DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact 7/11/2012

I felt pretty good about this episode.  The lethal lottery-style theme made for predictable pairings but it was still fun.  We had Sabin cash in and do a better than expected promo.  We had Taz freaking out over Rampage joining the Main Event Mafia.  And best of all, that goddamn awesome ladder match with Gail and Taryn.  It wasn't full of "ZOMG lots of moves off the ladder!" spots as it was them wisely using the ladder as a weapon.  The way Gail especially would navigate around that was really impressive.  I enjoyed this more than than the ones full of insane falls off ladders.  Felt more like Shawn/Razor where while it wasn't as good the style was similar in a sense to that.

As of right now Taryn Terrell really should be up for consideration in the Most Improved category.  She wasn't that good in WWE, but since joining TNA and being a wrestler I'm shocked at how good she got. The angle with Gail has been one of my favorites in TNA, and the two big matches they had have been sooooooo good.  What really hit me was the emotion she showed.  She was great in showing her knee hurting, and it destroyed her to not win the match.  She comes across as somebody that despite her looks has no problem destroying herself to beat Gail.  So yeah, big fan of hers right now.

• Like 1

Despite creative on that show being rotten, there are things I like every week that make me want to watch it.  The Gail Kim/Taryn stuff is included....what I don't like are really ANY of the vignettes or angles that Hogan's involved in.

Any Hogan for that matter.  Goodness gracious, Brooke is godawful.  She did a better job in 2-Headed Shark Attack than seemingly anything she's done in TNA.  But with the good stuff mentioned before I'm willing to overlook that.

The Gail Kim/Taryn ladder match shows that if you book women more like the men, and not as angry teenage school girls fighting over boys, then people will care. Seriously, this feud started over Gail Kim snapping, and giving the other Knockouts ring post Figure-fours. Pretty much a simple wrestling feud. Unlike what we have with the cringeworthy Kaitlyn/AJ secret admirer feud that seems to go on forever. 

• Like 1

I don't watch TNA all the time so this might not be anything groundbreaking, but Taz is just hideous on commentary. I was fine with him playing the straight color commentator, but as the Aces & Eights shill he's just cringeworthy bad. Like, almost as bad as 2013 Jerry Lawler. And that's bad.

I echo the "Taz is awful" thing. Dude just totally sucks me out of the broadcast.

I still haven't seen the first Gail/Taryn match but really enjoyed last night's. It did, for the most part seem like a fight and even the stuff that was carefully choreographed stunt show work didn't go the way I expected it to. In 2013, we're enjoying ladder matches with Tiffany. Still can't get over it.

I appreciate TNA making it's gimmicks and stuff part of the shows even though they're doing less PPV's. Stuff like Destination X being a TV special and Joker's Wild being used on a show should be good for the random longtime TNA fan. That one guy's gonna be thrilled.

I don't know how I feel about Magnus yet. I get that TNA is starting to give him the push but it's really very zero to sixty out of nowhere. It jars me a bit. Then again, he's beaten Roode twice. Maybe he's just got his number? We'll see what they do with it.

Whoever laid out the ladder match gets the gold star from me because that was great. Lots of creative spots including the awesome finish... like night and day from what passes for women's wrestling up north.

• Like 3

Just watched the ladder match, pretty much everything from the ladder-assisted figure four leg lock was really good stuff. Outside of the leg lock, I really liked the dragon sleeper off of the ladder and Taryn's dive off of the top, which was a great and really logical spot to boot. Finish was pretty damn good too, nice and creative. I've not seen their highly praised PPV match, but I think I'm gonna have to go back and give it a watch.

I enjoyed the ladder match as well. It wasn't as good as their Last Man Standing Match but think about how absurd it is that I am even structuring a sentence like that involving ECW GM tiffany. She really has improved a ton. Gail was always awesome and how awesome is Mickie as the top heel right now? 

I agree that the Kaitlyn/AJ segments have been bad but I DID enjoy their match at Payback and Kaitlyn hit a nice spear on AJ on the floor this past week. I really want to see them get 10+ minutes on Money in the Bank because I feel like they have the ability to put on a nice performance if given time..

The gauntlet match was pretty cool, AJ Styles really needs to drop this Chris Gaines gimmick already.

I'm probably to only idiot on here that got that, but I spit out my soda...that was funny.

That gimmick is horrible and doesn't work for him.  He needs to go back to the humorless guy that shouldn't talk bur wrestles his ass off.

Fuck, I hate country music for the most part and I remember Chris Gaines.

Only other thing I have to add is to the announcer hate:

"Well I guess Bobby Roode had to be next...considering he's the last man."-Tenay

Tenay and Tazz barely even call the match, they spend 90% of the time bickering about MEM and Aces and Eights.  It's fucking pathetic.Ladder match was surprisingly good.  I'd never actually seen Taryn Terrell, yet at this point I'd say she's probably the strongest face they have in Knockouts division.  Why exactly are all of the best workers (Mickie, Gail, maybe Tara) heels?Not sure I understand the point of Magnus aligning with MEM just as he's starting to break out and look like a main eventer in his own right.  Rather than carve out his own niche and blaze a trail, he's basically the junior member of the stable.Fuck all of the Hogan-related bullshit.  That forearm tattoo is some embarrassing midlife crisis in action if I've ever seen it.TNA does this thing with me on a regular basis, where I'll stop watching for a year or so, then out of boredom check it out and get momentarily caught up in the potential of some of the things that are almost clicking.  Of course, soon thereafter they'll fuck it up with their obsession to mirror the trajectory and booking philosophy of WCW at the end as it circled the drain.  Damn it all.

Fuck all of the Hogan-related bullshit.  That forearm tattoo is some embarrassing midlife crisis in action if I've ever seen it. 

To be fair, his saggy "Immortal" tattoo on his back is threatening to become a tramp stamp if it sinks any lower...

Despite creative on that show being rotten, there are things I like every week that make me want to watch it. 

That is my feeling about TNA in a nutshell.  The roster is loaded with talent, it the show is entertaining almost in spite of itself. If someone was in charge that knew what they were doing, it would be amazing.

Ladder match was surprisingly good.  I'd never actually seen Taryn Terrell, yet at this point I'd say she's probably the strongest face they have in Knockouts division.  Why exactly are all of the best workers (Mickie, Gail, maybe Tara) heels?

The best workers should always be heels, because they lead the match.  It is hard for a babyface to lead a match while taking the heat. 

Yeah, watched the ladder match, some tremendous stuff there, really good.  Liked Sabin at the end, pointing out Bully's errors.  Magnus continues to impress me.  There is a definite core of greatness on the roster.

Aces and Eights though, yeesh.  Who really cares if Doc or Anderson are the VP?  It just seems to be plodding along each week until Bully comes out to shout at Hogan for 10 minutes at the end of each show.

At this point they need to just wholescale rip off Sons of Anarchy storylines for it to work, like bring back Elijah Burke as D'Angelo Pope, Gang Leader or hire Prince Devitt as the leader of Aces and Eights:Belfast or bring back LAX and have Aces&8's cut deals with Konnan or Homicide to bring "shipments" over the border.  They could mix it all up with having TNA officials try to cut a deal with one of the members to turn on the club. 

I have never understood the logic behind the big stables like aces & 8s. In theory every pro wrestlers dream is to be world champion right? So why are all those guys content to keep taking ass whippings just so Bully can keep the title? Its why ive always hated stables. I remember as a kid wondering why the hell Tully and Arn never bitched about Flair always getting the title shots.

To be clear I am not on any way comparing A&8 to the horsemen. To quote Pulp Fiction "It aint in the same league. Aint in the same ballpark, aint even the same motherfucking sport"

I have never understood the logic behind the big stables like aces & 8s. In theory every pro wrestlers dream is to be world champion right? So why are all those guys content to keep taking ass whippings just so Bully can keep the title? Its why ive always hated stables. I remember as a kid wondering why the hell Tully and Arn never bitched about Flair always getting the title shots.

Well, with the Horsemen at least, they came together at a time when Flair was already the NWA champion, and the other Horsemen held gold.  Tully was the US Champion, which was Mid-Atlantic's top title, and the Andersons were the National Tag Champions - the top tag titles in the NWA.  The idea wasn't that the Horsemen's goal was to keep Flair champion, it was to get all of the top main event stars in the NWA in one stable... obstensibly so that Dusty could book himself over all of them. 

When the initial purpose of the Horsemen was over (Dusty beating Flair at the '86 Bash), the "goal" of the goup pretty much switched to holding all of the belts, and keeping the NWA belt with Flair. The kayfabe purpose of the group was that the champions got the best paydays from having title matches and working in the main events - and the Horsemen were always in the title mix because of excellence. 

As someone who grew up with the Horsemen and watched it evolve, I always understood that Arn was Flair's best friend, and it was in his best interests financially to make sure Flair stayed the champ - thus he was the enforcer.  Arn was Tom Hagan, they guy that did the dirty work. 

I always saw the Bret-Owen rivalry as the polar opposite end of the spectrum - where two people that could have had the world as their oyster if they worked together, couldn't put away their sibling rivalry and fought instead. 

Garrett Bischoff appears to be trying to look like a skinny Brodus Clay, with the fauxhawk and the beard without a moustache.

Speaking of Brodus, he and Taryn Terrel both have happy teeth. Makes it harder to sell when every time you try to grimace in agony or growl with anger, it looks like you're wearing a beaming smile. That's why Brodus ended up as the funny dancing man. He can't be scary when his lips are parted.