DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

I'm sure that 34,000 viewers is an awesome number for El Rey.

Basically correct.  Luncha Underground's ratings would be horrid for most networks, but it's one of the most watched programs on El Rey. 

Actually, I think it's the most watched program on El Rey, though I'm not completely certain that's correct.

El Rey's average viewership is in the 25,000 range. A couple of the episodes before the ladder match did some dismal numbers worse than that, but the ladder match doing 34k was Lucha Underground's peak so far on El Rey. The problem with the El Rey ratings seems to be not so much that people aren't digging Lucha Underground, more that people just plain aren't aware of the El Rey Network in general. I wouldn't be surprised if people see those Lucha Underground promos during RAW and think it's another faction coming to RAW instead of a separate league.

The Unimas airings may be what ends up keeping the darn thing alive, as they are hitting 250k for their weekend airings on that channel. It also helps that Unimas is a broadcast network and in most big cities is fairly high up in even the most basic cable/satellite packages.

After finding out I have DA, I searched for El Rey. Unable to find it (and confirming on the Verizon website), I decided to check via VOD- and there it was. I am bad at watching TV on the weekends so ever-so-often I will binge watch about 2-3 LU episodes via the Unimas VOD. The commentary is all in Spanish.

TNA has its debut show tomorrow and looking at the ticket sales- it doesn't appear the upcoming dates are sold out.

Does ROH have a better claim to #2 at this point? Sinclair's networks have to have more market penetration than DA. 

No, TNA's got a ton of international deals.  They've got TV deals everywhere except for some third-world countries like Mexico and Canada.

Lucha Underground's low ratings wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't spend a fortune to produce it.

TNA taped so many shows ahead of time and then aired a bunch of highlight shows so it doesn't even feel like Robbie E missed more than a couple of weeks.

They're hyping a big Kurt Angle announcement so first new show in a long time on a new network probably opens with a long talking segment.

And Dixie Carter thinks the PPV model is dying (because she doesn't understand why she can't sell any) so maybe one live PPV in 2015 and a gaggle of taped because they still have international obligations.  Turning Point available this Friday.