DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

So I finally remembered to look for the TV show since it has started airing in the market so I could DVR it.

What I found interesting is my Comcast guide only lists it as airing on the SD channel - not on the HD Channel.

So I finally remembered to look for the TV show since it has started airing in the market so I could DVR it.

What I found interesting is my Comcast guide only lists it as airing on the SD channel - not on the HD Channel.

When we 1st got it here in Tallahassee we only got the SD version and it took like 6 months or more until we got the HD version so it might just be your local station not wanting to pay for HD until they see the audience to pay for the upgrade.

Not sure if we're in the same or similar market but channel 805 has the show in HD on Sunday nights at 11pm. I'm pretty sure it's a Richmond channel.

I was kinda hoping Dirden would win.  Yeah, his look is totally Poor Man's Mick Foley, but how can you not love a wrestler who uses the Asiatic Spike in 2015?

And tapes his thumb!   There is not enough love for Jake Dirden in this thread. 

He is all of the good parts of a poor man's Cactus Jack, Bruiser Brody, and Killer Khan rolled into one.

I am not totally sold on Dijak but I kinda like his improbable MOVEZ~! finisher.  It is the Davey Richards modded GITS that took steroids and sniffed freon.   A version of the AA that actually looks like it could kill someone.

• Like 1

Dirden got his start in the STL area...this used to be big Brody territory.  Former Brody protege Ron Powers still competes in SICW and they've had a few tag matches together.

Jake's already wrestled in Japan(specifically NOAH) and he's only about three years into his career.

I really liked both guys, but liked Dirden more.  He's a character, maybe a touch outside of what ROH is about.  But I hope to see more of him.  I did like Dijak's finisher.  I coudl see Dijak being a believable big man if he decided to drop the flips.

Is Dirden still wearing gray slacks? I wanted to like him but I saw some of his Noah stuff and really disliked his gear and weak looking strikes. Beyond that, I thought his Brody tribute act was a little too on the nose. Granted, this was stuff from 2013. Wouldn't be surprised if he's improved his act since then.

I haven't watched ROH since the last PPV and loved this week's show (well, the 45 minutes of it I saw). ODB got a huge pop and while she's an odd fit for ROH, she's a perfect fit for the Briscoes. Beer City Bruiser is an act I should like more than I do, but he comes off as more of a tribute act than someone genuinely getting what made big fat brawler types work. Alberto-Daniels was very good, but also was exactly how you'd expect a video game match to be done with both of them. I love Lethal seemingly setting up a PPV match with Alberto and Hanson's promo was really good hyping up the world title match. Not sure what to make of the Knights of the Dawn other than this gimmick requires a bigger budget than ROH can afford. I'm more excited about the reveal than seeing the buildup to the reveal on that one.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/roh-1-25-15.html

7ccc04384364809.jpg

c50f42384364977.jpg

786950384365093.jpg

26bdce384365190.jpg

So does that Knights of the Dawn the actual name of it?  I'd just been calling it Age of the Fall 2.0.  I do wonder who they'll have in it.

I'm all for non-sports entertainment looking guys getting a bigger shake, but Beer City Bruiser came off like someone who should be getting whaled on by the Gangstas in a mid 90s episode of ECW tv.  That or the generic out of shape brawler guy you see on every bumfuck indy card.

So does that Knights of the Dawn the actual name of it?  I'd just been calling it Age of the Fall 2.0.  I do wonder who they'll have in it.

I'm all for non-sports entertainment looking guys getting a bigger shake, but Beer City Bruiser came off like someone who should be getting whaled on by the Gangstas in a mid 90s episode of ECW tv.  That or the generic out of shape brawler guy you see on every bumfuck indy card.

I don't know I thought he was okay in the ring. If you are going to be a fat brawler he did it well.   I figure he is going to lose to Will Ferrera to set up the "little man with lots of heart" character.    I do think it is funny that a guy who has wrestled since 2000 was in a "prospects" tournament

ROH needs to be more conscious of Alberto being so much taller than the rest of the roster.  Lethal making threats towards him in the middle of the ring looked absolutely ridiculous.  Although, I'm not really sure who else on the roster could have come across as a more fearsome antagonist.

ROH needs to be more conscious of Alberto being so much taller than the rest of the roster.  Lethal making threats towards him in the middle of the ring looked absolutely ridiculous.  Although, I'm not really sure who else on the roster could have come across as a more fearsome antagonist.

Well given that 90% of his time with WWE was against Rey Jr and Dolph Ziggler, I am not sure if size of opponents is an issue.

• Like 1

Upcoming Georgia show has Sydal vs. Delirious in their first match in a long time.  Coolness.

Finally!  Sydal has a chance at vengeance for the "Evan Bou'ne ham-and-egger sooky sook-sook" rumors that lizard face fucker was spreading.

There was this awesome "shoot" interview w/ Delirious on his "Best of the Indies" set from SMV. It was shortly after Sydal went to WEE; during one of those "word association" questions, Delirious was asked about Sydal.

"Who? Evan ... Bou'ne? Evan Bou'ne?" And so was shared the above.

• Like 1