DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think they're just marking time until Lesnar, & Reigns come back.  buyrates no longer matter. Unsure if I'll watch I really want to see the Dallas v Philly game tonight. I don't think it's remotely possible that Bryan will ever be able to come back.

I think they're just marking time until Lesnar, & Reigns come back.  buyrates no longer matter. Unsure if I'll watch I really want to see the Dallas v Philly game tonight. I don't think it's remotely possible that Bryan will ever be able to come back.

Bryan really could not have picked a worse time to get injured.  They finally got behind him for a longer title reign (I'm aware that the Kane program was shit though) and it all goes to hell. 

Some days I feel like Bryan will be #30 in the Rumble, some days I feel like we're never gonna see him again. Part of me thinks he might even need a Shawn Michaels 98-02 type break.

I do think some people might want to outdo NXT too, especially after Vince's comments.

Good: we might get some really nice matches tonight

Bad: we might see Dolph die on live television.

I think they've given up on Bryan coming back anytime soon when Brie stopped being a tribute act to him.

Same here.  I took Brie's heel turn as acknowledgment that Bryan won't be back anytime soon.

Do they strap the rocket to Bryan if/when he does come back?  Vince is said to be gunshy about going all in on guys with health or drug issues  (of course, the company is still pushing Randy "Made of Porcelain" Orton, and would probably give Jeff Hardy a monster push if he re-signed tomorrow).

I think they've given up on Bryan coming back anytime soon when Brie stopped being a tribute act to him.

Same here.  I took Brie's heel turn as acknowledgment that Bryan won't be back anytime soon.

Do they strap the rocket to Bryan if/when he does come back?  Vince is said to be gunshy about going all in on guys with health or drug issues  (of course, the company is still pushing Randy "Made of Porcelain" Orton, and would probably give Jeff Hardy a monster push if he re-signed tomorrow).

My thinking is that they won't strap him with the rocket if they have someone like Reigns instead.  I think he'll end up as an upper mid-carder/occasional main event babyface.  It's been obvious Vince is reluctant to go with the guy as a main stud.  Even after he got the strap and got put over by three of the biggest WWE guys ever, they ended up booking him to run away from Kane in their program.

Bryan as baby face gate keeper/part time main eventer isn't the worst use of him, anyway. But I want to see how behind him the crowds are when/if he's been back for a few months. If it's still 2013/14 levels, you almost have to put him back on top

My thinking is that they won't strap him with the rocket if they have someone like Reigns instead.  I think he'll end up as an upper mid-carder/occasional main event babyface.  It's been obvious Vince is reluctant to go with the guy as a main stud.  Even after he got the strap and got put over by three of the biggest WWE guys ever, they ended up booking him to run away from Kane in their program.

I still hate how the internet thinks DB got the short end of the stick during his run.

I still hate how the internet thinks DB got the short end of the stick during his run.

Well, on one hand, over 9 months or less, he beat 4 major stars clean and got a lot of good tv time/angles.  On the other hand, Vince wasn't very confident in him since he gave him two shitty reigns and then gave his push to the Big Show.  Vince then gave Bryan a garbage man outfit for a while before starting to come around in the beginning of the year.  Even then, Vince still thought Batista/Orton was going to be this huge draw and it was until February where he had no choice but to switch the main at Mania.  Then, in a program with Kane, he's booked to be a coward after Kane threatened his wife.  Good lord, he already beat Kane on a fucking episode of Main Event, so why in hell is he afraid of Kane?  Why in hell was he worked over by Kane in that feud?  Bryan should've said "fuck you" to Kane, "I beat 3 guys in one night, I can sure as shit beat you."  Then he gets injured.  Most of the time, in physical altercations, besides Mania and SS, he was booked to look weak.

"Wah wah. DB wasn't booked to beat everyone in 45 fucking minute long repeats of Puro matches from 1984 that only two people in the last 20 years watched the entire through. They buried him! Why can't the WWE learn how to book a 5'9" guy who weights 180 soaking wet holding TWO bricks right?! He should be beating everyone! WAH WAH!"

• Like 3

Bryan as baby face gate keeper/part time main eventer isn't the worst use of him, anyway. But I want to see how behind him the crowds are when/if he's been back for a few months. If it's still 2013/14 levels, you almost have to put him back on top

I'd guess the ephemeral nature of fandom will have passed DB by.

How many times has he been on tv since his initial injury in may? 2 or 3 times?

I kinda wonder what Vince himself thinks of the "indy superstar" experiment.  Vince has historically had the mindset that he didn't need established indy guys.  He went out, found guys with the look he wanted (read: Mason Ryan), retrained them from scratch to work the WWE style, and ran with them.  Now they're signing established indy names that wouldn't have gotten a first glance 10 years ago, emphasizing ring work, and..... one of their two big success stories got seriously injured before he really got going, and the other quit and went home while he was number two in the company.  Vince is probably wondering if he could make any money off Rob Terry.

The thing about Bryan and Punk's rapid physical decline is that they both spent the better part of a decade in the indys taking bookings anywhere they could get them, working a lot of guys who were badly or barely trained, and taking absurd bumps (Punk/Hero IWA-MS matches, I'm looking at you). I assume their health care during this period wasn't the greatest.  They get to the big time, where they should be working a better class of opponents with access to better physical therapy and a minimal number of really crazy bumps.... and they both break down very quickly.  Kinda makes you wonder who can survive that sort of schedule and how they'rer doing it.

I assume everyone on the roster goes to the doctor Super Cena saw when Jesus stabbed him.  Dude was recovered from that in barely a week.  He could get Bryan and Edge back on their feet in two days, tops.

"Wah wah. DB wasn't booked to beat everyone in 45 fucking minute long repeats of Puro matches from 1984 that only two people in the last 20 years watched the entire through. They buried him! Why can't the WWE learn how to book a 5'9" guy who weights 180 soaking wet holding TWO bricks right?! He should be beating everyone! WAH WAH!"

Nobody actually made this argument, but Ebbie sure did a great job of beating this tired strawman agrument to death!

• Like 1

I never once said he should be booked in long matches in some internet fan fantasy.  I'm not an idiot.  I know that matches/workrate don't mean shit for business.

I'd love to see how Vince would handle owning the UFC.  GSP would have been working opening fights because he was too small.

I think matches are important but so are the stories and that's where WWE is lacking. There's no creativity. Bryan's chase was a classic underdog story. Fans liked him. He seemed like a nice guy. But I also think it was the in-ring work that helped get him to that point. He was on this ridiculous streak with hot tags against The Shield and back and forths with people like Cesaro.

I'm not even sure what the story behind Rollins and Cena is. I get that Cena might lose his title shot but why should we care about that when it's obvious he'll just get another one a month from now? They need to start sticking to some of these stips. Look at the Bellas thing. Why invest time in this shit when 1. they didn't really play up the personal assistant thing all that much and 2. they are already back together.

They did that same shit with the Nexus and Cena feud. Cena was "fired" for like 18 hours. Fuck.