DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

Honestly haven't thought much about it.  Now that Lesnar is seemingly confirmed to be staying (I wouldn't put it past WWE to try to SWERVE~! people), there's no immediate need to take the belt off Brock.

Also, I don't see Bryan in the WWE Title picture ever again.  Just being realistic.

Also, I don't see Bryan in the WWE Title picture ever again.  Just being realistic.

He'll definitely compete for it again, and there's a decent chance he'll win it. I see him following the same booking path as Eddie.

On the Mania/post-Mania front, what happens to Seth Rollins? The MITB case loses a lot of value if the champ is only tv a handful of times per year, both in kayfabe and real life, and they're running out of time to address this issue. I'm not really seeing a good scenario for him or the credibility of MITB if Lesnar retains.

Patrick B., on 25 Mar 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

P.S. Why would they push Sami Zayn?

Maybe because he's the best baby face in wrestling, cuts good promos, and is one of the best workers on the planet. Then again Vince may not like his face, and he could shake John Cena's hand wrong or some shit.

Then fine.  He'll be done soon enough and everyone here will have what they want.

Yeah, because we're just itching to see someone get permanently injured.

If Reigns does win Sunday--a big if at this point--he goes heel, yes?  I know all this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm trying to keep things straight in my oversaturated mind.

If Reigns turns heel then Rollins has to turn face right? When was the last time a person cashed in MITB on a person of the same alignment? 

Brock wins, Rollins cashes in, and Brock spends the next few months getting murderous revenge against Seth.  Meanwhile, Rollins becomes Honky Tonk Man '15, using every trick in the book to keep the title until Bryan Boma Ye's the ever-living fuck out of him in Brooklyn in August.

It's simple.  

Then fine.  He'll be done soon enough and everyone here will have what they want.

Yeah, because we're just itching to see someone get permanently injured.

If Reigns does win Sunday--a big if at this point--he goes heel, yes?  I know all this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm trying to keep things straight in my oversaturated mind.

If Reigns turns heel then Rollins has to turn face right? When was the last time a person cashed in MITB on a person of the same alignment? 

OH... and Duh...

Thanks for the history lesson...I honestly forgot about those. Which is funny because I've said if Reigns doesn't win on Sunday he's gonna be a new version of Jack Swagger, someone who had his shot, couldn't do anything with it and will never get it again

I don't see any reason why they would put the belt on Bryan again.  He could compete for it, but I don't see him winning it.

P.S. Why would they push Sami Zayn?

I actually see multiple title reigns for Bryan. Even after everything I honestly believe that. Bryans road will have a lot of parallels to Bret Harts. I don't think Vince ever wanted Bret as the center of the promotion. He tried over and over again to push other people but it never really worked out. Bret was always there, putting in solid work and over as a face.

Think about what the next 2-3 years look like.  Cena has to start slowing down and moving more into the special attraction stage of his career. Brock is never around. Who is going to be the major face in the WWE? The Reigns experiment so far has failed. My guess is Vince will try to give a Reigns style push to someone else with the hope it takes. Eventually, he will reluctantly return to Bryan because he has no other choice. 

I get amused by the twists and turns we take on here sometimes ... Daniel Bryan: One of the best wrestlers in the world, "hopefully he'll just fucking retire because we're sick of hearing about him."

There's a word for that, isn't there?

Probably several ...

• Like 1

If you were in charge, why would the fuck you want to cater to DB's fan base? They are innately negative and there's nothing you could to do make them happy. There's no evidence to prove they are spending a decent amount of money to support him, outside of being duped on a internet/cable package that the whole home uses for other things.

If you were in charge, why would the fuck you want to cater to DB's fan base?

Because they're a large majority of your paying customers?

Seriously, the guy main-evented Mania last year because every crowd they played to demanded that. How deeply do you have to bury your head to be able to pretend that "DB's fan base" is some tiny ROH-following cadre?

• Like 4

If you were in charge, why would the fuck you want to cater to DB's fan base? They are innately negative and there's nothing you could to do make them happy. There's no evidence to prove they are spending a decent amount of money to support him, outside of being duped on a internet/cable package that the whole home uses for other things.

Because DB's fanbase is an older leaning demographic. They are also a highly engaged demographic. Chances are they make up a very large percentage of the WWE Network domestic base.

You can talk about Cenas merch sales or Reigns pops at house shows all you want, but the health of the future of the company is based on WWE Network subscriptions. 8-year olds don't have credit cards or salaries. When I was 8 my parents would never let me order a ppv. It was unthinkable.  On a good day I was allowed to rent Hulkamania Forever for the 100th time at my public library. 

Because DB's fanbase is an older leaning demographic. They are also a highly engaged demographic. Chances are they make up a very large percentage of the WWE Network domestic base.

You can talk about Cenas merch sales or Reigns pops at house shows all you want, but the health of the future of the company is based on WWE Network subscriptions. 8-year olds don't have credit cards or salaries. When I was 8 my parents would never let me order a ppv. It was unthinkable.  On a good day I was allowed to rent Hulkamania Forever for the 100th time at my public library. 

I wonder how much of this is true? I wish WWE would do a poll on their Network subscribers to see who they all are and what they all like. I mean I would rather watch Roman Reigns or Rusev or Finn Balor or John Cena than Daniel Bryan. But I know I'm an outlier when it comes to the topic of Daniel Bryan

I like Bryan and *I* want him to retire because I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about him and his fans.

Further, I don't even see how you could say you like the guy and then say something so fucking dumb to follow that up. Gee, maybe people wouldn't complain if WWE didn't incubate the WWE Universe with social media giving their fans a voice and then turn right the fuck around, and for two years straight, try to shove something we didn't want down our throats.

In the case of this year, not only did they shove Reigns down our throats, they removed anything remotely positive or organic about him because Vince had to get involved. Had Reigns maintained the same build as he had last year, which was slow and steady, it probably wouldn't have matter. It also didn't help that they had him losing to Rollins, looking weak against Kane and/or Big Show, taking a virtual nap during the Royal Rumble, cutting awful and forced promos, etc. Maybe, and stick with me here, but maybe if they kept him as the Superman ass kicker, he wouldn't have received this backlash.

This also isn't just fans speaking out, it's guys in the business. Austin and JR both think this is hot garbage.

And what about all of the other bullshit? The shitty build between Sting and HHH? Yes, I guess Daniel Bryan's negative fans are to blame and we should just accept it. Same goes for the absolute mess that is the IC title angle. Or the complete disinterest in the tag titles. In fact, one of the lone bright spots is Rusev and Cena, but WWE has also bred a culture of cynicism with having Cena go over all the fucking time, so why get that emotionally invested in Rusev vs Cena? And I don't even think Rusev is that great!

The bullshit is just starting to get pretty thick.

Because it's what he enjoys doing and many enjoy watching him do it. How hard is that to understand? The world doesn't revolve around you or me or the internet community and that goes both ways. "Oh, there are some people on the internet arguing over my spot in WWE. GUESS I SHOULD RETIRE!"

• Like 3

His neck is fine. For fuck's sake. People need to get off of that already.

If we're going to follow that logic, then no one should wrestle unless they'll be healthy and unless they'll be doing something worthwhile.

You're know what's completely fucking awesome? It's awesome that Daniel Bryan OWNED both matches of the night at last year's WrestleMania, not to mention that he's even in the WWE. Yeah, it sucks that he's in this spot now, but will he always be in that spot? No. People have mentioned it before, but look at Eddy. Eddy was a multiple time WWE champion. He fucking beat Brock and for anyone who says Bryan beating Brock wouldn't be believable, go back and watch Eddy vs Brock. That match is the template for the little guy beating Brock. Anyway, I digress. Point is, this part of Bryan's career blows, but mainly, the entire IC angle blows because it lacks any direction. It's just another match to get a bunch of dude's a WrestleMania payday. Who is to say though, that he won't be main eventing SummerSlam? That alone is reason enough for the guy to not retire.

I like Bryan and *I* want him to retire because I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about him and his fans.

Further, I don't even see how you could say you like the guy and then say something so fucking dumb to follow that up. Gee, maybe people wouldn't complain if WWE didn't incubate the WWE Universe with social media giving their fans a voice and then turn right the fuck around, and for two years straight, try to shove something we didn't want down our throats.

In the case of this year, not only did they shove Reigns down our throats, they removed anything remotely positive or organic about him because Vince had to get involved. Had Reigns maintained the same build as he had last year, which was slow and steady, it probably wouldn't have matter. It also didn't help that they had him losing to Rollins, looking weak against Kane and/or Big Show, taking a virtual nap during the Royal Rumble, cutting awful and forced promos, etc. Maybe, and stick with me here, but maybe if they kept him as the Superman ass kicker, he wouldn't have received this backlash.

This also isn't just fans speaking out, it's guys in the business. Austin and JR both think this is hot garbage.

The bullshit is just starting to get pretty thick.

The only way Roman Reigns would not have gotten the backlash he currently has is if Daniel Bryan announced he is making progress but unfortunately he will not be able to wrestle full-time again until April 6th. The moment Daniel Bryan announced he was coming back was the moment everything the company planned was DOA and due to last year's fiasco with the vocal fans they pretty much needed to do the same thing again. The bigger problem with the Rumble was there was stories to be told with Bryan that actually happened but the announce crew didn't sell it properly nor did they tell the right tale. Daniel Bryan was the only one who needed the two biggest heels on the roster to defeat him. Daniel Bryan also has been unable to beat Bray Wyatt since last year's Rumble. When you tell those two stories together you have a set plan for Daniel Bryan. Sure the live crowd would've boo'd the shit out of the Rumble, but Daniel Bryan having a set program with a man who can carry him in the promo department might have lessened the Reigns hate.

Also you're confusing the two issues on whether or not Reigns should've won and how should Reigns have been booked. Austin, JR, Jericho, Cornette don't think Roman Reigns shouldn't have won the Rumble, they all think he should've been booked better in the Rumble. That's the disconnect. The guys in the business don't think Reigns is nearly as bad as some of the fans do.

Your last line is spot on though