DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm jealous as hell of you guys who live where there's tons of indies running every weekend. I'd have to drive up to the Orlando/Tampa area to see indy wrestling and it's just too far. I don't think there are any good or notable promotions who regularly run the Fort Lauderdale area.

I don't know how far you are from Miami but Ronin Wrestling runs the Miami Airport Convention center usually once a month. They got a good roster like Colt Cabana, Los Ben Dejos, The Savages and other local talent, They are running a show on January 17th with guys like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Greg Valentine, Cabana, Matt Sydal and Mad Man Pondo.

• Like 1

Pro Wrestling is more analogous to an episodic, scripted television show than the Harlem Globetrotters. I honestly think that kayfabe is the biggest enemy of pro wrestling. You don't see pro wrestlers openly discussing the business on mainstream media outlets. Whenever Jim Parsons appears on late night TV, he's on there as "Jim Parsons" and not as "Sheldon Cooper." He also talks about his current projects, maybe drops some behind the scenes info. You never see a pro wrestler on mainstream TV saying "it was really fun to work with wrestler x, we should have a good performance on Sunday....etc." 

I disagree but kayfabe in the modern media era does inhibit publicity for pro wrestling. I do think that even if all pretense of out of the ring kayfabe was halted, business would not increase at all. It might as well be live "Power Rangers" then. Kayfabe is the beauty of the whole thing. Without it, it is just "fake fighting". Kayfabe is what I miss most about rasslin'.

- RAF

See, I don't know. I feel like most people think that wrestling fans actually think that wrestling is real. Kayfabe just kind of furthers that. I don't think that business would increase if you had John Cena appearing on (say) Jimmy Fallon breaking kayfabe on the same level that Bradley Cooper would if he were discussing a movie, but it might lessen the public stigma a bit. 

As nice as kayfabe was, we're also in an era where everyone wants every last detail about their favorite TV show and its stars.  

The sad thing is, I've actually met people-grown adults, mind you-who believed that most matches may be fake, but some are real. Or that wrestling used to be real (as in, back in the 70s, not the Gotch/Hackenschmidt era). I can't shake the feeling that people like this make up a larger portion of the fanbase than we'd like to admit.

Few years back at a XOW show I was talking to this man that was in his early 50s. Some of the pearls of wisdom I got from him.

1.Wrestling was real until Mid South/UWF folded. 

2.John Cena is the son of Greg Valentine.

3.Andre the Giant was only 6'3". But wore huge lifts in his boots to make him seem much taller.

4.Bam Bam Bigelow's head tats were fake. This guy knew the artist that traveled with Bam Bam painting them on each night before his match.

In my local schoolyard, the prevailing wisdom in the 90s was that WWF was fake, WCW was real sometimes, and that ECW was 100% real.

And The Giant was definitely Andre's son. 

Actually, some of my friends still think The Giant is Andre's son.

• Like 1

Few years back at a XOW show I was talking to this man that was in his early 50s. Some of the pearls of wisdom I got from him.

1.Wrestling was real until Mid South/UWF folded. 

2.John Cena is the son of Greg Valentine.

3.Andre the Giant was only 6'3". But wore huge lifts in his boots to make him seem much taller.

4.Bam Bam Bigelow's head tats were fake. This guy knew the artist that traveled with Bam Bam painting them on each night before his match.

I'm 6'3". I want the lifts that make me look like Andre.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Giant, is he one of the most athletic wrestlers ever, like if we were doing a consensus top-20 most athletic list, he'd be on that list? I'm watching Uncensored '96, and he takes a crazy over-the-corner bump against Loch Ness. Every big match he has in '95 and early '96, he's doing some other crazy move or bump that is just astonishing. 

That he was ever able to do that stuff at all flabbergasts me. Actually, Show is also very impressive for being in, what, his mid-40s and being that size and still being in quite good shape. This guy should be at the "Special Attraction" stage instead of the "gatekeeper for young guys we're pushing" stage in his career. 

This inspired piece of casting really flips my wig:

MV5BNzY2Nzg5NzI2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjg2

Roddy Piper as Oscar Wilde. I salute you, Upward Rising Development film production staff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3103620/?ref_=nv_sr_1

No other details, but they shall have my viewing eyes and maybe even my money.

"everything popular is wrong".

RAF

HEY GUESS WHAT?! I just did something special for you all at the DVDVRMB, in lieu of having any money to give to the site. For the holidays, I present to you a match not online to my knowledge, introduced to us by our patron saint DEAN of the Rasmussens some time ago.

Tarzan Goto/ Atsushi Onita vs Dragonmaster/ Masanobu Kurisu - Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling (4/1/1990)

Dragonmaster is Kendo Nagasaki so my I am torqued about the degree of possibility of assbeating in this. Let's crank up the VLC machine and watch this little baby, shall we? Onita enters confused and pissed, like all good deathmatches should start. Onita topes Kendo who reacts as if he has no idea of the concept of a tope which makes it truly awesome. Kendo flies through an entire section of chairs and then stands up BRAWLS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER. Maaaaaaan, Kendo Nagasaki is the great lost brawler of Puro. the punches are fucking AWWWWWESOME. KENDO IS AWWWESSSSOOME. He beats the dogshit out of Goto and it FUCKING RULES. Kendo fucking SLAUGHTERS Goto with a chair and then they start beating the shit out of each other in the ring. Kendo bumps to the floor and Goto goes after Kendo and this is truly why YOU watch pro wrestling. Onita and Kurisu opt to enter the match and both decide for the less strenuous "Bleed a Bucket But Let Goto Deal With Nagasaki" route. Kendo with the HIDEOUSLY GNARLEY Piledriver. Kurisu can take being upstaged by Kendo no longer and just CRUSHES Goto's skull with headbutts and blood is now flying all over the place. Jesus, Onita has to have the singular experience of saying, "At one point in my life, I was being simultaneously beaten to death by Kendo Nagasaki and Masanobu Kurisu! God, that sucked an ass!" For him. For us, it is fucking beautiful Professional Wrestling. Kurisu kicking Goto in the teeth with cowboy boots is soooo fucking great. Kendo is awesome beating Goto and Onita with a chair while Onita and Goto try to cover the other up. That is your story, Our friendship will WILL us to fight back with fighting spirit and THUS Goto and Onita go on offense. Onita isolates Kurisu and hits Thunder Fire Powerbombs for the win while Goto tries to keep Kendo from slaughtering the first 8 rows. POSSIBLY THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH. KENDO NAGASAKI IS YOUR OWN PERSONAL JESUS.

If you don't like this, you got a problem.

• Like 5

2.John Cena is the son of Greg Valentine

You know just thinking about it, Wrestling needs a new Valentine. Does Greg have any kids or nephews that wrestle? They can redo the whole "he's his brother...no wait son" gimmick Greg had with his Dad in the early 70's.

Also after being off the net for the last half day it's really infuriating reading that rumblings about Cena/Lesnar at the Rumble. Don't these people realize the money is to be made with Lesnar losing at Wrestlemania? I don't even care about Cena matching and than beating Flair's record. Cena beating Brock only to lose to Seth is just stupid. If you're gonna have Seth cash in, have him cash in on who ever beats Brock at WM.

I like how Goto jogged to the arena and Kendo looks like he stopped by Korakuen on his way to do groceries

Meanwhile, Kurisu-san was informed that instead of going to the swank line-dance at the local country bar, he was supposed to stop by and beat someone up with his boot. Onita decides to walk straight out of an ambulance taking him to the hospital.

• Like 1

I wonder if that fan got their jacket back after tying it to the chair that Onita gets smacked around with.

EDIT: That match was fucking awesome. As far as the clothing choices, Kurisu looked the most ridiculous. But I suppose that was his Texas look and so he gets points for sticking to the gimmick.

What holds pro wrestling back from true mainstream acceptance is the fact that the biggest game in town has centered their promotion around a 80s cartoon character for the last decade. A decade is a long time.

To me wrestling is analogous to cartoons or comics. Things that the general population associated with childhood. The difference is both those genres had their breakout moments which appealed to adults (The Simpsons for cartoons, Graphic Novels/Movies for comics) and managed to build on them and stake a claim with large scale adult audience.

After WWE had their big breakout during the attitude era there was no second act. They ended up retreating to their bread and butter, which was family entertainment directed towards children.

While I appreciate and have great respect for John Cena, a huge chunk of the adult wrestling audience is embarrassed that he exists. And those are the people who already watch wrestling on a regular basis.

That's the reason why there was so much press when Punk dropped the pipebomb promo. There are closet casual wrestling fans all over the place. They are just waiting for wrestlings second act.

• Like 2

What holds wrestling back from the mainstream is that it was a con for most of its existence.  It was portrayed as "real" long past the point of absurdity and they still barely acknowledge that it's a work today.  Because of that, the mainstream thinks, rightly so, that wrestling is fucking ridiculous.  By extension, the people who enjoy wrestling simply must be a) stupid b  ) retarded c) children or d) all three. 

Wrestling's history as a con and its current stewards' refusal to do anything innovative to change the way they do business because the main guy behind it as a 70 year old holdover from the carny days is the reason the mainstream doesn't accept wrestling.  As far as who can change the mainstream's view of wrestling, WWE is all that's left, and they're doing things the same way they have forever.

• Like 1

I'm on my phone so I'm not putting a link here but TMZ is reporting that Kevin Nash and his 18 year old son were both arrested for a domestic dispute after getting into a brawl with each other. Both look smug as fuck in their mug shots, to the surprise of no one.

I'm on my phone so I'm not putting a link here but TMZ is reporting that Kevin Nash and his 18 year old son were both arrested for a domestic dispute after getting into a brawl with each other. Both look smug as fuck in their mug shots, to the surprise of no one.

According to Nash, the brawl drew 30,000 at the Garden.

• Like 20