DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Worst WM moments I can think of: Jim Ross in a toga, Snooki in a match, Iron Sheik taking forever to get to the ring then having to win the gimmick battle royal because he couldn't take a bump over the top ropes, and Roddy Piper driving the white bronco into Piper stripping Goldust down to his lingerie (Though I actually liked the first part of that match!) 

• Like 1

Hogan matches aren't bad for what they are. Matches against DDP are solid but largely overshadowed by the Savage/DDP series preceding it.

I still remember that goofy Hogan cross arm-breaker he pulled against Bret once on Nitro.

Hogan anytime he actually wrestled and did actual wrestling moves was always weird. It's like you can see him counting the steps in his head. ONE...TWO...THREE...ARMBAR BROTHER. Hogan also always had the weirdest figure four. It was kind like Dusty's in that he would just cross the legs and step down on it.

But thinking of Hogan doing a cross arm breaker I'm thinking WCW missed a gem around that time he was doing the whole FUR&B thing when he had to wrestle as Terry Bollea. Shooter Hogan could have been so awesome. Him trying to "break" peoples legs like Matsuda did to him. Now I want to see this.

• Like 1

*travels back in time and tells Hogan to start doing the Sharpshooter in 2000 as a 'legbreaker' move*

----

Watched the truncated Hart/Hogan match from 1998 on the WWE YouTube, and Sting ran out to make the save for Bret Hart when Hogan was putting Bret Hart in the SPINNING TOE HOLD. Not kidding 

Hogan's the most interesting case of a pretty decent worker who realized he didn't need to work that much to be over. He would get comfortable in Hulk Hogan mode where he'd coast for years but with the right opponent, he'd just bust out some awesome shit.

I'm kind of curious what Hogan would be doing today if he kept the Lariat finisher instead of the Leg Drop.

For bad Mania moments, how about the Savage/Crush "falls count anywhere" match at Mania X?  It was WWE's first clumsy attempt at EXTREEEEME and it was god awful.  Instead of a nice, simple FCA match, it was some convoluted Chutes and Ladders bullshit where you had to pin a guy (or just incapacitate him maybe?) and then return to the ring and wait.  If they couldn't get back to the ring in 60 seconds, you won.  Jesus Christ I'm getting confused just typing this.

So instead of the drama of a pinfall, we get the drama of watching the winner stand in the ring for a minute.

IIRC, Savage won by tying Crush to a scaffold so he couldn't get free in time to get back to the ring.  Yep.  The vicious blood feud essentially ended with one man lassoing the other and running away.

• Like 1

Backlund vs. Ramon at WM9 was pretty bad.

WM9 was pretty bad all together, outside of the Steiners/Headshrinkers. My memory is really fuzzy on Bret/Yoko, but given that it's Bret and Yoko before his weight got completely out of hand, it couldn't have been bad. Hogan walking out with the belt ruins even the best match, though. Even 12 y/o me thought the concept of "the world's largest toga party" was fucking stupid.

22-year-old me wore a toga to my friend's house to watch WM 9. I know I'm not the only one.

My friend's reaction: "I knew Gorman would wear a toga!"

• Like 1

I think two of the worst include Jericho. Jericho vs HBK was some fine self indulging shit. Then again I really don't fucking care for the 'you were my idol!' matches. Fuck it, match was boring as shit. It was a polite little wrestling match until Jericho nutted him after the match.

The other was the Punk vs Jericho matches. I understand being one bias motherfucker. but can someone who actually watched this without dozing make a case for this being a good match? Punk doesn't have enough stuff for 12 minutes, let alone how ever long this was. And Jericho hasn't been good since 2010. Why he comes back to work a mid card feud once a year when he doesn't get anyone excited anymore is idk-worthy.

I will take bad over boring. At least with bad you will watch in utter disbelief sometimes. With boring, you find something else to do..

• Like 2

For bad Mania moments, how about the Savage/Crush "falls count anywhere" match at Mania X?  It was WWE's first clumsy attempt at EXTREEEEME and it was god awful.  Instead of a nice, simple FCA match, it was some convoluted Chutes and Ladders bullshit where you had to pin a guy (or just incapacitate him maybe?) and then return to the ring and wait.  If they couldn't get back to the ring in 60 seconds, you won.  Jesus Christ I'm getting confused just typing this.

So instead of the drama of a pinfall, we get the drama of watching the winner stand in the ring for a minute.

IIRC, Savage won by tying Crush to a scaffold so he couldn't get free in time to get back to the ring.  Yep.  The vicious blood feud essentially ended with one man lassoing the other and running away.

I just watched that a couple weeks ago! I totally forgot that was even a part of WM X. It reminded me that Crush turned heel long before his ex-convict gimmick and he feuded with Macho.

This is also worse than you remember. So the rules are pretty accurate, but the end was hilarious. They brawl to the backstage area and there's this contraption. Maybe there was a forklift involved. It was so bad I'm blanking on it. Anyway, Macho uses a fucking chain to tie around Crush's ankles. Then, he tries to pull Crush up so Crush can hang there by his ankles, but the thing keeps letting Crush down. Macho tries like 2 or 3 times to get the fucking thing to work before he heads back to the ring. Crush is gently let down to the ground again and the guy has to lay there like a dork when he could have easily gotten up.

I think I was so traumatized by it that my mind blocked out the extent of the horror.

Cool thing about Crush is he kept the same name across five pretty different gimmicks.  That has to be a record.

Demolition Crush

Friendly Hawaiian Crush

Evil Mr. Fuji disciple Crush with face paint and different gear

Ex-Con N.O.D. Crush

Biker Crush (D.O.A.)

• Like 5

I think I was so traumatized by it that my mind blocked out the extent of the horror.

Cool thing about Crush is he kept the same name across five pretty different gimmicks.  That has to be a record.

Demolition Crush

Friendly Hawaiian Crush

Ex-Con N.O.D. Crush

Biker Crush (D.O.A.)

Brian Adams worked four Manias, each time with a different gimmick.  Another record.

• Like 1

Can I nominate Triple H going over Booker T in the 'Worst Moments'?

A heel going over isnt the worst thing but given the build for the match it was pretty poor they couldn't even give Booker a feel good moment before putting the title back on HHH for the Goldberg series.

The racist guy actually winning the feud after making the black guy lay around and sell his finishing move for 30 seconds and Lawler/Cole are the two worst WM moments I've seen.

• Like 1

I think this makes more funny here rather than the comics part of the board:

The solicitation copy on Punk's Thor story says it's about young Thor trying to prove himself worthy of Mjolnir by winning a drinking contest.

I hope his DC Strange Sports Stories contribution is about a wrestling bear trying to win a drinking contest.

So on my Facebook "Trending" feed on the right hand thingy, "Jeff Hardy - WWE Wrestler knocked out after falling from top of cage on to steel steps during match" is there.

What is funnier about this? That he's still acknowledged as "WWE Wrestler" 5+ years after leaving there and no mention of TNA or Impact is anywhere to be seen? Or that it's being reported as a shoot/real injury instead of just a crazy bump and storyline to write him off TV while they travel out of the country?

Demolition Crush

Friendly Hawaiian Crush

Ex-Con N.O.D. Crush

Biker Crush (D.O.A.)

Brian Adams worked four Manias, each time with a different gimmick.  Another record.

Also everything he did, he did it for you.

• Like 2