DVDVR Message Board

The What Are You Watching Thread

jaedmc

My Continental footage has big gaps so I just watched a week near the end of June and it was much better. There was a real fun match between Roy Lee Welch and Tim Horner with Roy Lee Welch apparently having faked a knee injury in a match the previous week and spending a lot of the early minutes protesting his innocence and asking for a handshake from Horner. Of course he eventually blasted Horner with a punch instead of giving him a clean break and then won the match with a handful of Horner's tights. Honestly, one of my favorite matches is the "newly turned/in the process of turning heel pretends to want a fair match against a babyface before inevitably cheating" so this was right up my alley.

Then Jerry Stubbs is doing a Mr. Perfect gimmick where he offers $1,000 to anyone who can last 10 minutes with him, and apparently $10,000 to anyone who can beat him and/or last 30 minutes with him but I'm not sure on that part. Anyway, Frankie Lancaster barely survives the 10 minutes then rolls outside the celebrate and grab the money, even though the match isn't over and Stubbs' Continental Title is still on the line. So Stubbs goes out and kicks his ass. Stubbs hits him with a chair and when Frankie goes under the ring to do his blade job Stubbs tosses the chair after him. This ends with Stubbs killing him with a brainbuster on the concrete floor and Brad Armstrong running out to make the save, if you could call it that after the guy's already suffered a 5 minute beatdown ending with a brainbuster on the floor.

Bob Armstrong is feuding with The Flame still but now he is "El Fuego" I like Bob Armstrong but this seems like the Bullet gimmick would have had a shorter shelf life than the length of time it ran for, especially with all the guys like The Flame and Mr Wrestling II coming in to take the mask.

Adrian Street is still here, now feuding with "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley. Street debuts a hilarious music video of his own original song "Something Very Strange about a Cowboy" which I loved. Found it here if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNBOWLP7rrk

Then a Wendell Cooley match has Wendell Cooley coming out...in a Wildcat Jacket!

S5CWXw.gif

Watched another week of Continental. Show started with Gordon Solie & Wendell Cooley showing video of how Cooley lost to Adrian Street in a non title match. Linda jabs him in the eyes for the finish which Gordon calls wonderfully with "Something happened." Then Adrian Street steals the Southeastern title. Cooley is not very good on the mic as he demands Street return his belt. At the very end of the show he does get the title back, however Street has replaced the black leather strap with a pink one. Cooley is not amused. But he still can't cut a good promo about it.

Then we get The Bullet vs. El Fuego and they do pretty much nothing, but a fun nothing, for about 4 minutes before someone else in a mask runs in to attack The Bullet. And as far as I can tell that's all he is "some guy in a mask." Bullet brawls with that guy while El Fuego runs off (well he ain't running nowhere he's over 300 lbs) to the locker room. Then El Fuego comes back and BLASTS Bullet with a fireball. Now, I've seen some fireballs watching Memphis wrestling with Jerry Lawler and Eddie Gilbert, and some of those have looked pretty good. But this is on another level. I don't know what Jody Hamilton did that made his so much better but the guy threw a hell of a fireball. I didn't mention it about the last show, but there was a clip of him throwing a fireball from that episode and it was also really good looking.

So anyway, Bullet gets hit by the fireball but he barely even sells the damn thing as he's up on his feet and fine about a minute later after Steve Armstrong makes the save with a chair. Come on Bob, I want to like you but you're killing me here.

Jerry Stubbs cuts a good promo about how he beat the crap out of Frankie Lancaster last week and now he's looking for revenge on Brad Armstrong for "saving" him. I still dispute that, by the way. Brad Armstrong & Jerry Stubbs have a good match for the Continental title. The finish has the ref get bumped and Frankie Lancaster comes out to wake him up. Stubbs gets distracted by it and Armstrong rolls him up to win the title. Then Stubbs attacks Lancaster before Brad makes an ACTUAL save this time.

Tim Horner has a match against some guy while Roy Lee Welch does commentary. I continue to love this storyline. Roy Lee Welch does a great job putting over the storyline. Welch was the U.S. Junior Champion before suffering (I think) a legit knee injury. All I know is his injury was announced sometime in the shows I watched in January and he just made his return in June. Anyway, he's pissed that Tim Horner gets a shot at the World Junior Champion Denny Brown when he never beat Welch for the U.S. Junior Title. Welch lets us know that, obviously, anything Horner does in this match he can do better.

Main event is Jimmy Golden & Robert Fuller beating Steve Armstrong & Tommy Rich for the tag titles. Didn't do much for me but I did enjoy Fuller & Golden's promo afterwards.

enkTLY.gif

Watched the first Continental TV show in July. Show starts with former champs Tommy Rich and Steve Armstrong having a long squash match against The Invader and my new favorite jobber name, Snake Brown.

Then we get a promo from Frankie Lancaster swearing revenge on Jerry Stubbs for giving him the brainbuster on the floor. He's stumbling all over himself in this promo. Continental has a lot of good promo guys, but they are almost exclusively all on the heel side. 50 year old Bullet Bob Armstrong is the only babyface who can talk. And maybe Tommy Rich but I really haven't been interested in any of his stuff so far. All the young Armstrongs, Brad, Steve, Scott, Wendell Cooley, Tim Horner, Frankie Lancaster, none of the young babyfaces can cut a promo.

Tim Horner defends the U.S. Junior Title against Roy Lee Welch. Welch grabs the mic before the match and asks Tim Horner if he's SURE this is a title match, going back to their non title match 2 weeks ago where he swore before the match that Horner told him it would be a title match. Horner hits a cross body on Welch and the momentum and Welch uses the momentum to roll on top of Horner and they wind up landing with Welch's feet on the ropes for the pin. The ref counts 3 but saw Welch's feet on the ropes and call it off, but Welch has already grabbed the title from the announcer's table and is celebrating in the ring. Horner then comes from behind and rolls him up for the pin. I'm already anticipating Welch's promo next week about the injustice of it all. Roy Lee Welch then beats him down with the Junior Title after the match and leaves with the belt. That crossbody into the pin with Welch's feet on the ropes looked really good, and I totally thought that was going to be the finish.

We get an Adrian Street/Wendell Cooley match and I can not express to you how disappointed I am that they seem to have already retired that Wildcat jacket. Now he's coming out in a Cowboy hat with "If Heaven Ain't a Lot Like Texas" as his entrance music. Adrian Street's "Imagine What I Could Do To You" is a real underrated wrestling entrance theme. Street looks like he doesn't know what to do during his entrance without Linda there. Street wins the match when Linda shows up at the end to trip Cooley on a suplex allowing Street to fall on top and pin him. I love Street's character but I've never seen him have a memorable match.

Cooley & Street cut promos afterwards to build up a match in Columbus with Linda handcuffed to Cooley's brother. Cooley says he doesn't have the pink belt because it's "under recontruction" and for some reason I was thoroughly amused by Street's line about Cooley "Ever since I put a dress on him he's been acting just like a female dog."  

The show ends with Roy Lee Welch saying he thought he won the match and that's why he left with the belt, but as soon as he was told that Tim Horner actually won he went to return the belt to him. But it was missing! There's a thief running around, someone went into his dressing room and stole the belt. I really love Roy Lee Welch in this feud. Tim Horner comes out and attacks Welch and the show ends with them brawling and Gordon calling for someone to come break it up.

9vxVwy.gif

5J0quG.gif

Man why has nobody ever told me about Don Frye vs. Kawada? That was awesome. Don does a great job of making Kawada look like a legit shooter in a pro context and it makes me wonder about the matches both could have had in UWFi, RINGS, etc. I've never seen Don work a match but he's great with his shit-talking, offense and selling. The sleeper being thrown out as a choke was so old school Verne Gagne would have applauded.

I fucking love that Regal/Hash match so much. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jli79QuyR6c&app=desktop

This day will either be incredibly spectacular or horribly disappointing but either way I got to watch this. 10 minutes of guys just ripping into each other, trying to tear arms and legs out of socket, blasting each other with total hatred, just not giving a fuck about anything but winning. Any time you get to see Murakami and Ishikawa in the ring against each other (even NOT against each other for that matter), you should take it. Segunda Caida always delivers the goods. 

I had to rewatch the match above I liked it so much. Inoue as the Dim of the match, the grinning bulldog that comes in to save his master, is perfect. When that fucker ends you KNOW it's over. I don't think it's that unrealistic that they might have been putting on a show for a Yakuza clan and the young, greasy kobun were there to proffer daps to them in the beginning. Or they could just be that hardcore. 

Here is the Don Frye/Toshiaki Kawada match I mentioned before; couldn't post the link cause I was on my phone at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscJbUwuGuM

America's Most Wanted versus Team Canada from TNA Final Resolution '05.

Super match, that ends up being merely good because of all the overbooking nonsense at the end. I wanted to love this match, the wrestlers wanted me to love this match, but TNA was bound and determined that I not love the match. The five minute span of repeated interference, the false finishes off of interference, and the actual finish as a result of interference, it's all just too much and takes a spiffy tag match and makes it was yell spiffy. If this is what I'm in for when it comes to TNA's "best matches" then I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed.

America's Most Wanted versus Team Canada from TNA Final Resolution '05.

Super match, that ends up being merely good because of all the overbooking nonsense at the end. I wanted to love this match, the wrestlers wanted me to love this match, but TNA was bound and determined that I not love the match. The five minute span of repeated interference, the false finishes off of interference, and the actual finish as a result of interference, it's all just too much and takes a spiffy tag match and makes it was yell spiffy. If this is what I'm in for when it comes to TNA's "best matches" then I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed.

"I wanted to love this match, the wrestlers wanted me to love this match, but TNA was bound and determined that I not love the match."

Stealing this line for a sig.

• Like 1

I'm watching the amazing 5-on-5 Gauntlet match from New Japan in '84 (sadly not on Youtube) and thinking: why couldn't WWE steal this idea? Shield/Bryan/Sheamus vs. Wyatts/Real Americans maybe. They could shorten the period of eliminations, have interference, whatever, but it would KILL.

Watched this 60-minute classic after reading Meltzer's bio on Robinson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtjpW8pR3HY

The intensity in this match is amazing. Watching them go hold for hold and then Robinson slapping the SHIT out of Inoki really hooked me and then watching them trying to stretch each other until they started going for the double underhooks, I love the way it all played out.

• Like 1

on tonight's Nitro, DDP faced Lance Ringo. who, as i googled it to find video, turns out to be Sick Boy from Raven's WCW Flock. anyway, thought it was hilarious that this never-before-seen dude comes out with the Kimberly playboy mag. not a way of making a good impression on the guy you're debuting against.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xas452_ddp-vs-lance-ringo-sick-boy_sport

on tonight's Raw, Bret Hart interrupted an Owen/Bulldog European title match to begin the reformation of the Hart Foundation. touching moment. not sure if Lawler's tears are legit or not, but it's pretty obvious that Owen's are.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f2fw_bret-hart-reunites-hart-foundation_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVvPiNvOEyM

La Fiera and Jerry Estrada chained together in a falling-apart ring in Monterrey. Fiera wipes the blood off Jerry's head and licks his hand. This being lucha, they figure out how to fit a tope into a chain match.

The match where Jerry is so fucked up that he slips on the apron and slams his head into the post. Watching him move is so surreal, you can tell he has no business being in there but he still manages to hit most of his spots pretty well. Props to Fiera for carrying his dumb ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-bPKYdZhU

This match will remind you why Rick Rude was tremendous. His selling in this is off the chain. Then again, when Shinya Hashimoto is kicking you in the back and the ribs, that isn't hard. Some good old fashioned US heel work comes into play and there is a top-rope DDT that looks like murder. Hash's nose gets busted early and for some reason he doesn't take Rude and absolutely break him in half which is a tribute to his character. Now I'm gonna have to go watch the Rude/Hase match from the same G1 Climax again...