women's division.

There's still the chipmunk.

Only after Eva Marie's year long reign (as seen on next season's Total Divas).

Actually, it should be Bayley's turn to hold down the division until all the newer girls improve/get their proper gimmicks.

nofuture's right. The belt is Eva Marie's so she can be a champion on Total Divas. The story will be how she came back from a life-threatening situation to train hard, she was the most hated person in NXT so she's the top heel and she did everything so quickly that she rose to the top of NXT.

nofuture's right. The belt is Eva Marie's so she can be a champion on Total Divas. The story will be how she came back from a life-threatening situation to train hard, she was the most hated person in NXT so she's the top heel and she did everything so quickly that she rose to the top of NXT.

STOP! Someone is going to read this shit and they are going to tell someone else and before you know it, THIS IS REAL.

Y'all are setting yourselves up for failure.  A lot of the people in this thread are going to be trying to jump from tall heights after the October PPV has a Sasha-Becky Lynch match that's five minutes of hair pulling and slap fighting.

I'm hoping this turns out well.  Sasha and Becky are capable of a lot more than the main roster divas generally show, and Charlotte isn't far behind.  But... not optimistic.  The divas division from start to this point in time doesn't offer a lot of hope for optimism.  I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, but I'm thinking that even if the WWE transitions the divas division away from t and a and gives it a serious push, it will take years to gain traction.

• Like 1

They've been giving the women's division a pretty serious push (by WWE standards) for months now. I know most people (and I'm guilty of this too believe me) tend to x4 the women's matches on Raw, but they've been getting a lot more time week to week this year, and are definitely moving away from the "catfight" style and towards a "serious wrestling" style. Honestly, their biggest problem to this point hasn't been the effort, it's just lack of talent and depth. Bringing up the top women from NXT fixes that in a hurry. You're right that would take years to gain traction, but luckily AJ and Nikki have been doing what's likely to end up being some very thankless groundwork the last two years, and now Paige, Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky can come in and reap the benefits, which they are very suited to do given their ability.

If HHH and Steph are really backing this, it's got a pretty decent shot of working (See Rollins, Owens, etc).

Y'all are setting yourselves up for failure.  A lot of the people in this thread are going to be trying to jump from tall heights after the October PPV has a Sasha-Becky Lynch match that's five minutes of hair pulling and slap fighting.

I'm hoping this turns out well.  Sasha and Becky are capable of a lot more than the main roster divas generally show, and Charlotte isn't far behind.  But... not optimistic.  The divas division from start to this point in time don't give a lot of hope for optimism.  I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, but I'm thinking that even if the WWE transitions the divas division away from t and a and gives it a serious push, it will take years to gain traction.

This is pretty much exactly the way I see it. The "diva's paradigm" has been shitty matches between models and it's been that way for years. To expect the entire game to change over night because suddenly they introduce some great workers is wishful thinking at best. The same creative staff is behind the scenes. Same people pulling the strings, now they have new puppets.

If they are stay serious about pushing the women as serious wrestlers and keep upgrading the talent level in NXT, they can succeed.  But they're going to have to stay committed to that goal for the long haul, difficult to do in an era where pushes are dependent on last week's tv rating.  The audience for a WWE-ized Shimmer isn't going to appear overnight.  Even most longtime viewers don't expect much from the women; they remember Trish barking like a dog and Sable stripping on PPV.

I think giving Sasha or Becky a serious long-term push can pay off down the road, but I'm skeptical "down the road" is during Sasha or Becky's career.

Of course, the other part of the equation is talent.  WWE's done a lot better at signing fitness models who need some visibility like Kelly Kelly than they have career wrestlers

(Oh lord, for some reason I'm currently envisioning the ridiculous gimmicks they would give Aja Kong if they ever signed her.  Probably a fat-shaming gimmick,  maybe pairing her with a really skinny version of Santino.)

I'm hoping this turns out well.  Sasha and Becky are capable of a lot more than the main roster divas generally show, and Charlotte isn't far behind.  But... not optimistic.  The divas division from start to this point in time don't give a lot of hope for optimism.  I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, but I'm thinking that even if the WWE transitions the divas division away from t and a and gives it a serious push, it will take years to gain traction.

This is pretty much exactly the way I see it. The "diva's paradigm" has been shitty matches between models and it's been that way for years. To expect the entire game to change over night because suddenly they introduce some great workers is wishful thinking at best. The same creative staff is behind the scenes. Same people pulling the strings, now they have new puppets.

Yeah, but this is already getting a lot of visibility in social media and the like.  If they suddenly reverse course and make them all crazy chicks fighting over boyfriends, they'll lose whatever newfound respect/attention they've earned.

If they are stay serious about pushing the women as serious wrestlers and keep upgrading the talent level in NXT, they can succeed.  But they're going to have to stay committed to that goal for the long haul, difficult to do in an era where pushes are dependent on last week's tv rating.  The audience for a WWE-ized Shimmer isn't going to appear overnight.  Even most longtime viewers don't expect much from the women; they remember Trish barking like a dog and Sable stripping on PPV.

I think giving Sasha or Becky a serious long-term push can pay off down the road, but I'm skeptical "down the road" is during Sasha or Becky's career.

Of course, the other part of the equation is talent.  WWE's done a lot better at signing fitness models who need some visibility like Kelly Kelly than they have career wrestlers

(Oh lord, for some reason I'm currently envisioning the ridiculous gimmicks they would give Aja Kong if they ever signed her.  Probably a fat-shaming gimmick,  maybe pairing her with a really skinny version of Santino.)

I kinda feel like you've come through a wormhole from 2008.

The women's division hasn't looked anything like that the past year plus. They've already been doing all the things you say they need to do. They've been loading up NXT with talent and quality training and they've been slowly conditioning the viewers for longer, more serious women's matches on tv. The WWE-ized Shimmer fanbase is called NXT, and it's grown immensly in the last year and a half. You seem to think that it's Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha that will be starting the unappreciated groundwork for the next generation, but I'd argue AJ, Nikki, and Paige have already done a lot of the unappreciated groundwork and Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha will be the generation that gets to reap the benefits. The only thing I'm worried about writing-wise is Vince, but the rest of the goofs on the writing staff still have to answer to HHH or Steph, who I'm guessing will be a lot more involved in the creative side of things for the women than they were in the Piggy James days or whatever.

I'd think you'd also be surprised how many current WWE fans weren't even born when Trish was barking like a dog. That shit was almost 15 years ago.

The women's division hasn't looked anything like that the past year plus. They've already been doing all the things you say they need to do. They've been loading up NXT with talent and quality training and they've been slowly conditioning the viewers for longer, more serious women's matches on tv. The WWE-ized Shimmer fanbase is called NXT, and it's grown immensly in the last year and a half. You seem to think that it's Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha that will be starting the unappreciated groundwork for the next generation, but I'd argue AJ, Nikki, and Paige have already done a lot of the unappreciated groundwork and Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha will be the generation that gets to reap the benefits. The only thing I'm worried about writing-wise is Vince, but the rest of the goofs on the writing staff still have to answer to HHH or Steph, who I'm guessing will be a lot more involved in the creative side of things for the women than they were in the Piggy James days or whatever.

I'd think you'd also be surprised how many current WWE fans weren't even born when Trish was barking like a dog. That shit was almost 15 years ago.

But talent is only one part of the model The matches have still been short and or awful. The change MUST start behind the scenes.

Close.  I come from the distant future of 2002.  President Dusty Rhodes sent me back to find Skynet Lazertron.

I largely agree with your point, though I dunno that the quality of diva matches has improved much in the past five years.  Honestly, all I really need to do to refute your points is point to Eva Marie.

Close.  I come from the distant future of 2002.  President Dusty Rhodes sent me back to find Skynet Lazertron.

I largely agree with your point, though I dunno that the quality of diva matches has improved much in the past five years.  Honestly, all I really need to do to refute your points is point to Eva Marie.

You mean the wrestler whom they basically are giving private lessons to using Brian Kendrick?  Because that's a pretty big difference in and of itself.  In previous years, with a diva who looks good but can't wrestle, they would either relegate her to arm candy or just put her in bikini contests.  But with Eva  Marie, there seems to be a genuine desire to see her become better in the ring before relegating her to so-and-so's girlfriend/valet.  That's a major difference, already.

Wouldn't things like hiring Sara Del Rey as a trainer and HHH making the women's division a priority in NXT count as behind the scenes changes?

Sure, but that;s in NXT, That's not Raw and Smackdown.