DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Joseph Parks/Abyss was one guy. Harms is talking about two guys playing the same character. Like Amazing Red starts the match, gets mad, lights go out, and boom, Crimson is in the ring.

That would be cool. I like the two guys you choice as examples.

I don't recall anyone literally doing a Jeckyl / Hyde gimmick with two different wrestlers.  A few guys have worked some sort of split personality gimmick.  That's what TNA did with Park.  Park would wrestle like a green, barely trained rookie until he saw blood, at which point he'd revert to Abyss but not remember it later.

God, for some reason this is reminding me of some article I saw a while back.  Some WWE writer gave an interview where he discussed rejected gimmicks.  Maria Kannellis supposedly proposed a split personality gimmick to management (good girl/dominatrix, basically).  That would probably have been terrible, even by WWE standards.

I don't recall anyone literally doing a Jeckyl / Hyde gimmick with two different wrestlers. A few guys have worked some sort of split personality gimmick. That's what TNA did with Park. Park would wrestle like a green, barely trained rookie until he saw blood, at which point he'd revert to Abyss but not remember it later.

God, for some reason this is reminding me of some article I saw a while back. Some WWE writer gave an interview where he discussed rejected gimmicks. Maria Kannellis supposedly proposed a split personality gimmick to management (good girl/dominatrix, basically). That would probably have been terrible, even by WWE standards.

There is no way Maria doing a split personality gimmick with one personality being a domme could be a bad thing.
  • Like 3

I had an idea kind of similar to that.  You have a guy, most preferably latino, who tries to wrestle in sort of a lucha style but he has a tendency to blow spots or always miss big dives and generally get beaten down by whomever he's in the ring with.  Then at some point in the match he puts on a mask (possibly belonging to a family member who was a famous luchador) and suddenly he's able to hit everything perfectly and get offense in on the opponent.

I had an idea years ago of a masked Lucha wrestler that detested being a Lucha wrestler, expected to wrestle a high flying flashy style so he cuts promos laying into the fans for expecting and demanding he wrestles a certain way based solely on how he looks. So he wrestles a more Memphis style (slow, taunting, stalling, playing with the crowd, Russian Leg Sweeps & Headlocks).

I've been here since, what, '09? '10? I didn't know what stuffing instead of potatoes meant until a discussion came up about it LAST MONTH. Taker must be pissed. 

No matter how insufferable the commentary can get, I still remember Tony and Heenan and Tenay and Dusty and Larry waffling on and on about the NWO during matches with no significance to them and that is still the brown standard for worst regular team commentary.

I had an idea years ago of a masked Lucha wrestler that detested being a Lucha wrestler, expected to wrestle a high flying flashy style so he cuts promos laying into the fans for expecting and demanding he wrestles a certain way based solely on how he looks. So he wrestles a more Memphis style (slow, taunting, stalling, playing with the crowd, Russian Leg Sweeps & Headlocks).

chavo jr?

chavo jr?

I was thinking that would kinda fit Vin Gerard (worked a masked luchador gimmick in Chikara, got unmasked and outed as a fake Mexican, worked more of a standard chickenshit heel style after that).

chavo jr?

I was thinking that would kinda fit Vin Gerard (worked a masked luchador gimmick in Chikara, got unmasked and outed as a fake Mexican, worked more of a standard chickenshit heel style after that).

Yeah in a way but I was thinking more of a masked Luchador with all the colorful tights and flair and all that and then wrestled the chickenshit heel style as a lucha guy. Even teasing he is gonna do high flying spots and then like flipping of the crowd instead or something.

So, since Lesnar is pretty obviously training for an MMA comeback, can we assume that Cena wins (LOL) at RR, followed by the Rollins cash-in, then Rollins vs. Reigns at Mania?

I brought that up some time ago, but it got laughed off/dismissed pretty quickly. Reigns/Rollins haven't had a real feud since the Shield split. I still think Rollins will walk into WrestleMania 31 as the World Heavyweight Champion. He's argubably their hottest heel, and they're positioning Reigns to take the Cena spot. It just makes sense. Cena/Reigns will get booed like a motherfucker.

and I'm a bit late on this, but @BigFresh: It was me that "argued" with you about who would close TLC, and I'm glad I was wrong.

• Like 2

OK, so Mania so far is looking like Rollins-Reigns, HHH-Sting, maybe Taker-Bray, and maybe Rusev-Rock.  I wonder what they do with Cena.  (Not to mention Ambrose and Ziggler.)

Is this based on something Meltzer said or something?  Rollins-Reigns seems somewhat plausible.  Those other matches involve part-timers who haven't appeared on tv or otherwise been confirmed for Mania.

Rusev/Rock is probably based on the Rock's interaction with him in Brooklyn on RAW a few months back. HHH/Sting is based off Survivor Series. Bray/Taker is a rumor I've been seeing a lot on a lot of websites, but I don't know if it's attributed to Meltzer or not. I don't think any of those are possible, save Trips and Sting. I'd put good money on Rock being done with in-ring competition for a while. Or until one of his movies bombs at the box office.

Considering how bad Taker looked last year, I don't see him in a match next year. Plus, the streak has been broken, so there's no real point for another Taker match.

Ambrose needs to end up in title match somehow. The Shield triple threat feels like a much bigger deal than Rollins/Reigns.

You can't have Lesnar destroy the entire roster over 18 months, and then have him drop the title in what is essentially a B PPV title match (Rumble title matches traditionally are terrible) or getting screwed out of it with no real ramifications/payback; especially after not having defended it for ages/commentators build up how fresh and rested he is.

Either Cena gets his win back against Lesnar, or Lesnar drops against Reigns at Mania. Anything else effectively renders the past 18 months a huge waste of time.

Rollins and Heyman betraying Lesnar and removing him from the WWE for *that* long has to be believable (I personally like the idea of him retiring after Mania, undefeated as champion or otherwise), and it needs to be believable to those booking it that the pay off is likely to occur, whether its 1-2 years down the track and essentially becomes what they hoped would happen with Jeff Hardy and Punk.

• Like 1

This may sound shitty from a "putting over new guys" perspective, and it doesn't really do anything for anyone involved, but I think it would be kinda cool for longtime fans: does Flair have his shit together enough to guest referee HHH/Sting if they go that route? He doesn't have to bump or anything. But if I'm WWE, and I'm looking to shill my Network, there is no better match than this to really get across the availability of matches with these guys through the years. "Ric Flair spent last decade going to war alongside HHH every night as part of Evolution! He turned on Sting 427 times in the two decades prior! Can he be trusted to call it down the middle at WrestleMania? Experience the careers of all three men involved, across the 80s, 90s and 2000s, culminating this Sunday at WrestleMania XXXI for only $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99 $9.99"