DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Wait, how does that work?  Is it like the finish Ricochet's been using where picks him up like a GTS, then he drops the guy completely to a standing position, then kicks him in the head?

Finishes like that suck.  "Hey, I'm going to pick you up and then put you down gently back on your feet.  The fact that I did nothing to you should confuse you so much that you won't be ready for this big strike."  Hero's been doing the same thing, letting guys down from suplexes and electric chairs to hit an elbow.  Really dumb looking.

I love Luke Harper to death but his fucking "hey imma pick you up for a suplex, but place you back down on your feet and punch you" move irks me. Dumbest shit since Christian's vaulting over the top rope to slap a guy move.

I rank these things up there with "heels are gonna heel" antics, done especially for "teh smarks."  Like the Bucks' flippy-dippy back rakes.  Or when Monty Brown used to tell fans behind the guardrail to scatter because he's gonna throw his opponent over the railing, only to then turn around and throw the opponent back in the ring under the bottom rope & then laugh at the fans for being willfully gullible, cheeseburger sloughing fat fucks.

I actually don't mind the electric chair one because he's behind the opponent so, conceivably, the opponent has to turn around to find Hero, giving him time to pull off an elbow.  Or I'm just allowing it because I like Hero, even out of shape Hero who gets winded doing British chain wrestling against Drew Gulak.

But suplex or GTS style is a little too much for me.

I love Hero's electric chair elbow fakeout. 

I don't watch every Dragon Gate show, but I was under the impression that Ricochet's finisher works a lot better there because most of his opponents are really familiar with it and are willing it take it full force. I've seen him do it in Dragon Gate last year where he would kick the guys head pretty much right before they landed on their feet. Any time I've seen him do it outside of Dragon Gate, it's pretty slow. He waits until after they land and then kicks them. Does he never do that fast one anymore?

Wonder if he'll use that move in Lucha Underground.

Hey, remember when everyone was talking about wrestlers having endorsements? How come no one mentioned the Diva that was affiliated with GoDaddy? Is it because all memory of her has been erased, both form continuity and our consciousnesses? Seriously; wasn't she, like, the franchise of the division at one point? Yet somehow, I can't even remember her name now.

Hey, remember when everyone was talking about wrestlers having endorsements? How come no one mentioned the Diva that was affiliated with GoDaddy? Is it because all memory of her has been erased, both form continuity and our consciousnesses? Seriously; wasn't she, like, the franchise of the division at one point? Yet somehow, I can't even remember her name now.

Never forgotten! My favorite diva of all time. Loved Candice's rise to the title in 2007, was awesome watching her improve so much and had a couple really enjoyable matches with Beth before injuries derailed her in ring career. Candice & Maryse as the top face and heel of the divas division would've ruled, always dug their exchanges in the Survivor Series 08 divas tag.

I can't believe you found that video. :)

Man, that was a good looking woman.

And now, if her twitter feed is any indication, becoming a mother has morphed her into an anti-pharmaceutical nut.

It was too bad that she was never the same after her initial injury.  I remember her comeback at a Raw taping in St. Louis where they had to edit an entire sequence with Beth Phoenix out of the TV airing since just about everything was botched.

It was too bad that she was never the same after her initial injury.  I remember her comeback at a Raw taping in St. Louis where they had to edit an entire sequence with Beth Phoenix out of the TV airing since just about everything was botched.

Not to be unkind, but how was that different than pre-injury Candice Michelle?

The woman was smoking hot, but she was by no means the most athletically-gifted Diva we've ever had.

Not to be unkind, but how was that different than pre-injury Candice Michelle?

The woman was smoking hot, but she was by no means the most athletically-gifted Diva we've ever had.

She was sort of becoming a second Trish Stratus. She went from just a model to decently good wrestler. Her rise to the title was actually pretty feel good and it's a shame Beth tripped her on the ropes and she landed on her head. She was never the same when she came back (probably afraid of getting hurt again and who could blame her). Candice could have been one of the best diva's of the latter part of the ought's.

• Like 1

RTE's documentary on Devitt, centering around his last week in Japan.

This was awesome thanks for sharing. I really need to get down to a ICW show.

Not that I'm anywhere near Glasgow, but yeah, the clips I've seen of that company seem pretty great.

One of my favorite little asides from the documentary was Gallows talking about how much freedom he had in NJPW, (the unspoken comparison being to WWE).

I kinda take offense to Trish being anything less than a good worker. Sure, her stuff didn't age at all. But she was a bump freak, sympathetic and actually got some of the other women over while she kept herself over.

Something that every chick that gets the 'next Trish' tag since she left has failed at. Or anyone that got dubbed the center of the divas really.

• Like 1

...ok, it's possible I don't remember that period so well, but point me towards a good Candice Michelle match, cuz I really don't remember her having any talent for wrestling at all.

If you have the Network, I think her best two is probably the GAB 07 match with Melina which while short is the best showcase of Candice on offense, great diving crossbody. And the Unforgiven 07 match with Beth, a solid underdog vs monster match, thought Candice looked awesome there and had a good performance throughout. The Candice/Beth rematch at No Mercy is a lot shorter but decent as well. I think they built to the 2/3 falls match on Raw and that's where she broke her collarbone.

Rewatching some of this 07 stuff, it seemed like they did better feud video packages more often then using the PPV theme music than they do now. Helped make matches like Batista/Khali/Rey seem like a bigger deal. The one from Survivor Series last month for the main event sticks out as the best in awhile.

Talking about potential Wrestlemania cards here and elsewhere has me thinking:

Since the streak is over, would the crowd shit on it if Taker had no match, and instead returned during the main event to cost Brock the title against (probably) Reigns? Do a bit where Reigns is all "not like this" and goes over Brock clean in a return match at Extreme Rules, a placeholder like Show or Kane at MITB, and then finally, if they can manage to stretch it that long, 'Taker at Summerslam, in a "passing of the torch" moment?

Sorry, I know we're over fantasy booking here, but this year is my final and most logical opportunity to bring my "Reigns is the new Taker" angle to the table. And naturally this all assumes that Taker can be in ring shape by August and Brock will actually stick around for another month after WM.