DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Civs can remain at home exercising their Constitutional right of Free Speech to criticize the policy.

Everyone could have remained home. Nothing has changed. I'll agree that we do not need to be bashing the military and I don't. They are brave and they are doing the best job they can to protect us but the war itself.. and this Chris Kyle fellow... and this piece of crap film...   I have many issues with all of it.

• Like 1

My best friend in this world is a veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan. Several other friends served in one or the other, or both. I'm deeply conflicted on all of this, because supporting the military but not the war is always going to be somewhat incoherent intellectually.

I loved The Hurt Locker, but I don't really feel any desire to see another film about that war. I'm just glad I don't have my heart skip a best every time casualties in Afghanistan get mentioned on the news anymore.

I saw American Sniper last night and I'm having such a hard time vocalizing exactly what bothered me about it. Clearly this is not the place to discuss politics, but one issue was the fact that it just made me angry that guys were sent over there and put in the position to die and/or get physically and mentally maimed to begin with. But again, going down that road will get us nowhere. 

And clearly the real Chris Kyle was fucked up in a lot of ways, but based solely on the way the movie portrayed him BEFORE he even signed up with the military, I just didn't like the guy.  And I liked him even less after, overall, but was willing to give the benefit of the doubt of the horrible things he saw and did.  That would fuck up anyone.

And along those same lines, the movie didn't make me like his father any either.  The whole sheep/sheepdog/wolf bullshit scene made me roll me eyes until they practically fell out.  I felt like there might have almost been a message about not taking shit from anyone but not starting it either, but it was buried under an angry redneck father taking off his belt and putting it on the dinner table because of his boys being involved in a fight. Great. 

Speaking of his brother.................we get his wife tearfully telling Chris that he was deployed.  Then later we see him meet up with his brother, and clearly his brother is in pain as well, and Chris isn't sure how to process it, aaaaaaaaand then we never touch on it again.  OK then. 

Someone said earlier something to the effect of how it felt like a bunch of scenes put together, and that really hit the nail on the head for me. I found myself not terribly upset about the safety of any of the guys with him because we barely got to know them.  And that's sad because the movie is set in places and situations where we should really feel for the people in it and see the horror they deal with.  It all just felt paper thin. 

The behavior of Chris Kyle after returning.........racist comments, frequent lying and embellishment, well that's been covered to where I don't think I could add anything more. 

Sofia Coppola's Ferguson.

I think I would enjoy David Lynch's Ferguson a lot more even though I would have no idea what the fuck was going on.  Especially during the scenes where the police officers wear rabbit masks.

Oh, this could be fun.

Michael Bay's Ferguson. Starring The Rock and Mark Wahlberg as two angry and muscle-bound protestors who bring in Optimus Prime to deal with the crooked cops.

If Kyle hadn't died, how much shit would he be getting right now? People would be coming out of the woodwork to talk about how they met him once and he was a massive twat about things.

Except he'd be in jail for murder, obviously. You can't be sitting on the roof of the Super Dome shooting disintegrating random criminals suspected criminals without going to jail for it, right? Even if you then manage to erase every trace of them from history after disintegrating them, it's still using lethal force against someone who is no immediate threat to anyone's life.

EDIT: Zack Snyder's Ferguson. The same as Michael Bay's Ferguson, but an hour longer to accomodate the slo-mo, less colour, more girls in fishnets, and then entire cast dies at the end. And without that shot from the POV of a semi-conscious person, looking up at a helicopter (slowed down so you can see the rotors) that Bay always bloody uses.

• Like 1

I think he was found to be lying about that. The fact that he thought that was something to brag about in the first place might solidify the "he was fucked up from PTSD" point.

Even his death...you're trying to help a man you know is severely mentally ill so you take him to a shooting range of all places? Not getting into the gun thing (we don't need anymore politics here) but that is not rational behavior.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say Kyle was fucked up from the war and it's not fair to judge him solely on what he did when he got back. I can't imagine what eight years in war torn Iraq would do to someone's mental state.

I think he was found to be lying about that. The fact that he thought that was something to brag about in the first place might solidify the "he was fucked up from PTSD" point.

Even his death...you're trying to help a man you know is severely mentally ill so you take him to a shooting range of all places? Not getting into the gun thing (we don't need anymore politics here) but that is not rational behavior.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say Kyle was fucked up from the war and it's not fair to judge him solely on what he did when he got back. I can't imagine what eight years in war torn Iraq would do to someone's mental state.

THAT'S what I forgot to mention earlier.  Taking a man with PTSD (or many veterans with issues, judging by what was implied in the movie) to a shooting range ranks up there with one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.  Helping veterans who were scarred by war?  Amazingly honorable and should be done without question and it's shame that it isn't.  But thinking that putting a gun in their hands is the answer is sheer lunacy. 

Yeah, I can think of a ton of smart things you can do to help a mentally troubled former soldier. Swimming. An arts and craft class. Basketball. Surfing. Take him for coffee. The list is endless. And none involve giving a deeply sick man a fireman.

Kyle wasn't stupid. You don't survive that long in Iraq being stupid. So I don't know how you explain that other than maybe he had a lot of problems himself and wasn't able to examine things and say "What the fuck are you doing bringing this crazy person to a shooting range?"

The Babadook: Don't buy all the talk about it being one of "scariest films ever" but it is a pretty impressive film. The acting is so far above what you see in most horror movies. Noah Wise is probably one of the best child actors I've ever seen. The "creepy child" thing is a cliche but he's really good.

Wasn't crazy about the ending, though:

They built up The Babadook for ages and then it just...gives up because she yells at him? Man, you know that shit wouldn't work on Jason Voorhees or Freddy Kreuger.

Also, I don't know if it was just me but the sister came off as awful. I get the kid was a bit of an oddball, but you think you'd have a bit of sympathy for your widowed and depressed sister when she claims a strange man is stalking her and her son.

You know things are bad when you're in a movie with child-eating demonic hell beast and you still come off as the worst person in it.

The Babadook

wasn't real.  It was a manifestation of their guilt, mourning and all the unresolved stuff they never faced when the husband/father died.  The mother created the book herself.

Eh I've heard the whole "It was in her head" thing. But the son saw it too and was being terrorized by it. One person being crazy and hallucinating? Sure. But two? And they see the same exact thing? Sounds a bit crazy.

Watched Pride last night. Its about the Gay and Lesbian community helping out the striking  miners in teh Uk in 1984-85. Its one of those cute British movies you get every now and then, in the vein of "The Full Monty" or "Pirate Radio". Great cast headlines by Bill Nighy and Dominick West. Fun watch. . . .

I watched The Trip To Italy last night on Netflix. It is wonderful and awesome, just like The Trip.

I felt like it was a hair below 'The Trip' but still perfectly awesome.  It's too bad you didn't get the DVD version because there's a handful of deleted scenes and the one where Coogan and Brydon did competing Michael Caine impressions of Caine cross-dressing, followed by Michael Caine coming home to talk to his wife after killing a prostitute just KILLED me dead.

Time to catch up on some reviews:

Domestic Disturbance - John Travolta is Frank, the divorced father of Danny. Teri Polo is Danny's mom and she's about to get married to Rick, played by Vince Vaughn. Danny is upset mom is getting married and doesn't like Rick, a man with a dark and mysterious pass. When Danny witnesses Rick murdering someone, things get MESSY. This is straight paint-by-numbers thriller of the week stuff. The cast is solid and they're all fine in their roles but not really given much to work with. Like so many other thrillers, we're asked to ignore stuff that makes no sense - like Danny being mad his mom is getting married although his dad already lives with someone else or Rick killing a guy in his car but magically leaving behind no blood after a quick wipedown. In the end, this is your average movie aspiring to be average and succeeding. 5/10.

Empire State - Apparently The Rock likes "based on a true story" heist movies. Unfortunately, this one ain't Pain & Gain. Empire State tells the tale of the robbery of the most-comically-unsecured armored car depot of all-time, a heist that netted somewhere between $8m and eleventy billion dollars. I give that range because the number frequently morphs in the movie and we're presented with math that makes no sense (like $8m being "half" of $11m). Liam Hemsworth stars as the security guard who assisted in the robbery. The story told is a convoluted mess of a movie and is just a disaster. Hardly anything makes sense, scenes are disjointed and thrown together and simply doesn't work. It seems to want to be a "funny caper" movie like Pain & Gain but doesn't succeed. Bottom line: this movie stinks. 2/10.

The Imitation Game - Benedict Cumberbatch is Alan Turing, the pioneering mathematician and computer scientist. The Imitation Game tells the (based on a) true story of Turing's work at Bletchley Park during World War II, creating a machine that could decode Germany's unbreakable "Enigma" code. Keira Knightley plays Joan Clarke, Turing's collaborator and fiancee. What on the surface sounds like a perhaps-unexciting theme for a movie (codebreakers) instead ends up as a dramatic race against time. Against the backdrop of supply chains being cut off from England and casualties mounting, Turing and his team speed toward finding a solution. Cumberbatch is brilliant here, capturing Turing's volatile behavior and Aspergers-like disdain for social niceties and nuance. The rest of the cast are pretty much just along for the ride but carry their parts well. The movie does play fast and loose with the facts in a couple key areas, which definitely hurts it, particularly in giving Turing too much credit. That said, this is a terrific movie that tells a very important story and tells it well. 8/10.

On a more personal note, I couldn't help but be dismayed by Turing's story. I already knew the key points but seeing him prosecuted and chemically castrated for being gay, eventually driving him to suicide after he grew breasts, up on the big screen brought it all back home again. Such a waste of a brilliant mind that was nowhere close to being done contributing meaningful work. How much further along could we be technology-wise if we hadn't sacrificed one of our brightest minds? :(

On a side note, when I was walking into The Imitation Game on Saturday night, the line waiting to get in for The Boy Next Door was a mile long. Maybe even sold out. Quite the surprise (to me, anyway).

I want to feel bad for her, cuz I like Wiest but this part

But after that, she found she was only getting offered roles to play “a nice mom, and that’s it. That’s all that ever came, except in theater.”

made me roll my eyes pretty bad.  "Aw, you're only getting offers to play nice moms?  That's so much harder than stocking shelves at 3 in the morning like my mom does every day, I feel really bad for you."  Swallow your damn pride and play the nice mom, or get a new job.

• Like 1