DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

I am on a London/Spanky watchfest right now

Paul London and Brian Kendrick vs WGTT - Raw, 18 June 2007 -

WWE Velocity - Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. The Dicks -

WWE Velocity - Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. Scotty Charisma & Arch Kincaid -

Jeff Hardy vs The Brian Kendrick on SmackDown -

A buddy and I are putting together a MONEY INC mix tape, because they are the best tag team of all time. It's been proven by science. Can't find footage of their first house show title win against LOD. If anyone's got any ideas of stuff to include on this one, let me know!

I admire your guff. There are taped house shows and some CV stuff vs the Nasty Boys from the end of 92 which are actually really good. Rotunda looks as good in them as he does in his entire IRS run (or at least until when I Stopped watching stuff recently in 94).

You need the six man where they tag with Doink too.

Awesome call.

http://www.tunesbaby.com/dm/?x=x70dno

Was there ever any kind of promo where Ted and Irwin announced they'd be tagging together? A genesis of Money Inc?

I always thought Tommy's brawls were pretty captivating in the moment, because they were generally part of a big angle, and there was always a feeling that the match would end with Tommy getting shot, or being suplexed off a building, or like swallowing an m80 or any other completely insane thing you could think of. When you watch them back knowing they never really go that far, there isn't much to keep interest.

So I guess this is the first time I saw this whole match in a very, very long time but I had no idea that Hogan finishes Hansen off with a lariat right in this match, I feel like it was kind of a dick move, other people's thoughts?

http://youtu.be/6EZveIuA_hg

One of the reasons I like watching the WWF go to Japan is seeing the strange mix of ring elements (i.e. Japanese style-cable ropes paired with WWF turnbuckles and a AJPW ring apron, etc.) It also makes me wonder why Hansen wasn't a bigger star in the States then he was. He had everything a great wrestler needed.

Because he saw Japan as his primary job.

Tommy Dreamer talk made me think of his match with CW Anderson that I liked. I tried to find it on youtube, but found this instead:

It features what looks like the worst Texas Cloverleaf ever.

These are things I've enjoyed in the past few days.

cagematch.net tells me this is a Three way Texas ranch mask vs mask match, from December last year. Wire and lighttubes but no real overkill with them. Loads of nasty looking bumps though. With the mask-ripping going on, it's funny that the guy who loses his mask in the end is the only one with enough mask left that I couldn't pick him out of a police lineup. That mat needs washed and sanitised.

DTU - Draztick Boy vs Aero Boy vs Ciclope (starts just after the 20:00 mark)

This one I must've skipped over before because I've seen the tag match afterwards, which is ok. This Solar guy looks like he should be at home in bed by whatever time this match is happening, but he's more than decent, and Noam is pretty slick.

ICW - Noam Dar vs Solar (03:00 mark)

This one I just watched, going to watch it again later. Fantastic.

WXW - Big Van Walter vs Daisuke Sekimoto

After thoroughly enjoying the antics of El Torito on smackdown, I went in search of some Mascarita Sagrada matches.  I came upon this fun comedy match from WWE Velocity with both Mascarita and Octagoncito.  I particularly liked Charles "Lil Naitch" Robinson in this as the referee

Watching ROH 2005 since I have only seen bits and pieces and while I know the whole thing was marketed to people who like to believe that their fake sport filled with murderers and drug addicts has inherent values besides fleecing people out of money, this Code of Honour business is nonsense. Gabe on commentary clearly believes it too and thus comes off like a total nerd on commentary. James Gibson vs. Spanky has some of the worst commentary I've ever heard with Gabe/Bower talking about there's no agents telling them how to build a match, no veterans telling them to slow it down so they don't steal their heat, they have FREEDOM, damn it and I get that their fanbase would eat that shit up at the time but it's so dorky. The match wasn't even good either and Gibson has never been better than when he was getting punched in the face off Chuck Palumbo and teaming with Nidia but I am enjoying it in general. 

Nigel McGuinness' story of being a football hooligan would be believable if he didn't have that hair.

WWE signing Colt Cabana and not letting him be Colt Cabana on Smackdown and ECW is testament to just how shitty they handled the "New Talent Initiative" because his stuff is just constantly entertaining.

Julius Smokes is, and will always be, awesome. Homicide and Bryan Danielson stabbing each other with forks and brawling into the crowd is, and will always be, awesome.

Man, did Prince Nana ever get handed a bland bunch of dudes in Walters, Rave and Fast Eddie. I remember Rave becoming a great heel though so I guess that's coming up soon. 

Matt Sydal is in and around the card now and this is half a roster of guys who I think are great and guys who I'd be tempted to fast forward through if they weren't in with the former.

I guess my point is, that I switch off when they're talking about guys not respecting each other and am on board when Homicide tells Danielson he's going to rip his throat out.

HBK/Razor ladder match at SummerSlam 95 is less enjoyable than I remember it to be. First half is the greatest match in history while the other half had not-so-good bumping by Razor (was he injured during this time?) which made HBK's comebacks really weak-looking. 

Speaking of ROH, 2002, I re-watched the Danielson/Low Ki/Daniels three-way classic. Of course as expected, it's a spotfest but it's super fun and creative. Just don't mind the multiple times that someone stupidly uses submission moves (like a cattle mutilation) that puts him in the most prone position to an attack by the other opponent who is just 2 feet away.

WWE signing Colt Cabana and not letting him be Colt Cabana on Smackdown and ECW is testament to just how shitty they handled the "New Talent Initiative" because his stuff is just constantly entertaining.

Colt fucked that up all by himself.