DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What holds pro wrestling back from true mainstream acceptance is the fact that the biggest game in town has centered their promotion around a 80s cartoon character for the last decade. A decade is a long time.

To me wrestling is analogous to cartoons or comics. Things that the general population associated with childhood. The difference is both those genres had their breakout moments which appealed to adults (The Simpsons for cartoons, Graphic Novels/Movies for comics) and managed to build on them and stake a claim with large scale adult audience.

After WWE had their big breakout during the attitude era there was no second act. They ended up retreating to their bread and butter, which was family entertainment directed towards children.

While I appreciate and have great respect for John Cena, a huge chunk of the adult wrestling audience is embarrassed that he exists. And those are the people who already watch wrestling on a regular basis.

That's the reason why there was so much press when Punk dropped the pipebomb promo. There are closet casual wrestling fans all over the place. They are just waiting for wrestlings second act.

• Like 2

What holds wrestling back from the mainstream is that it was a con for most of its existence.  It was portrayed as "real" long past the point of absurdity and they still barely acknowledge that it's a work today.  Because of that, the mainstream thinks, rightly so, that wrestling is fucking ridiculous.  By extension, the people who enjoy wrestling simply must be a) stupid b  ) retarded c) children or d) all three. 

Wrestling's history as a con and its current stewards' refusal to do anything innovative to change the way they do business because the main guy behind it as a 70 year old holdover from the carny days is the reason the mainstream doesn't accept wrestling.  As far as who can change the mainstream's view of wrestling, WWE is all that's left, and they're doing things the same way they have forever.

• Like 1

I'm on my phone so I'm not putting a link here but TMZ is reporting that Kevin Nash and his 18 year old son were both arrested for a domestic dispute after getting into a brawl with each other. Both look smug as fuck in their mug shots, to the surprise of no one.

I'm on my phone so I'm not putting a link here but TMZ is reporting that Kevin Nash and his 18 year old son were both arrested for a domestic dispute after getting into a brawl with each other. Both look smug as fuck in their mug shots, to the surprise of no one.

According to Nash, the brawl drew 30,000 at the Garden.

• Like 20

Basically story is Nash beat up his 18 y/o son, gets arrested, a few hours later his son beats up his mother and the son gets arrested. Arrests hours apart. Not the same incident. So my guess is they all get drunk, Tristen says some dumb thing 18 y/o's say, gets into a fight with Big Kev, calls the cops, Big Kev gets arrested, mom yells at son for getting dad arrested, kid drunkenly attacks mom too and gets cops called on him

I'm jealous as hell of you guys who live where there's tons of indies running every weekend. I'd have to drive up to the Orlando/Tampa area to see indy wrestling and it's just too far. I don't think there are any good or notable promotions who regularly run the Fort Lauderdale area.

I don't know how far you are from Miami but Ronin Wrestling runs the Miami Airport Convention center usually once a month. They got a good roster like Colt Cabana, Los Ben Dejos, The Savages and other local talent, They are running a show on January 17th with guys like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Greg Valentine, Cabana, Matt Sydal and Mad Man Pondo.

They also run shows in New Port Richey with a lot of the FIP guys under Uproar Wrestling

Does the Garden even hold that many people?

If you count the people hanging from the rafters.

• Like 3

10.jpg

it does when they're hanging from the rafters, Brain.

• Like 1

Basically story is Nash beat up his 18 y/o son, gets arrested, a few hours later his son beats up his mother and the son gets arrested. Arrests hours apart. Not the same incident. So my guess is they all get drunk, Tristen says some dumb thing 18 y/o's say, gets into a fight with Big Kev, calls the cops, Big Kev gets arrested, mom yells at son for getting dad arrested, kid drunkenly attacks mom too and gets cops called on him

My assumption is that it was a late Festivus celebration. Airing of grievances, feats of strength, challenging the eldest male.....

• Like 14

Curt McGirt, on 24 Dec 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

If you don't like this, you got a problem.

I like that Kurisu dressed up as Al Borland for a street fight. That's a real man right there, and he can definitely fuck you up if he gets his hands on a power tool.

• Like 2

Love that match. Fuck Dave Meltzer saying Dick was lazy. I'd rather watch a match like Murdoch vs. Afa than a 30 minute epic with a 10 minute end run of kicking out of finishers.

When did he say that? He was talking about him the other day glowingly.
The rap against Murdoch was that he often took nights off and half-assed it in the ring.

The knock I always heard about his half-assing wasn't that he was lazy, but that he was capable on any given night of working a Three Stooges-style match. Which was part of the reason he apparently never got final approval to be NWA Champion at a couple of given points. He was talented enough, but too many of the Powers That Be didn't think he could be trusted with it.

It did that night, my friend.

• Like 10

The masochist in me wants to see Kevin & Tristan Nash vs. Scott & Cody Hall with special guest referee, Steve Harvey.

Shouldn't these teams be flipped after the Nash fight and the Cody theft?  Or Tristan and Cody could team up to be the "Ungrateful Little Shits" or something.