DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They should just replace Smackdown with NXT and let HHH and whomever else run it. I doubt that Vince would stay hands off if it was on network television, though. 

Random thought but John Cena has had the longest continuous run on top of any babyface in WWWF/WWF/WWE history. Even Bruno bowed out for a couple of years after 9 years. 

For reference, to match Cena's run, Steve Austin would've still been dropping stunners and drinking beer in 2008. 

I don't know that the people at NBCU would be happy having paid for SD! and getting NXT, since the perception might be that it's a "minor league" show (even if REvolution smoked anything the main roster has done in a good long while). Smackdown could totally be relevant again if they would run major angles and title changes on it, but it's a taped show, so it is what it is. I joked about an NXT invasion angle in the NXT thread on Thursday after the show, but a lot of people both here and elsewhere seem to think that putting those guys on TV is going to be some sort of magic bullet for the main shows, and unfortunately I don't think that would be the case.

Random thought but John Cena has had the longest continuous run on top of any babyface in WWWF/WWF/WWE history. Even Bruno bowed out for a couple of years after 9 years. 

For reference, to match Cena's run, Steve Austin would've still been dropping stunners and drinking beer in 2008. 

I was thinking about this last night when Heyman was talking about it on the post-show. Hogan had a longer run but that's only if you count the WCW/NWO years (and possibly the 2002 WWE comeback tour, which is still one of my favorite things ever in wrestling). I have to wonder, if not for the brand split, would Cena have really had as long of a run as he has? Not saying he hasn't had some great matches along the way or he didn't deserve a long run, it's just food for thought

I joked about an NXT invasion angle in the NXT thread on Thursday after the show, but a lot of people both here and elsewhere seem to think that putting those guys on TV is going to be some sort of magic bullet for the main shows, and unfortunately I don't think that would be the case.

If they want to improve Smackdown, they should call up the NXT creatives rather than the wrestlers.

• Like 1

When Vince says that Cena grabbed the brass ring, he really means it. Cena was initially treated as an after thought to Batista and Randy Orton on RAW, but he managed to get so over that Vince had to pay attention. Vince seems unusually willing to abandon Orton/Batista plans when a babyface gets hot. 

If not for the brand split, Cena would've never gotten pushed over the Evolution guys. 

I joked about an NXT invasion angle in the NXT thread on Thursday after the show, but a lot of people both here and elsewhere seem to think that putting those guys on TV is going to be some sort of magic bullet for the main shows, and unfortunately I don't think that would be the case.

If they want to improve Smackdown, they should call up the NXT creatives rather than the wrestlers.

SD! and NXT already swapped head writers like two months ago, I think. Which I guess means the positions are mostly meaningless.

If they are serious about trying to get people to watch Smackdown again they need do SOMETHING to make it different. It should have a totally different announce team from Raw. Not sure who they could pair Regal with but that's who I would go with as the color guy.

Renee Young. Wanna make the show different? Give it the first female play-by-play commentator on a major show in history. Plus, her chemistry with Regal is insane.

SD! and NXT already swapped head writers like two months ago, I think. Which I guess means the positions are mostly meaningless.

I say this as someone who has written copy for a living: Fuck writers. (Literally, cuz I need to get lai-I kid I kid) But no, wrestling doesn't need writers, at least not TV writers. Or at the least, it doesn't need more than a couple, the way NXT gets it done with one, just to help flesh out the work. Wrestling isn't written, it's booked.

• Like 4

If they are serious about trying to get people to watch Smackdown again they need do SOMETHING to make it different. It should have a totally different announce team from Raw. Not sure who they could pair Regal with but that's who I would go with as the color guy.

Renee Young. Wanna make the show different? Give it the first female play-by-play commentator on a major show in history. Plus, her chemistry with Regal is insane.

She is significantly worse than anybody on the main shows. She always sounds like she is reading a book and calling a show at the same time.

• Like 2

RandomAct, on 15 Dec 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Depends on if the crowd has a favorite.  If they put someone like Ambrose in that shit, I think a town like Philly or NYC would def be upset with a Reigns win.

Why would anyone expect Ambrose to win a match at this point? The biggest obstacle they face with Reigns' reaction is not having a Brock/Goldberg repeat at Mania. I think the Mania crowd will shit on Brock big time if they know it's his last match, and he may be going back to UFC. They could turn on the whole thing.

For me the safe bet is doing Reigns/Cena at Mania in a Hogan/Warrior repeat with the same result. You know the fans will hate Cena so this will be Reign's best shot at a big baby face pop for winning the gold.

Reigns should be fine in the short term. He's still quite over even with his deficiencies on the mic and in ring.

I'm ambivalent about Reigns, but I'm pretty ambivalent about all the ex-Shield guys right now. They were all better as a group than individually, even Ambrose, whose neo-Brian Pillman impression/gimmick/tribute is wearing thin to me right now.

• Like 1

I watched that whole damn Global marathon earlier this year and I swear I didn't see a single match with Manny Fernandez or Killer Tim Brooks. I just turned Global on as a fluke and there they are as a tag team. How long did that last? I have to add, that is one gross-looking and incredibly singular tag team. They just scream "sleazy, tough fucking wrestlers". 

I am just tired of reading the whole DB got buried argument when, next to Cena and Punk, he was given the most shit to do since 2011. It's mind blowing how he got over because his fans wouldn't accept that DB got squashed at WM when that was the fucking point. 

No, it wasn't. The squash was meant to tie a rocket to Sheamus.

• Like 1

Shit, if you get tired of watching Raw or want to see something in between commercials, Global on ESPN Classics is showing Bill Dundee vs. Eric Embry. I guess they're finally showing the good episodes!

EDIT: Billy Joe Travis has REALLY, REALLY good punches. #DVDVRbubble

I turned it on and I have to say Jeff Jarretts hair is incredible.

Shit, if you get tired of watching Raw or want to see something in between commercials, Global on ESPN Classics is showing Bill Dundee vs. Eric Embry. I guess they're finally showing the good episodes!

EDIT: Billy Joe Travis has REALLY, REALLY good punches. #DVDVRbubble

And a REALLY, REALLY bad haircut.  Like Gary Spivey without the glitter.