DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

I kinda don't think TNA is the bad guy in this situation...BUT...I find it amazing that a company that has gone to the UK once every year for several years is just now having an issue with their broadcast partner. Did this never come up in the negotiations? I would assume it didn't because TNA probably never thought someone would have a problem of them going to tape TV in a country that actually goes to their events. And I know Discovery has little experience in wrestling, but could they at least do some research into where the company does shows if this is such an issue?

I say "amazing" but again, this is TNA. And every single positive they've seemingly ever had has been followed up by negatives. This is par for the course.

I haven't watched a lot of Impact since the channel change - it just felt like time to move on and they haven't done anything to change my mind.

NXT has obviously been a factor here, and will continue to be. If you want to make it to the WWE, it's better to be collecting $50,000pa in developmental than on a TNA pay-per-use contract. Ergo, TNA can't get anybody good who isn't a WWE reject. It's just a dead show at this point - at least with ROH or whatever, you're seeing likely future WWE guys.

• Like 1

Nobody's fucking over in TNA. That's not allowed.

EC3's over, but TNA's in trouble.

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

Trouble

You know I swear last night I heard them playing his theme song towards the end of the Ranger game. At least the part after the Trouble Intro.

Oh TNA. I've always said their biggest problem was the fact that they couldn't market themselves for shit. Basically if this were EWR, TNA would be a national company that can't even get the lowest of low sponsors for the show. They really try to be too big for themselves. The best thing that could happen for TNA at this point is for them to sell back to Jarrett or maybe propose a merger with ROH. ROH Impact Wrestling could work. TNA has the production values (which isn't saying much) that ROH desperately needs. Either way The Carters/PANDA need to be out of the equation.

• Like 1

I

I know this is not how I expected to spend my first forum post on these boards but like most of you, I am shocked, SHOCKED, that TNA is four months into a business relationship and already they have pissed off the other party.

Although tbf, Destination America's super nationalistic stance seems pretty insane.

I think saying "hey could you tape more of your shows in America" isn't really a "super nationalistic stance" for a company named Destination America. It doesn't bode well for the crowd heat of their TV shows, but I don't think it's unreasonable as a request. It's not like they said "hey fire all these Brits you have on your show."

Well, they also basically forced a Kurt Angle World Title reign due to "he won a gold medal for the US 20 years ago."

And I'm sure most of us would agree having Kurt Angle holding your world title in 2015 is somewhat unreasonable.

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE.

Whoops. That was weird. Here's the text from that link.

While a recent report said that TNA Wrestling was behind on paying its talent, those are not the only people the company has been slow to compensate.

Multiple freelance workers — each of whom has a long working relationship with TNA — have told Sporting News over the past two weeks, on the condition of anonymity, that the wrestling company is well behind on paying the production staff and has shorted them on past dates.

Those workers are still owed money for the One Night Only pay-per-view tapings which took place Feb. 13-16 at Universal Studios in Orlando, Fla., which concluded 60 days from publishing date.

The industry standard in television is that freelance workers should be paid within 30 days. Bigger entertainment companies such as ESPN and Fox pay within 14 days.

One member of the production team was told by the company accounting department that the checks for the One Night Only shows were cut on April 3, but no one has received them yet.

"They are just blatantly lying to us all of the time,” he said. “They’re probably still on the floor in Dallas at the office of Panda Energy.”

Panda Energy is the parent company of TNA Wrestling.

PWInsider.com reported that TNA was at least several weeks behind on paying its talent but is now catching up with checks being sent out and received. It is also believed that a pay issue played a part in Taz parting ways with the company earlier this week after a six-year run as the color commentator for the “Impact Wrestling” show, which airs on Destination America.

These same freelance workers have been dealing with pay issues from earlier this year, receiving late payment for the TNA UK tour which took place Jan. 29-31. Most of them did not receive their checks until early April, anywhere from 65 to 70 days after the shows concluded. Plus, all of them — more than two dozen workers — were shorted payment on average more than $1,000 each.

Several people have said the accounting department has used a variety of excuses on why pay is always late. The most common is that the check has already been cut and was in the mail, only for people to not receive it for weeks on end or at all. Another excuse used is that the checks were delayed due to weather.

The production team member said that this is the third year in a row he and others have had to wait more than 60 days to receive payment. He and others are now telling other freelance personnel to not work for TNA.

“We are tired of being treated like this,” he said. “It’s the lack of respect more than anything.”

Brian Fritz has previously covered pro wrestling and MMA for AOL FanHouse and The Orlando Sentinel. You can find more of his work including podcasts at www.BetweenTheRopes.com. E-mail him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @BrianFritz.

Another excuse used is that the checks were delayed due to weather.

1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif

Holy shit that's amazing. 

The sun needs to be shining into the office windows just right to properly sign paychecks.

It's a pain in the ass to walk to the post office to mail the checks when it's raining.

Strong winds knocked out the power to the payroll offices.  For weeks.

The CFO saw his shadow.  6 more weeks of no paychecks.

The only weather-related phenomenon is the flood of bullshit emanating from the offices of this pathetic, bush league company.

• Like 8

Did Destination America know beforehand that TNA would go to Europe?  What would happen if they tried saying "No Europe" during the talks?  That might have made it a bit tough for TNA to agree to.  So assuming plans fell through and the deal with Spike was done, for all we know they might have been dead by now.  I'd say they're better off shopping for another network, but there's the contract in place.  There's no promotion behind it whatsoever so nobody knows they even exist.  And DA doesn't seem keen on helping them with that.  It's been said many times, but this looks really bad for TNA's future.  What makes it worse is that the TV's actually been good with little bullshit.

TNA needs to listen to Destination America. These are the same people who churn out highly-acclaimed emmy-winning programming like Mountain Monsters, United States of Bacon, Ghost Town Gold, When Ghosts Attack and Ghost Stalkers.

They know their stuff, frankly.

this looks really bad for TNA's future.

This should be like their catchphrase or something. I have never heard any other words more often when it comes to TNA besides "They're a fucking joke of a company." and "LOLTNA".

IF ONLY WE HAD TWO HOURS.

I just want to point out that this company literally had FOUR opportuinities to sell for eight figures.

The fact that they turned down one of those opportunities because the suitor wouldn't let Dixie stay on as kayfabe owner -- kayfabe as in "this isn't a wrestling storyline; do not tell anyone at all she's not the owner" -- should have been enough to scare away anyone.  The Carters are fucking lunatics.

• Like 1

I just want to point out that this company literally had FOUR opportuinities to sell for eight figures.

The fact that they turned down one of those opportunities because the suitor wouldn't let Dixie stay on as kayfabe owner -- kayfabe as in "this isn't a wrestling storyline; do not tell anyone at all she's not the owner" -- should have been enough to scare away anyone.  The Carters are fucking lunatics.

Can you blame the Carter's?  Keep her away from the family business where she can actually do some real damage.

TNA needs to listen to Destination America. These are the same people who churn out highly-acclaimed emmy-winning programming like Mountain Monsters, United States of Bacon, Ghost Town Gold, When Ghosts Attack and Ghost Stalkers.

Maybe it's just me, but that's a lot of shows about ghosts.

You forgot to mention the show about monsters.  Apparently, there's a dragon living in the woods about 20 min from me.  I had no idea.

So.. worst booking idea.  DA wanting American Olympic hero as TNA world champ 12 years too late, or Cary putting the ROH Title on Jerry Lynn so ROH can re-enact "the Wrestler"  (the movie, of course)?

I'm ambivalent. 

Kurt Angle vs a ghost vs a dragon is probably the best Bound for Glory main event TNA could build to tbh.

"What is Jasper the chummy ghost doing in the Impact Zone?!?"

Fixed.

I always have and will continue to say that this company's biggest moment, most memorable moment, greatest accomplishment, make up any list you want is surviving. They are still in business. It is remarkable. 

The fact that they turned down one of those opportunities because the suitor wouldn't let Dixie stay on as kayfabe owner -- kayfabe as in "this isn't a wrestling storyline; do not tell anyone at all she's not the owner" -- should have been enough to scare away anyone. The Carters are fucking lunatics.
Can you blame the Carter's? Keep her away from the family business where she can actually do some real damage.The best way to keep Dixie away from family business is give her a ball of yarn or shine a laser pointer at the floor or wall.
  • Like 2

Maybe it's just me, but that's a lot of shows about ghosts.

TNA is all but dead too, so maybe they're part of the whole "afterlife" theme this channel has going on?

You forgot to mention the show about monsters.  Apparently, there's a dragon living in the woods about 20 min from me.  I had no idea.

So.. worst booking idea.  DA wanting American Olympic hero as TNA world champ 12 years too late, or Cary putting the ROH Title on Jerry Lynn so ROH can re-enact "the Wrestler"  (the movie, of course)?

I'm ambivalent. 

I can sort of see Destination America's POV on this. Kurt Angle has the most name value of anyone in TNA right now. Of course if this were three years ago, DA would probably want the title on Hulk Hogan for that same exact reason.

It's really amazing TNA never took off as a touring company so they can have at least a steady stream of income. But the above mentioned marketing problems sunk that. Did anyone ever even know that TNA was doing shows within driving distance of them on this board outside of reading about it online?

Is TNA even worth it for Vince to buy at this point? I've made the argument here that he should but he might be better off letting it tank and buying the video library at the local Salvation Army

Jarrett will buy the company long before Vince cares about it.

Kurt Angle vs a ghost vs a dragon is probably the best Bound for Glory main event TNA could build to tbh.

"What is Casper doing in the Impact Zone?!?"

WHY IS JASPER THE UNFRIENDLY GHOST ATTACKING CASPER!?

AND WHY ARE THEY NOW GOING FOR THE TAG TEAM TITLES!?

• Like 3