DVDVR Message Board

Best of ROH General Pimping Thread~!

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how big a part of my life ROH was, and yet how little I remember of it today. I'm mostly here for someone to tell me what I should revisit. So do that!

Here are some random thoughts, though:

Chris Daniels vs. Doug Williams was my favorite match for a long time, almost solely because it had a lot of body part work. At the time, I thought that was necessary for matches to be good.

Strangely, I didn't much care for the Dragon/Homicide "hand match" at the time. Because they used the ring bell! You can't do that in ROH!

I (still) give Punk a lot of shit, but the third match with Joe is probably my favorite ROH match ever, especially the video portion of Punk and "Bower" going over the previous two matches beforehand. Maybe others think you shouldn't deconstruct the first two acts of a play before the climax, but I think it's a neat idea that someone should try again.

Goldman, we may have to scuffle over Gibson. He might not have been the most spectacular, but I remember him being so professional and polished, and adaptable to anyone he fought. He slipped right in like no other cast-off was able to.

Steen and Generico may be the two biggest ROH success stories. Everyone knew Dragon and Punk were going places, but those two washed out their first go around. They just weren't very good. They toured around, got better, came back, and took over the world, to the point where Zayn/Neville from NXT may be the best indy match ever.

I don't think I've been to an ROH show since the Steen/Generico retirement match, but up until that point I was still harassing referee Todd Sinclair for costing Dragon the title against Homicide. He refused to break the hold! That's a DQ! Homicide wouldn't have won if not for Todd Sinclair's activist officiating!

EVA should respond to my PMs.

Here is a list of Meltzer's ROH matches that he rated over 4 stars:

2/23/02 Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels vs. American Dragon (4.5)

4/27/02 Low Ki vs. AJ Styles (4.5)

10/16/04 ROH Champion Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk (5)

6/18/05 ROH Champion Austin Aries vs. CM Punk (4.5)

10/1/05 Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi (5)

12/17/05 GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion KENTA vs. Low Ki (4.5)

3/31/06 Blood Generation (Cima, Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino) vs. Do Fixer (Genki Horiguchi, Ryo Saito & Dragon Kid) (5)

8/12/06 Unification Match: ROH Champion Bryan Danielson vs. Pure Champion Nigel McGuinness (4.75)

9/16/06 ROH Champion Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA (4.75)

2/16/07 Samoa Joe vs. Takeshi Morishima (4.5)

6/9/07 Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson (4.5)

8/25/07 ROH Champion Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson (4.75)

12/29/07 ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries (4.75)

3/16/08 ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness vs. Tyler Black (4.5)

7/26/08 Bryan Danielson vs. Tyler Black (4.5)

11/22/08 ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson (4.5)

9/11/09 The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) vs. The Young Bucks (Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson) (4.5)

4/3/10 Tag Team Champions The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli w/ Shane Hagadorn) (not far behind 4.5)

4/3/10 Elimination Match: ROH Champion Tyler Black vs. Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong (in the 4.5 range)

6/19/10 ROH Champion Tyler Black vs. Davey Richards (probably in the 4.75 range)

6/26/11 Davey Richards vs. ROH Champion Eddie Edwards (4.75)

3/31/12 ROH Champion Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin (w/ Truth Martini) (5)

10/13/12 Jay Lethal vs. Davey Richards (4.5)

10/13/12 ROH Champion Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin (4.5)

4/5/13 Tag Team Champions reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) vs. The American Wolves (Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards) (4.5)

5/10/14 IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks (Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson) vs. Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. The Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) (4.5)

Looking at this list just makes me wonder what would happen if WWE ran Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins as the main event at WrestleMania this year. With 7 years of maturity, they'd be able to top 08, right?

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've been getting a few PMs from people asking about this, so I just wanted to bump it back up and hopefully get some conversations going again. It seems like there is so much good stuff from the 04-06 era, and so many people are familiar with it. Maybe someone who is more well versed with later ROH, like the PPV stuff and the after Gabe era, can throw out some choice cuts for us to discuss? I would still love to get people comfortable enough to get a few ballots in somewhere down the line, and see what has aged well and what hasn't.