DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

If you were in charge, why would the fuck you want to cater to DB's fan base? They are innately negative and there's nothing you could to do make them happy. There's no evidence to prove they are spending a decent amount of money to support him, outside of being duped on a internet/cable package that the whole home uses for other things.

Because DB's fanbase is an older leaning demographic. They are also a highly engaged demographic. Chances are they make up a very large percentage of the WWE Network domestic base.

You can talk about Cenas merch sales or Reigns pops at house shows all you want, but the health of the future of the company is based on WWE Network subscriptions. 8-year olds don't have credit cards or salaries. When I was 8 my parents would never let me order a ppv. It was unthinkable.  On a good day I was allowed to rent Hulkamania Forever for the 100th time at my public library. 

I wonder how much of this is true? I wish WWE would do a poll on their Network subscribers to see who they all are and what they all like. I mean I would rather watch Roman Reigns or Rusev or Finn Balor or John Cena than Daniel Bryan. But I know I'm an outlier when it comes to the topic of Daniel Bryan

I like Bryan and *I* want him to retire because I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about him and his fans.

Further, I don't even see how you could say you like the guy and then say something so fucking dumb to follow that up. Gee, maybe people wouldn't complain if WWE didn't incubate the WWE Universe with social media giving their fans a voice and then turn right the fuck around, and for two years straight, try to shove something we didn't want down our throats.

In the case of this year, not only did they shove Reigns down our throats, they removed anything remotely positive or organic about him because Vince had to get involved. Had Reigns maintained the same build as he had last year, which was slow and steady, it probably wouldn't have matter. It also didn't help that they had him losing to Rollins, looking weak against Kane and/or Big Show, taking a virtual nap during the Royal Rumble, cutting awful and forced promos, etc. Maybe, and stick with me here, but maybe if they kept him as the Superman ass kicker, he wouldn't have received this backlash.

This also isn't just fans speaking out, it's guys in the business. Austin and JR both think this is hot garbage.

And what about all of the other bullshit? The shitty build between Sting and HHH? Yes, I guess Daniel Bryan's negative fans are to blame and we should just accept it. Same goes for the absolute mess that is the IC title angle. Or the complete disinterest in the tag titles. In fact, one of the lone bright spots is Rusev and Cena, but WWE has also bred a culture of cynicism with having Cena go over all the fucking time, so why get that emotionally invested in Rusev vs Cena? And I don't even think Rusev is that great!

The bullshit is just starting to get pretty thick.

Because it's what he enjoys doing and many enjoy watching him do it. How hard is that to understand? The world doesn't revolve around you or me or the internet community and that goes both ways. "Oh, there are some people on the internet arguing over my spot in WWE. GUESS I SHOULD RETIRE!"

• Like 3

His neck is fine. For fuck's sake. People need to get off of that already.

If we're going to follow that logic, then no one should wrestle unless they'll be healthy and unless they'll be doing something worthwhile.

You're know what's completely fucking awesome? It's awesome that Daniel Bryan OWNED both matches of the night at last year's WrestleMania, not to mention that he's even in the WWE. Yeah, it sucks that he's in this spot now, but will he always be in that spot? No. People have mentioned it before, but look at Eddy. Eddy was a multiple time WWE champion. He fucking beat Brock and for anyone who says Bryan beating Brock wouldn't be believable, go back and watch Eddy vs Brock. That match is the template for the little guy beating Brock. Anyway, I digress. Point is, this part of Bryan's career blows, but mainly, the entire IC angle blows because it lacks any direction. It's just another match to get a bunch of dude's a WrestleMania payday. Who is to say though, that he won't be main eventing SummerSlam? That alone is reason enough for the guy to not retire.

I like Bryan and *I* want him to retire because I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about him and his fans.

Further, I don't even see how you could say you like the guy and then say something so fucking dumb to follow that up. Gee, maybe people wouldn't complain if WWE didn't incubate the WWE Universe with social media giving their fans a voice and then turn right the fuck around, and for two years straight, try to shove something we didn't want down our throats.

In the case of this year, not only did they shove Reigns down our throats, they removed anything remotely positive or organic about him because Vince had to get involved. Had Reigns maintained the same build as he had last year, which was slow and steady, it probably wouldn't have matter. It also didn't help that they had him losing to Rollins, looking weak against Kane and/or Big Show, taking a virtual nap during the Royal Rumble, cutting awful and forced promos, etc. Maybe, and stick with me here, but maybe if they kept him as the Superman ass kicker, he wouldn't have received this backlash.

This also isn't just fans speaking out, it's guys in the business. Austin and JR both think this is hot garbage.

The bullshit is just starting to get pretty thick.

The only way Roman Reigns would not have gotten the backlash he currently has is if Daniel Bryan announced he is making progress but unfortunately he will not be able to wrestle full-time again until April 6th. The moment Daniel Bryan announced he was coming back was the moment everything the company planned was DOA and due to last year's fiasco with the vocal fans they pretty much needed to do the same thing again. The bigger problem with the Rumble was there was stories to be told with Bryan that actually happened but the announce crew didn't sell it properly nor did they tell the right tale. Daniel Bryan was the only one who needed the two biggest heels on the roster to defeat him. Daniel Bryan also has been unable to beat Bray Wyatt since last year's Rumble. When you tell those two stories together you have a set plan for Daniel Bryan. Sure the live crowd would've boo'd the shit out of the Rumble, but Daniel Bryan having a set program with a man who can carry him in the promo department might have lessened the Reigns hate.

Also you're confusing the two issues on whether or not Reigns should've won and how should Reigns have been booked. Austin, JR, Jericho, Cornette don't think Roman Reigns shouldn't have won the Rumble, they all think he should've been booked better in the Rumble. That's the disconnect. The guys in the business don't think Reigns is nearly as bad as some of the fans do.

Your last line is spot on though

If we're going to follow that logic, then no one should wrestle unless they'll be healthy and unless they'll be doing something worthwhile.

You're know what's completely fucking awesome? It's awesome that Daniel Bryan OWNED both matches of the night at last year's WrestleMania, not to mention that he's even in the WWE. Yeah, it sucks that he's in this spot now, but will he always be in that spot? No. People have mentioned it before, but look at Eddy. Eddy was a multiple time WWE champion. He fucking beat Brock and for anyone who says Bryan beating Brock wouldn't be believable, go back and watch Eddy vs Brock. That match is the template for the little guy beating Brock. Anyway, I digress. Point is, this part of Bryan's career blows, but mainly, the entire IC angle blows because it lacks any direction. It's just another match to get a bunch of dude's a WrestleMania payday. Who is to say though, that he won't be main eventing SummerSlam? That alone is reason enough for the guy to not retire.

Eddie held the belt once. For about three months till he dropped it to JBL. Also Eddie needed Goldberg attacking Lesnar in order for Eddie to win. So the gameplan for Bryan to beat Lesnar would have Reigns attacking Lesnar during the match.

BTW the only two smaller guys to be multiple time WWE champions are Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan.

That's a bunch of fucking nonsense too and a completely shortsighted view of how crowd's were responding to Reigns' singles run LAST YEAR. As in a couple Raws after Payback until he was shelved in September. Roman Reigns buildup is the very definition of getting force fed and no one likes that shit. If Bryan didn't come back until after WrestleMania then people would still shit all over Brock vs Reigns.

As was said earlier, last year they very much listened to the fans, this year, they're following their agenda only. 

If you were in charge, why would the fuck you want to cater to DB's fan base? They are innately negative and there's nothing you could to do make them happy.

Here's Ebbie being the least self-aware person posting here, and considering that I also post here, that is saying something.

• Like 3

The backlash didn't truly start until Bryan was eliminated from the Rumble.  If they had kept Bryan off TV until after the Rumble(maybe even after Mania), maybe Lesnar-Reigns would be going over a whole lot better.

As far as I'm concerned, Bryan could lose to Zack Ryder tomorrow and the most I could muster would be "Oh well".

That's a bunch of fucking nonsense too and a completely shortsighted view of how crowd's were responding to Reigns' singles run LAST YEAR. As in a couple Raws after Payback until he was shelved in September. Roman Reigns buildup is the very definition of getting force fed and no one likes that shit. If Bryan didn't come back until after WrestleMania then people would still shit all over Brock vs Reigns.

As was said earlier, last year they very much listened to the fans, this year, they're following their agenda only. 

I think we watched two different WWE's from 2014 till the Royal Rumble because I remember Roman Reigns doing well with the crowd up until it was obvious he was winning the Royal Rumble AND Daniel Bryan was going to be in the Rumble

• Like 1

Eddie held the belt once. For about three months till he dropped it to JBL. Also Eddie needed Goldberg attacking Lesnar in order for Eddie to win. So the gameplan for Bryan to beat Lesnar would have Reigns attacking Lesnar during the match.

BTW the only two smaller guys to be multiple time WWE champions are Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan.

And Shawn Michaels. And Bret Hart was considered a smaller guy during his run (even though he'd be considered as a larger guy during this time). Depending on your definition of small, CM Punk is another. And Chris Jericho. And Jeff Hardy.

• Like 1

I think we watched two different WWE's from 2014 till the Royal Rumble because I remember Roman Reigns doing well with the crowd up until it was obvious he was winning the Royal Rumble AND Daniel Bryan was going to be in the Rumble

Judging by your other repeated lapses in memory, you're probably right. You did watch and remember a different version of WWE's 2014 than what the vast majority recalls.

Suffering succotash...

And Shawn Michaels. And Bret Hart was considered a smaller guy during his run (even though he'd be considered as a larger guy during this time). Depending on your definition of small, CM Punk is another. And Chris Jericho. And Jeff Hardy.

I should've said modern era and I should've said who are kayfabe < 6' (Shawn, Hardy, Bret, Punk all billed as 6'2". Jericho was billed as 6')

Now kids, let's play nice... Reigns singles push was doing very well until DB announced his return. For some reason, WWE fans can't seem to stand the idea of having more than one guy at the top. Which, we must say is incredibly short-sighted, if you don't have multiple top guys you're in a situation where you have to bring in the monster of the month as you did in the Hogan era, or constantly have questionable wins in your title matches. There's a tremendous advantage in having five or six guys being sold as "on any given night he could be world champ". Booking 101, folks.

• Like 2

I can't remember how well his push was doing. He had those matches with Orton; did they have crowd heat? People here weren't excited about them, generally speaking.

Then, he got hurt. I feel like getting hurt really de-railed him because a) he lost important development time to get over with the crowd/up to speed as a singles in main-event/semi-main matches and b) he came back right when Bryan did, and the crowds heavily favored Bryan. My perception could be wrong, though.

I agree that the backlash truly didn't go into full swing until the Rumble. At the Rumble three things happened; (1) Bryan got eliminated in a ridiculous manner, (2) Reigns won and was not going to headline Mania, and (3) Reigns was going to face Brock and was positioned to beat him. 

The Bryan thing was really only a part of it. I think that's what gets lost. Prior to the Rumble, Reigns was being met with increasing indifference. Watch those Reigns injury comeback segments when he was out. Listen to those crowds. Those were not big pops. That wasn't "we're not happy he's headlining mania" indifference, that was, we're not super excited about this guy right now indifference.

Take Bryan out of the equation and there is still a backlash. Maybe not a big, but there is still a backlash.

I enjoy his matches.  I just no longer hold any expectations of him getting a run with the belt. 

And that, for some reason, means he should retire? Should everyone but Cena, Rollins and Reigns also retire?

People really remember little about post-Payback Reigns until his surgery in September. His two biggest highs came with the last time he teamed up with Dean where Dean had more momentum behind him and when people cheered Reigns over Cena, because you know, that never happens. Shit, even the evil Russian gets cheered when next to Cena. Beyond that, he treaded water and did little of note until he came back and then Vince put the pedal to the metal on the hype machine, which was when you had the awful promos, 50/50 booking that did not help Reigns at all, Reigns doing fuck all in the Royal Rumble taking long extended breaks, but I guess all of that was due to Daniel Bryan not being the guy...

If Bryan's neck is as fragile as people think it is, then why risk long-term mobility?

There's also the hypocrisy of people saying he shouldn't wrestle Brock due to the injury risk, but putting him in a much less dangerous(*cough*) multi-way ladder schmozz instead.