DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

Roger Goodell is on the phone with various hitmen as we speak.

If they had gotten ANYONE other than Will Smith, I might go see it.

Same here; I have no interest in seeing what kind of "acting" Will Smith thinks may get him an Oscar.

I haven't read the book, but after watching the PBS documentary on League of Denial, Dr. Bennet Omalu's story should translate pretty well to a movie. It's weird, I used to love the Fresh Prince tv show and early DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince albums as a kid but there's just something about post Jazzy Jeff Will Smith that I've always loathed. Maybe it stems from me not being allowed to see the South Park movie as a kid even though all my friends did and having to sit through Wild Wild West instead, but I really don't like Will Smith in any capacity post '93-ish. Seriously, fuck I Am Legend. However, the League of Denial material is so strong and an important topic, that I want this to do well and may check it out in theatres even though it looks like Will Smith is trying his damndest to get that Oscar.

It's called All The Way.  It's a movie version of the play that won Bryan Cranston the Tony.  

It's about LBJ (and Martin Luther King) pushing through the Civil Rights Act of '64 while in the middle of the election.   Lots of incredible machinations going on, like him abandoning Walter Jenkins when he's arrested for having sex with men in public, basically abandoning Lady Bird during the fight to get CRA through, and promising Humphrey, who he despised, the Vice Presidency for support of CRA.  

Basically, Cranston has just claimed the 2017 Best Actor in a TV Movie Emmy  -- halfway to the EGOT!   Though if Trumbo is anywhere near as good as it looks, he could be 3/4 of the way there.